GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Ms Finance admission

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Ms Finance admission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 02:41
Hi there!
I just wanted to ask you about my chances of getting into a top Msc Finance in Europe:
Gmat 680 (49Q)
Gpa: I am from Italy, we have average weighted (mine is about 29.3/30, so the predicted degree mark is 110 cum laude/110 (the maximum grade achievable in Italy) from a not renowned university (university of Sassari).
Ielts: 7.5 overall (8 listening 8.5 reading)
Work experience: summer internship at findomestic. Autumn internship in a local accounting agency.
Btw I am 21 and I would like to apply to a good Msc Finance in Europe (sth like Bocconi Msc Finance/Lse Finance & Economics/Warwick Msc Finance/ imperial Msc finance/ Lbs MIM )
Do you have any recommendations? Do you think my profile is good enough? (I know, I screwed the verbal part of the gmat, therefore I am planning to take it again, aiming for roughly 700/710)
Thank you all in advance!!
Board of Directors
P
Re: Ms Finance admission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 03:38
Top Contributor
Hi Carlo,

the fact you attended your University in Sardinia is irrelevant, what is important is your curricula (the courses you did during).

Moreover, your profile is good because usually MSc in Finance is performed totally in English. Your GPA is good.

Your work experience, I do not think is pertinent especially at Findomestic.

Quote:
The MSc in Finance will provide knowledge in three main fields:

- Quantitative Area. Students study in deep the methods used in financial markets to price fi­nancial securities: basic principles of stochastic calculus, no-arbitrage principle and risk neutral (martingale) pricing, derivatives pricing, interest rate derivatives, stochastic vola­tility models, financial econometrics.
- Economic Area. Students are exposed to the theoretical framework of modern financial economics: microeconomic models for business and finance, models with asymmetric information and decision under uncertainty, monetary economics, and central banking approaches;
- Management Area. Our fundamental courses will provide the knowledge to study the finan­cial behavior of financial and non-financial firms and financial markets.

Moreover, regulation of financial markets will be analyzed in order to learn how financial players are subject to regulatory constraints.

Your GMAT is good enough.

here the top Univiserties https://www.topuniversities.com/univers ... nance/2018

Hope this helps.

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 03:44
carcass wrote:
Hi Carlo,

the fact you attended your University in Sardinia is irrelevant, what is important is your curricula (the courses you did during).

Moreover, your profile is good because usually MSc in Finance is performed totally in English. Your GPA is good.

Your work experience, I do not think is pertinent especially at Findomestic.

Quote:
The MSc in Finance will provide knowledge in three main fields:

- Quantitative Area. Students study in deep the methods used in financial markets to price fi­nancial securities: basic principles of stochastic calculus, no-arbitrage principle and risk neutral (martingale) pricing, derivatives pricing, interest rate derivatives, stochastic vola­tility models, financial econometrics.
- Economic Area. Students are exposed to the theoretical framework of modern financial economics: microeconomic models for business and finance, models with asymmetric information and decision under uncertainty, monetary economics, and central banking approaches;
- Management Area. Our fundamental courses will provide the knowledge to study the finan­cial behavior of financial and non-financial firms and financial markets.

Moreover, regulation of financial markets will be analyzed in order to learn how financial players are subject to regulatory constraints.

Your GMAT is good enough.

here the top Univiserties https://www.topuniversities.com/univers ... nance/2018

Hope this helps.

Regards

Thank you for your reply! My Bsc it's in pure economics so a lot of Macro>/Micro/Public Economy/Statistics.
I know my work experience is porr (it s difficult to get an internship in a bank or in IB/Private Equity with my profile. Do you have any suggestion for that?
In the end, do you think i can be competitive or do i have to retake the gmat or improve sth?
Thank you in advance for the attention!
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 04:54
Top Contributor
From what you wrote I do think your ideas about the entire admission process is not so clear.

First off, GMAT is only ONE component of the entire package.

You should have for instance: the transcript of your University' exams, a strong CV which not necessary must have a stellar prior experience in the finance world just because the MSc is another level after your degree (usually one year or even two) to lunch your career in the Financial world. Letters of recommendations from your professors and if you had good professors with strong and well-established research excursus (they have a lot of research papers published during their career as academics), IELTS or TOEFL, your letter of intent, your motivation during the interview.........

This is also interesting

ALL leads you into that university you pick among your ideal rooster.

Regards

PS: the list above is usually provided by the Univ website, could be different. Usually, those are the things you should have. We do have always the same things asked over and over again

Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 05:00
I know all that. I am just asking what I can improve and if I have relevant opportunities to get into. What programmes do you suggest considering my profile? What can I improve?

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
P
Ms Finance admission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 06:08
Top Contributor
Difficult to say where and in what measure you should improve.

This is a job for which an admission consulting firm could answer.

However, MSc is the starting point for a career. If you go for an experience before to apply you can go too. And then apply maybe in two years from now.

But saying what are your chances is like ask to someone to see the future in a crystal ball. You have good points.

make a pool of universities and apply. Try, try, try.........you are so young :)

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 06:14
Maybe you re right, I should get an admission consulting to do a proper application. (And do great with the letter and the recommendations in order to boost my chances of admission).
Anyway, thank you for you help!

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 11:18
For European programs, GMAT and GPA (class ranking) are the most important. In the US, they look at work experience, internships, etc, but that is a US dynamic.

GMAT is fine. Should be higher, but I don't think a 680 is going to kill you. GPA is very good (I am assuming it translates to something top of your school). University isn't that big a deal, but it would have helped if you want to a more prominent school.

LSE and Warwick are good schools for you to apply to. LSE has a ton of MSc programs so they are achievable. Bocconi, I don't know. They tend to like higher GMAT's. Since you are Italian, I would encourage you to apply.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 11:29
MSFHQ wrote:
For European programs, GMAT and GPA (class ranking) are the most important. In the US, they look at work experience, internships, etc, but that is a US dynamic.

GMAT is fine. Should be higher, but I don't think a 680 is going to kill you. GPA is very good (I am assuming it translates to something top of your school). University isn't that big a deal, but it would have helped if you want to a more prominent school.

LSE and Warwick are good schools for you to apply to. LSE has a ton of MSc programs so they are achievable. Bocconi, I don't know. They tend to like higher GMAT's. Since you are Italian, I would encourage you to apply.

I can try to improve it ( i think i can go up to 700 focusing on the verbal part).
The problem with other msc at LSE for instance such as A & F is that I don't really know if they have the same or at least a good placement in IBD (both MM and BB).
What about other MSF in Europe? Do you have any suggestion, considering my profile atm?
Another internship (maybe sth like BNP) could offset the "poor" GMAT score?
Btw that GPA means top 1% of the class (i don't think it is too impressive for a not renowned uni).
Thank you for your help!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ms Finance admission &nbs [#permalink] 28 Oct 2018, 11:29

Ms Finance admission

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap