Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Help! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I think MIT will be tough with that GPA, but it might be worth an app. You'd be in range for WUSTL for sure though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
MSFHQ, I am planning to apply for MSF for Fall 2015 admissions. Could you please take a moment to evaluate my profile?

Age 23,Indian,B.E(Hons) Chemical Engineering from BITS-Pilani,GPA 8.2/10-First division.Class of 2012
My college is consistently among the top 10 colleges in India and has an acceptance ratio of 0.5%
Working as Senior Business Analyst in Mu-Sigma Data Sciences and Analytics,India for the past 2 years.
I have 2 internships during college, both related to Chemical Eng.
GMAT: 690 (Q50,V32) AWA 6/6 , IR 7/8. Took the test last week.
Preparing for CFA-1,Dec 2014
Extra-cirriculars: Member of college cricket team for all four years , Head of Engineering department for 1 yr and core member of Alumni Affairs Division for 2 yrs.
I intend to apply for the following colleges,all in Round 1.

1) WUSTL
2) Vanderbilt
3) U.T.Austin
4) UIUC
5) Villinova
6) Simon
7) HEC -Masters in Financial Economics
8) LSE - Masters in Finance and Economics

What are my chances at each university? Do you suggest any other universities?

Thank you!
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
srinivasosuri wrote:
MSFHQ, I am planning to apply for MSF for Fall 2015 admissions. Could you please take a moment to evaluate my profile?

Age 23,Indian,B.E(Hons) Chemical Engineering from BITS-Pilani,GPA 8.2/10-First division.Class of 2012
My college is consistently among the top 10 colleges in India and has an acceptance ratio of 0.5%
Working as Senior Business Analyst in Mu-Sigma Data Sciences and Analytics,India for the past 2 years.
I have 2 internships during college, both related to Chemical Eng.
GMAT: 690 (Q50,V32) AWA 6/6 , IR 7/8. Took the test last week.
Preparing for CFA-1,Dec 2014
Extra-cirriculars: Member of college cricket team for all four years , Head of Engineering department for 1 yr and core member of Alumni Affairs Division for 2 yrs.
I intend to apply for the following colleges,all in Round 1.

1) WUSTL
2) Vanderbilt
3) U.T.Austin
4) UIUC
5) Villinova
6) Simon
7) HEC -Masters in Financial Economics
8) LSE - Masters in Finance and Economics

What are my chances at each university? Do you suggest any other universities?

Thank you!

I know BITS well, my ex girlfriend when to the Dubai campus. Its a top school and people who know what is up know how hard it is. I think you stand a good chance at every school. IMO, you are in at UIUC, Simon, Nova, probably HEC. Great chances at UTA, WUSTL and LSE. I think your ranking is about right also. UIUC is mainly international students (Chinese), but will place well in Chicago. Nova is a smaller school, but respected on the East Coast. UTA is going to have the biggest draw in Houston/Dallas. LSE is the UK/International play.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for the reply MSFQ!

There is one question which is pestering me since my GMAT day-Should I retake it?
I know 690(Q50,V32,A.W.A 6/6,IR 7/8) is a not a bad score.All my target schools have avg GMAT in the range of 670-700
But,like for MBA, would the MSF admissions committee pool people based on Nationality inorder to maintain diversity?
If so,being an Indian, would I be disadvantaged by my GMAT? Typically, the Indian applicant pool for M.B.A has higher GMAT score than other countries'
Currently,I am working on my applications(Round-1,mid Oct deadlines ) and preparing for CFA-1.Retaking GMAT now means having too many things on my plate at the same time.
However, I would go for a retake if my gmat score is gonna hurt my application significantly.

I am confused. Please advise

Thanks
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
srinivasosuri wrote:
Thank you for the reply MSFQ!

There is one question which is pestering me since my GMAT day-Should I retake it?
I know 690(Q50,V32,A.W.A 6/6,IR 7/8) is a not a bad score.All my target schools have avg GMAT in the range of 670-700
But,like for MBA, would the MSF admissions committee pool people based on Nationality inorder to maintain diversity?
If so,being an Indian, would I be disadvantaged by my GMAT? Typically, the Indian applicant pool for M.B.A has higher GMAT score than other countries'
Currently,I am working on my applications(Round-1,mid Oct deadlines ) and preparing for CFA-1.Retaking GMAT now means having too many things on my plate at the same time.
However, I would go for a retake if my gmat score is gonna hurt my application significantly.

I am confused. Please advise

Thanks

I think a 690 is fine. Realistically, you could retake it at maybe get a 700-710. I don't think it is necessary with the GPA you have. MSF programs tend to have a lot of Chinese applicants, not necessarily Indian applicants, so I don't think the same MBA effect is seen with MSF's.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you MSFHQ!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
hello,
Most youngsters dream of studying abroad and many of them have what is called the `American Dream’. But the challenge with study in USA is that it is often financially beyond the reach of many Indian students. However, to ensure that finance should not be a constraint for deserving students, there are, thankfully, a lot of scholarships available today and scholarships are an invaluable help to achieve the American dream. Whether a student wishes to pursue graduation or post-graduation degrees in the US, there are several opportunities in the form of scholarships available. For more information I found new informative website..msmbainusa just check it out..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi MSFHQ,

I am planning to apply to the MS in finance course starting in 2015. Below is my profile :
1. B.tech In electronics and communications with a CGPA of 9.1
2. I have a work ex of 14 months right now working in the advisory vertical of KPMG.
3. Will be giving my GMAT soon. I am expecting somewhere between 650-680.

Can you please suggest some colleges for me. Further is it better to do an ms from UK or US, with job prospects in view.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
I am a Bcom Mba with 5yrs of work experience and I am planning to apply to an MSF program(fall 2015) I have 2 queries:

a) Is it advisible to go ahead for a MSF degree at this stage and what ROI can I expect
b) With 70% at undergrad level, 8.23/10 CGPA at post grad and gmat score 650, where do you suggest i can apply besides:
1. UMD
2. Purdue
3. WUSTL
4. UT Austin
5. Vanderbit
6. Boston College

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Would someone be able to throw some light on the average salary for post-experience MSF ? :roll:
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
silver8 wrote:
Would someone be able to throw some light on the average salary for post-experience MSF ? :roll:

This really is a difficult thing to assess. You need to look at it like this. Most people applying for an MSF couldn't find a job they wanted or worked a job they didn't like for a year or so. The MSF for them is an opportunity to increase skills, rebrand and have another shot at a better job and career track.

So the starting salaries could be very similar to undergrad starting salaries, but in relation to what the students had before it is higher. Plus, since this is so finance focused you are going to have skew depending on how many students in the class want and got banking or how many decided for another finance focused path.

But I will try and answer your question.

Most schools will have a starting salary around $60-70K. This is a combination of banking salaries ($65-70K - not increased to around $80-85K) blended with more traditional accounting or F500 jobs. It doesn't take into account signing bonuses or year end bonuses.

Look at it like this. If you want banking and that is your focus, all in you'll probably make $100-150K (depending on group, bank, location). This is about what an UG in banking will make though as you'll both be analysts. But this will be more than what a current MSF applicant is making because logic would say that if you were making more than the income an MSF could provide you'd forgo the MSF.

Hope this helps some.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts