GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jun 2019, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Most citizens of nineteenth-century London believed that remaining res

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
WE: Account Management (Accounting)
Premium Member
Most citizens of nineteenth-century London believed that remaining res  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 23:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (00:35) correct 14% (00:45) wrong based on 66 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Most citizens of nineteenth-century London believed that remaining respectable was more important and more difficult than to question the virtues of the age.

(A) to question

(B) questioning

(C) the question of

(D) a question over

(E) all

source : http://www.gmat-ask.narod.ru/gmat/gmscex1.htm
CrackVerbal Verbal Expert
S
Re: Most citizens of nineteenth-century London believed that remaining res  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2019, 02:36
Quote:
Most citizens of nineteenth-century London believed that remaining respectable was more important and more difficult than to question the virtues of the age.

(A) to question

(B) questioning

(C) the question of

(D) a question over

(E) almost citizens of nineteenth-century London believed that remaining respectable was more important and more difficult than to question the virtues of the age

The right answer is B. This is a relatively straightforward question that primarily tests your knowledge of parallelism and comparisons. The rule you're looking out for here is that two entities being compared must be grammatically similar to each other. We can see from the non-underlined portion that one of the things being compared is "remaining respectable". Remaining should therefore be compared to "questioning".

Immediately, this helps us eliminate all options but the correct answer B.

Remember, no matter how easy a question appears, the right way to solve it is still to eliminate all the other answers.

- Matoo
G
Re: Most citizens of nineteenth-century London believed that remaining res  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2019, 07:48

(A) to question --> not parallel w/ "remaining"

(B) questioning --> correct

(C) the question of--> same as A

(D) a question over--> same as A

(E) all--> same as A
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 13:14
Comparision and Parrallelism goes hand in hand, always keep an hawk eye for the Parallelism and Comparison Indicators, as soon as you see it find the two item which are being talked about and make sure that they are parallel.

E.g:
I love doing X and Y. here and is a parralelism indicator and thus both X and Y should be parallel to each other.
I love doing X more than doing Y. Here than is a comparision indicator, therefore first find out which two elements are being compared and then make sure that they are parallel. here the action of doing one thing is getting compared to action of doing another thing. therefore the action should be parallel to the other action

That being said:

So what is being compared here?
Remaining X is more important than _________ so the no-underlined part is a gerund therefore we need a gerund to make it parallel. therefore answer will be B

I hope this helps. I am open for suggestions and questions :)
Re: Most citizens of nineteenth-century London believed that remaining res   [#permalink] 25 May 2019, 13:14

Most citizens of nineteenth-century London believed that remaining res

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics