Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
First thing - don't compare your score to others on this site! Each person has his or her own capabilities and expectations.

I know how you feel. I was expecting at least a 550+ as well but got a 480 (Q27, V28) on my first attempt last week. I've taken this week off to clear my head and get motivated again so I'm going to start back up tomorrow. I've been more active on this board and I think it has helped. Everyone here has a great attitude and offer great advice.

My advice to you is take some time off and clear your mind. Then come back with a furious vengeance to conquer the test! Keep an error log and go to town on Q (which is my weak area as well). Start with the basics and go from there. I aced all my math courses in undergrad (which unfortunately was 5+ years ago) but have since forgotten many of the basic math concepts out there. But the killer for me is really DS!

Hang in there and don't give up! People generally say to plan for 2-3 attempts before you get the score you want so if you think about it, we just took a "warm up" test :-D

Originally posted by ValleyBall1 on 07 Oct 2005, 18:46.
Last edited by ValleyBall1 on 07 Oct 2005, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Miradis, don`t be so down on yourself. It took me a few weeks of soul searching after being mortified by a low score as well, until I finally realized that the GMAT is just a test, a test created by humans which can be conquered by humans. Virtually no one scores as well as he or she would like to on the first (or even second) try. Take a few days off, revamp your study plan, and start actively participating in the forum. I also recommend that you get into the habit of reading the answer explanations very, very carefully.

Incidentally, I have a friend here in Japan who scored a 290 on her first attempt. That was three years ago. She has since taken the test six times and slowly risen through the ranks to reach a well deserved 610, ultimately securing a seat at George Washington University. Whenever I think I can`t do it, I reflect on her accomplishment and within seconds become reinspired.

Don`t give up. Keep your head high and your knuckles down! We are all here to support you. Believe in yourself and you will succeed :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Miradis, I can understand your disappointment. Now, it is time to turn this disappointment in to positive energy.
Remember, Nobody is stupid. Just that some need more hard work.
To start with, practice the OG from Q # 1 of each section. That should take you thru easy to tough questions. Make necessary corrections at each step. You will see the change.

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Miradis,

I scored a 440 on my first attempt and after taking Kaplan. I then went for private tutoring. The tutor pointed out that I approach every question as though it is difficult and that wastes a lot of time. I had never realized or looked at it in that way before. Not everything is as difficult as it appears. Hang in there.

PS. I have a better understanding of the questions now. The exam is crap, but an obsticle that we all must overcome.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Have you considered other school whoc does not require GMAT?In UK you can get to schools like Strathclyde, Bradfod etc which are in top 100 without GMAT.
S
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Help! [#permalink]
hey guys, i am a new entrant to the group.
my exam is three days away and i am dying..after reading what you guys have done, i dont think i am half as close...
ugh!! why didnt i join the club earlier.
please guys help me with the kind of questions...also please help me on where i should do probab and permu from.please please please.

Meenal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Re: Help! [#permalink]
meenal_10 wrote:
hey guys, i am a new entrant to the group.
my exam is three days away and i am dying..after reading what you guys have done, i dont think i am half as close...
ugh!! why didnt i join the club earlier.
please guys help me with the kind of questions...also please help me on where i should do probab and permu from.please please please.

Meenal.

Meenal,

You should probably start a new thread - you will get more responses.

Read the "sticky" notes in the Quantitative forum called "Math Questions and Intellectual Discussion" - some of them point to some websites which will help some with probablity and permutations and combinations.

Best of luck and do tell us what the result was.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help! [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts