GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 03:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

McCombs vs LSE Finance PhD

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
McCombs vs LSE Finance PhD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 21:15
Which of them do you prefer?
In terms of top publications(JF,JFE,RFS,AER,QJE) it seems that McCombs Finance is a little better. Although LSE is also very good and more toward economics ( more AER and QJE).

in terms of placements it seems also McCombs is also slightly better, they've had top placements LBS,USC,BC and good placements like Houston,Dallas,Arizona&Utah. On the Other hand LSE has had top placements like SSE,HEC and good placements like Arizona,McGill,WashingtonU,INSEAD.

I don't know about the exact funding/cost of living but I can guess London is more expensive and US universities tend to be more generous. Obviously London is one of the best cities in the world.

But It should be noted that LSE is a brand, worldwide and especially in Europe. its econ is obviously top ten in the world.

Also I'm neutral between working in US or Europe afterwards. I'm way more leaning to academic positions although money is also very important(so roughly I would prefer a business offer of 500k to an academic offer of 200k, but I prefer academic offer of 200k to business offer of 300k).

Which one do you prefer?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: McCombs vs LSE Finance PhD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 16:55
andreiAP wrote:
Which of them do you prefer?
In terms of top publications(JF,JFE,RFS,AER,QJE) it seems that McCombs Finance is a little better. Although LSE is also very good and more toward economics ( more AER and QJE).

in terms of placements it seems also McCombs is also slightly better, they've had top placements LBS,USC,BC and good placements like Houston,Dallas,Arizona&Utah. On the Other hand LSE has had top placements like SSE,HEC and good placements like Arizona,McGill,WashingtonU,INSEAD.

I don't know about the exact funding/cost of living but I can guess London is more expensive and US universities tend to be more generous. Obviously London is one of the best cities in the world.

But It should be noted that LSE is a brand, worldwide and especially in Europe. its econ is obviously top ten in the world.

Also I'm neutral between working in US or Europe afterwards. I'm way more leaning to academic positions although money is also very important(so roughly I would prefer a business offer of 500k to an academic offer of 200k, but I prefer academic offer of 200k to business offer of 300k).

Which one do you prefer?

Hello andreiAP

Both schools are top.

Most importantly, why we are debating this, since from your post is not clear that you got admission to both schools?

It just sound that you are contemplating, where to apply.

Apply to both.

You cannot know in advance where you would be admitted.

I can go through some of your points, although it is unnecessary at this stage, for reasons mention above :).

LSE is famous for Economics.

This is what their name stand for London School of Economics and Political Science.

Their brand is obviously about Econ and they are number 1 in Europe for that subject.

You will do fine with placement with both schools, don't worry about that.

In terms of publication and journals, you should worry more about research topics that interest you and corresponding professorS that do research and publish in those areas.

That is something we do when we pick schools for application list, since they are both on your list that is already set, how ever you can compare them in that matter.

What kind of research by topic you are interested in Finance ?

Or you don't have much preference at this stage, just general sense ?

London is indeed great city, especially for Finance jobs.

Austin is also great in terms of employment and living opportunities.

Here it is, cost of living comparison head to head, Austin vs. London:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... rrency=USD

Indices Difference

Consumer Prices in Austin, TX are 13.52% lower than in London
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Austin, TX are 20.49% lower than in London
Rent Prices in Austin, TX are 29.38% lower than in London
Restaurant Prices in Austin, TX are 12.89% lower than in London
Groceries Prices in Austin, TX are 11.93% higher than in London
Local Purchasing Power in Austin, TX is 51.24% higher than in London

Clearly, Austin is more affordable.

However, be aware that regarding working in academia which is your preference (if salary is decent, which would be :) ) you will almost certainly move to another institution upon graduation.

Bottom line, you should apply to both and my bet is that along the application process/interviews, with final admission decisions and potential financial package offer, you will be in position to clearly differentiate and decide and which one you prefer.

Good luck :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Re: McCombs vs LSE Finance PhD &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jul 2018, 16:55

McCombs vs LSE Finance PhD

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: carcass, billionaire

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap