GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Feb 2019, 15:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

Motivation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Motivation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 00:55
Hi All

I am new to this community. I am a working professional with unpredictable timelines, and by the EOD I am exhausted.
I have been trying to prepare for GMAT for the last 8 months! I somehow try to put my best and manage the study along the long 12 hours work lifestyle.

Everytime my preparation falls flat after a month due to exhaustion and I have to pick it up again after few weeks or a month's break.

I really want to clear GMAT. This was my one and only goal this year, but now r1 deadlines have passed, year is about to end, and I am really at the end of rope here. I am internally so demotivated, like it's inhibiting me to pick on the books again and I am feeling like I have missed the train. I know it's too much but I have told myself giving GMAT first is a priority whenever I am ready. But just very demotivated. I read many stories etc.

I am hereby writing this post to seek some motivation, golden words, anything to pull me out of this zone. Any words would help..

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge
Motivation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 07:43
Hi ridzseeker,

Did you take a mock test? What was your score in each section? What is your target score?

Non progredi est regredi

Orion Director of Academics
S
Re: Motivation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 10:12
Hey ridzseeker,

This is actually a lot more common of a problem than you think! So remember that you aren't alone. Here are some things that will (hopefully) help.

1) Many times people will start without a test date -- it sounds like this is the case for you, too! Signing up for a test date and committing to it can help you orient yourself in terms of internalizing that you need to start studying.

2) Also know that your feeling of 'missing the boat' and that feeling of guilt is also really common! Unfortunately there's no good way to combat it other than getting studying and to try to reorient yourself. It's hard, but it can help to be grateful that you had this realization and reached out for help now instead of in a month. It can also help to remind yourself of why you want to take the GMAT and go to business school in the first place.

3) The exhaustion factor. Many people think that the only way to prepare for the GMAT is to get in several hours of study in every night and to dedicate all their time to the GMAT. Not only is this not going to be effective if you have an already exhausting job, it usually ends in you giving up a few days or weeks in. Instead of the all or nothing approach, just resolve to do something for your GMAT prep for five days out of the week, even if that something is three practice problems. At ORION we've heard from a lot of students that practicing even twenty or thirty minutes a day and setting up a sustainable schedule can be more useful in the long term than going for the all or nothing approach.

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 11:15
Have found myself in the same boat but followed some tweaks which ultimately helped me so sharing them here:

1. Start getting up early and study-even if its for 10 mins. Make a slow progress and dont try to jump by leaps and bounds here. If you're not getting used to wake up at 5 AM, big chances are that you'll not succeed, however, make small increments of getting up early by just 10 mins and utilize that time to study. You'll reach a point where you'll be able to have one good sitting of 2-3 hrs before leaving for work and that will give a lot of boost during the day itself
2. Start working out or take up any physically intensive activity/sports: This will help increase your stamina, enhance the quality of your sleep amongst many other benefits
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 13:28
Hi ridzseeker,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. From what you describe, it sounds like your studies have been inconsistent. To improve to any reasonable degree, you have to accept that the overall training process will take time - and then you have to commit the necessary time and effort.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 17:11
Hi ridzseeker,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, does it suck to study for the GMAT while working a full-time job? YES!! However, if getting into the right business school is a game changer for your career, then you have to do what is necessary to find time to study, right?

If you find that you are too tired to study after work, then perhaps try waking up early to get in a few hours of prep before leaving for work. Furthermore, you should take advantage of your weekends off, perhaps studying 4+ hours each day on Saturday and Sunday. My main point is that you need to find a way to prioritize your GMAT studying. If you put in the study hours, there is no reason why you can’t hit your GMAT score and get into a great MBA program. Now is the time to DIG DEEP, PULL YOURSELF UP, and get on the GMAT train!!

All that said, I know that studying for the GMAT can be quite overwhelming, so if you need advice on creating a solid study plan, feel free to reach out and we can chat further. I’ve got your back!

Also, you may find the following articles helpful: how to develop the proper mindset for GMAT success and how to study for the GMAT while working a demanding job.

Please reach out with any further questions.

Let’s do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Motivation   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2018, 17:11

Motivation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap