GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 08:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mid course correction! need advice!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Mid course correction! need advice!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 00:45
Hi,
I've been prepping for about 3 months for the GMAT, and i;ve put a significant effort into it. When i started prep, i could barely manage a q44 v 26. :shock:
i bought the following books : NOVA GMAT math prep. Barron's GMAT math prep. manhattan verbal set. complete OG set. Manhattan advanced quant.
after a month i decided to take a test and bought the veritas test set. i have given 4 tests so far and I have generally managed to score a q 47/48( whether im having a good day or a bad one)
and v 30 or 31. :x
In the verbal, i am really good at the reading comprehension , above average at CR and terrible at SC
In my last manhattan test, i got a 680 Q 48 V 35

1. How accurate is the manhattan score, esp the verbal part.
2. any ideas on how i can really ace the SC ( im working on it . using the manhattan SC and e-gmat SC. I hate studying for SC . Might take me some time to finish it.)
3. I dont think i have the time to solve all the OG questions( i have all three books ). Is this going to be a problem? would attempting the last 50 in each section suffice? I havnt even finished all my quant books which ive mentioned above.
4. In case i really run out of time, i intend to solve all the questions from the gmat prep software + additional 4 test packs. I felt a couple of questions in the veritas and manhattan tests were really really tough and when i looked them up, certain posts on gmat club and other such websites said they weren't very good questions. So i intend on avoiding such questions and wasting my time.
5. Any tips or ideas on how i can use my last 28 days to capitalize on my work so far.

Thanks! :-D
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Mid course correction! need advice!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 18:33
Hi shershahsuri,

Based on your recent CAT scores, you've made some really nice progress from your earlier GMAT score (back in January). Before we can discuss how to raise these recent scores even higher, I'd like to know a bit more about how you've been taking your CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 20:48
shershahsuri wrote:
Hi,
I've been prepping for about 3 months for the GMAT, and i;ve put a significant effort into it. When i started prep, i could barely manage a q44 v 26. :shock:
i bought the following books : NOVA GMAT math prep. Barron's GMAT math prep. manhattan verbal set. complete OG set. Manhattan advanced quant.
after a month i decided to take a test and bought the veritas test set. i have given 4 tests so far and I have generally managed to score a q 47/48( whether im having a good day or a bad one)
In the verbal, i am really good at the reading comprehension , above average at CR and terrible at SC

2. any ideas on how i can really ace the SC ( im working on it . using the manhattan SC and e-gmat SC. I hate studying for SC . Might take me some time to finish it.)
3. I dont think i have the time to solve all the OG questions( i have all three books ). Is this going to be a problem? would attempting the last 50 in each section suffice? I havnt even finished all my quant books which ive mentioned above.
4. In case i really run out of time, i intend to solve all the questions from the gmat prep software + additional 4 test packs. I felt a couple of questions in the veritas and manhattan tests were really really tough and when i looked them up, certain posts on gmat club and other such websites said they weren't very good questions. So i intend on avoiding such questions and wasting my time.
5. Any tips or ideas on how i can use my last 28 days to capitalize on my work so far.

It's good that your overall score has increased gradually :-D

1. The verbal score in Mangattan CAT is rather similar to the actual one. The range is +/- 10.

2. You could take a look at this post
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... l#p1643215

3. There are many many members in this forum who have already scored a 700+ score said that they didn't solve every question on OG books but they did have a good strategy to boost up their score.

5. EMPOWERgmatRichC could answer this quetsion.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 13:16
shershahsuri wrote:
Hi,

Best way to improve SC, after you have learned the Rules, is to find all the errors in every option before looking at the solution during the revision. This way, you will get a better hold of the grammar rules that you know and it gets easier to learn the new ones.

Quant and Verbal Review are Very easy books but I would say that not solving the OG with all the 5 sections is not a very good idea. This is because OG taught all the prep companies about the rules of grammar and logic of CR that is tested in the Exam.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

SVP
SVP
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 17:17
Top Contributor
shershahsuri wrote:
Hi,

Don't hate on SC. For many reasons, SC is often the easiest area to improve - there's the least amount of text in the question - so the time required to answer is usually much less than it is for CR and RC questions that often contain many paragraphs.

You don't necessarily have to solve all OG questions - but it doesn't hurt to go through them. As a resource, you may find our video explanations to OG SC questions helpful as you study: www.gmatpill.com/official-guide

You often focus on solving the questions - spend more time actually reviewing your mistakes and adjusting your thought process as you go. Adapting is what matters. Simply solving them won't get you anywhere.

If you are looking for additional practice tests, you may find this link useful: www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/practice-test

We recommend taking a practice test 1 week before your test - and spend that last week reviewing. For the immediate day before the test - budget that day to relax and lightly review. Save your energy for the real thing.

For more study questions, go to: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 04:42
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi shershahsuri,

Based on your recent CAT scores, you've made some really nice progress from your earlier GMAT score (back in January). Before we can discuss how to raise these recent scores even higher, I'd like to know a bit more about how you've been taking your CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Rich

1. Yes i always take the entire CAT each time including the essay and the IR
2. I took it at home, but in an isolated condition. I have given the GMAT tice earlier and believe the environment is similar
3.. Yes i took the CAT at the same time of the day at which i intend to give the real one.
4. No i have not, however i have extended my break from the regular 8 minutes to 10 minutes on occasion, but nothing else
5. No i have not taken the same CAT before and had not seen the questions earlier.

as of today i have about 22 days left for my exam. i gave a GMAT prep test exam pack which i had bought from the official website day before yesterday. i scored a 640 with a 49 Q and 29 V. For the record, i was disturbed while giving my verbal and was in a very foul mood . this may have affected the score to a significant extent. I still feel very unsure of myself when i approach sentence correction problems . I have not studied from the OG boooks, yet
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 04:43
umg wrote:
shershahsuri wrote:
Hi,

Best way to improve SC, after you have learned the Rules, is to find all the errors in every option before looking at the solution during the revision. This way, you will get a better hold of the grammar rules that you know and it gets easier to learn the new ones.

Quant and Verbal Review are Very easy books but I would say that not solving the OG with all the 5 sections is not a very good idea. This is because OG taught all the prep companies about the rules of grammar and logic of CR that is tested in the Exam.

Thanks, ddo you think i have time? ive got 22 days till my exam. im using the manhattan SC book and i have the e-gmat SC course as well.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 11:06
Hi shershahsuri,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your CAT score results show a general ability right around 660 (+/- a few points). To push this to a higher level, you need to try to define WHY you're getting questions wrong. While completing a full Mistake Tracker/Error Log would be far more detail-oriented, here are a few questions that you should ask yourself about each CAT performance:

After reviewing each section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

The exact answers to these questions are important, as they will define what you should focus on in these last few weeks.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mid course correction! need advice! &nbs [#permalink] 02 May 2017, 11:06

Mid course correction! need advice!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Try it for free Online, personalized course | Unlimited tutor support | Special GMAT Club discount | GMAT Club tests included
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap