GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Mistakes i made in 1st attempt & how i'm trying to rectify them

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Mistakes i made in 1st attempt & how i'm trying to rectify them  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 07:22
Hello,

I gave my GMAT test in Sept 2018
I prepared for two months (one-month classroom training and one month practicing at home)
and scored 500. (was devastated)
I knew I wasn't prepared and had not given my 100% but I couldn't wrap my head around the low score (wanted to get 600+)

I am planning to give my second attempt by February 2019
and I am aiming for 700+

Here are few of the Mistakes I made:-
1) Booking the date before mock exams
Anyone planning to give a GMAT exam should at least give 2-4 mocks and if and only if one is getting the desired score, one should book the exam.
it adds unnecessary pressure and you spend money on rescheduling it.

2) Focused more on grilling than on Reviewing
Focus more on reviewing your mistakes, analyze your weakness and also your strengths. spend a good amount of time reviewing.
Be as attentive and fresh you are while reviewing as you are while practicing

Mistakes on the test day
3) Gave more importance to time division rather than on accuracy i divided time and number of questions into two halves so that I can complete my exam on time, which i realized was a huge mistake.
I should have focused on getting the starting questions right

4) left two questions in Quant.
I got so involved in solving the third last question that I couldn't even mark answers for the last two questions.
which was another terrible mistake.

Mistakes Post Exam
5) Took a very long break
A Break after the exam is much needed but I took a break which lasted one month, couldn't find the strength to start studying again and when i started studying again it was like I was starting from scratch.

So, This time is going to be different
Things i will do differently:-
1) Book only once i am ready and have a consistent mock score of around 680-700
2) Practice more and review
3) Improve my stamina by solving a good amount of questions
4) Not fall for the anxiety trap

And be motivated by all the success stories on GMAT forum :D
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Mistakes i made in 1st attempt & how i'm trying to rectify them  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 07:45
Feedback and suggestions would largely depend on your sectional scores. Let us know your individual scores in the Quant and Verbal section.

To be honest and realistic, a 200 point score jump is highly unlikely in 2 months unless you are a total pro in standardized test, or willing to spend 8+ hours a day with complete focus. In other words, 500 to 700 would require 3-6 months duration, under ideal circumstances.

1. Practice Tests: How many practice tests did you take before the actual GMAT, over what period of time? More importantly, what were your scores.

2. Practices Test Reviews: Yes, review of every attempted practices test is mandatory and highly beneficial for score improvement.

3. Unanswered Question: I'm sure you know that GMAT severely punishes for unanswered questions, and the there could very well be a steep drop in sectional score. You're better off incorrectly answering a question rather than leaving a string of questions at the end of the section.

4. Post Exam Break: Yes, some test takers lose the rhythm if they are away from GMAT for a significantly long duration. However, you can always make a fresh start because the concepts tested on the GMAT are very basic.

Divya, I would strongly recommend you enroll to an Online course. Personally, I found EMPOWERgmat to be extremely beneficial. The course is designed to comfortably get you close to a 700, if not more. I do not intend to be a spokesperson for EMPOWERgmat, but it sure helped me get a 720 on my first attempt.
I would also recommend you enroll to the GMAT Club Test Series; the Quant test are one of the best available resources. And, check out the videos of GMATNinja on the official channel of GMAT Club in YouTube; Charles is a Verbal God, to be honest. The more you give information about your score and testing strategies, the more precise help you'd receive from the forum.

EMPOWERgmatRichC GMATNinja

In order to reach the next tier, I need kudos.

Please provide me with kudos in case you like my post. Thank you :)

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Re: Mistakes i made in 1st attempt & how i'm trying to rectify them  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 14:46
I personally panicked during my first attempt yesterday
I could not concentrate ...my brain could not process properly
The whole time I was struggling ...and I was not used to the huge screen
At least I know what’s like to be in a real test now . I will be better prepared next time.
By the way , that’s was my first time ever to take verbal and maths together ... felt different
Failed miserably in IR
The fact that I was not ready for writing at all ... ruined my moral even before the test got started

Learn from mistakes and experiences .. you will do better next time

I knew I could score a 700+ score , even if it’s a bad day ,but I didn’t realize that it could be that bad ... my brain went dead .. I was extremely lucky to be able to still get a 700+ score .. just pure luck .

GMAT is not just a test of skills , but also a test of ones nerve !!!

Posted from my mobile device
RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 16:53
Hello divyadamahe ....... sorry to hear about the first attempt.

But, as you already have decided to take the plunge, Heartiest congratulations. All your points are valid and so are the points from DisciplinedPrep. I would like to add 1 more thing - start relaxing in the last week and sleep very well before the exam day (not only the night before but also try more sleep during that week). As you already have taken the test... believe me you will see the difference.

Good Luck !!

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 12:43
Hi divyadamahe,

From your post, it's unclear how long you took 'off' from your studies since you took the GMAT in September. By extension, have you just now restarted your studies or have you been studying for awhile?

Before I can offer you the specific advice about how to best proceed with this next phase of your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far including CATs/mocks?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? Have you taken any CATs in December?

Goals:
3) When in February are you planning to take the GMAT?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 18:24
Thank you for sharing your story! If you need any advice regarding your study plan for your retake, feel free to reach out, and I’ll be happy to help.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mistakes i made in 1st attempt & how i'm trying to rectify them &nbs [#permalink] 31 Dec 2018, 18:24

Mistakes i made in 1st attempt & how i'm trying to rectify them

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap