GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mock GMAT,need urgent advice! GMAT in 10 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.54
Mock GMAT,need urgent advice! GMAT in 10 days  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 12:54
Hi ,
Took the official practise test (test 1) and scored a 740 with Q50 and V 39.

Is there something weird with this score as I made 8 mistakes in 31 quant questions and 9 mistakes in the 36 verbal questions ?

I'm trying to improve from a Q50,V35 in my last attempt which I got a 700.

I'm freaking out considering the number of mistakes I've made and the score that shows up in my mock test.

Could someone clarify why this has happened? or should I be happy that my score is this good in a practise test? I do plan on analysing my mistakes soon but the quant ones seem to be the easy questions actually.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Mock GMAT,need urgent advice! GMAT in 10 days  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 15:00
rjunak wrote:
Hi ,

Is there something weird with this score as I made 8 mistakes in 31 quant questions and 9 mistakes in the 36 verbal questions ?

I'm freaking out considering the number of mistakes I've made and the score that shows up in my mock test.

Could someone clarify why this has happened? or should I be happy that my score is this good in a practise test? I do plan on analysing my mistakes soon but the quant ones seem to be the easy questions actually.

hello rjunak

Of course you should be happy with your test score.

And of course you should not freak out, especially not when test is near, since GMAT test is very much a psychological game as well.

Your mind set will influence greatly your score on test day, either in positive or negative way.

You should try to stay positive, be calm and focus.

Now, I suppose we are talking about GMATprep test 1.

It could be a little on easier side, than what you can expect on test day.

After all, those retired questions are somewhat old.

However, best thing to do is to take another official one and then compare the results and also carefully review mistakes.

Then I would took average score of last two official test as approximate score predictor for real exam.

I assume you already know that your performance can deviate + - 30 on any test day, as usual standard deviation, keep in mind that also.

With peaceful focused mind, let it be +30 ;)

Your personal feeling what was easy for you, is a good sign actually.

GMAC test is still best possible score estimator that you can rely on.

Good Luck ! :thumbup:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 21:44
rjunak wrote:
Hi ,

Hi
A score of 740 on the official GMAC practice test is very good. There is a very complicated logic that works for your score determinant. It doesn't depend on the number of questions you got wrong but on the the level of questions you got wrong. Also lot many factors such as number of questions wrong or right in a sequence, number of questions wrong/right in first 10 questions, etc. You can find some topics on the scoring pattern analysis in Gmatclub.
However, analyze your mistakes and try to avoid silly mistakes.
IMO you are on your way to a good score. Keep posted.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 00:06
Agree with the previous answers.
However, I'd also add: However, taking any test in order to “know where you stand” misses the point. Your score on a practice test is a nice bit of gossipy information to share with friends who are also studying, and if you did well, brag, by all means. But this isn’t the point of these tests. The reason to take mock tests is that they are a vital part of your study and improvement process.

If you have any additional questions, fell free to ask me here

Watch free GMAT tutorials in Math, Verbal, IR, and AWA.

GMAT test takers: Watch now the GMAC interview with the people who write the GMAT test!
We discussed the chances of improving a GMAT score; how important the first questions on the test are; what to do if you don’t have enough time to complete a whole section; and more.

You can watch all the action from the interview here.

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 10:26
Hi rjunak,

Awesome job with the 740! There is no need to freak out. And yes, you should be happy!

Regarding your number of mistakes, remember, your GMAT score depends on not only the number of mistakes made, but also the difficulty of the questions you answer correct/incorrect.

As I like to tell my students, you really should focus on the things you can control, and the number one thing you can control is getting better at the GMAT, right? That being said, when is your actual GMAT?

You may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mock GMAT,need urgent advice! GMAT in 10 days &nbs [#permalink] 26 Aug 2018, 10:26

Mock GMAT,need urgent advice! GMAT in 10 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap