GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MSc Finance Lund University vs MSc Quant Finance WU Vienna

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
MSc Finance Lund University vs MSc Quant Finance WU Vienna  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 10:29
Hi guys,

I have been accepted to these two programs but I can't decide which offer should I take.

In the beginning, I felt almost sure with WU when I got accepted, but today I received the offer from Lund and I started having doubts.

I think I would prefer Vienna as a city, I love capitals and the opportunity to get to know as many people as possible. In the same way, how it is organized Lund University makes it easy to socialize with other students.

WU would be better because being a 2 years program it would allow me to apply to Summer Internships, but if I apply for a Double Degree in Lund I can make it lasts 1.5/2 years too (University of Groningen or EM Lyon), in order to make a summer internship in 2019.

The programs are both pretty cool, in WU there is a focus on R language, while in Lund they have available Bloomberg Terminals. Both the uni seems not to be "target", but they placed some students in BBs anyway.

Moreover, I am waiting for an answer from Copenhagen Business School for the program in Finance and Investment (2 years). If I get accepted there it is gonna be even more difficult to take a decision. Would you prefer it over Vienna and Lund?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 11:53
Yo,

I am currently in the QFIN at WU Vienna. The decision heavily depends on your background. If you come from a business background, you will have a tough time in Vienna (in most cases) with the challenging stuff that you gonna learn. While most students get to know each other in weekly parties etc. you will spend most of your "social time" doing homework with them. Furthermore, you will learn a lot of theoretical stuff here. It is a lot of maths. But if you already did a lot of maths in your bachelors, its gonna be rather easy most of the time. A big plus is the fact that you will have professors who spent significant time in Wharton, Princeton, etc. And Prof. Hornik (director of the programme and who teaches a lot) is just a genius.

And btw, we also have a bloomberg terminal afaik :) (although access is somewhat restricted)

But judging from your post, I wouldnt recommend going to WU.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Apr 2018, 12:27
Why u would not recommend me to go to your uni? I mean, I did not speak about me at all...
Do I look like someone who can't do maths from my post? :-D

Btw I was simply saying that Lund University is advertising the fact they allow students to use Bloomberg terminals while in WU site is not mentioned at all.

That said, I come from Economics/Finance background but I got my best grades in maths and financial modeling courses, moreover Maths never had been a problem to me so I guess It is not something to worry about.

I was mostly worried about the working opportunities after the master since I saw many alumni working (or interning) in Credit Risk departments.

Originally posted by ChuckB on 07 Apr 2018, 12:09.
Last edited by ChuckB on 07 Apr 2018, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: MSc Finance Lund University vs MSc Quant Finance WU Vienna  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 12:21
wu.ac.at/bibliothek/recherche/datenbanken/info/bloomberg/

I just felt the social aspect was very important for you which is not a problem here (lots of nice people) but other programmes might be stronger concerning this aspect.

If you want a little taste of what you can expect:
statmath.wu.ac.at/~hornik/QFS1/qfs1_lectures.pdf
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 12:28
Lots of people work in risk because it is a growing sector with current regulation changes. IMO it is a hot place to work in as a quant.

If you want to take quant roles in BB Trading etc. you probably need some more IT skills than just R.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 13:16
salma31 wrote:
wu.ac.at/bibliothek/recherche/datenbanken/info/bloomberg/

Man, it is not the smartest contest here, I was just saying that in Lund MSc Finance main page there is a paragraph saying that students are allowed to view live market data from across the world and use it to test how theoretical mathematical financial models stand up in practice, while in WU MSc Quant Finance there was no mention about Bloomberg.

Btw if you check the English side of your link, it is written:

WU Vienna wrote:
For licensing reasons, concurrently enrolled students (Mitbeleger/innen) are not eligible to use the service.

But it was just a point, for sure I am not gonna choose a university on whether they have or not the Bloomberg terminal, and you should not feel bad about what I wrote :-D

Idk... I already know some programming languages (JAVA and C++ mainly). Between my options, I feel WU the best for my background and skills, and I am sure about it. What I am not sure is if it is the best for my goals. For this reason, I was asking here help. To have some more ideas on which program (WU, Lund or CBS) would you think is gonna give me more opportunities in general. I mean, select only one University is much more difficult than apply, because you know, these choices can change your life and it is not something you make easily. All the three universities have their pros and cons.

So, since I feel my Maths background sufficient, you would suggest me WU or you would go on with another uni?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 14:51
I had CBS on my radar, too but decided for WU because I felt the curriculum in Vienna is more complete and CBS is more applied.

Neither choice will close the door to BB. I am convinced skill will get you anywhere.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 15:09
salma31 wrote:
I had CBS on my radar, too but decided for WU because I felt the curriculum in Vienna is more complete and CBS is more applied.

Neither choice will close the door to BB. I am convinced skill will get you anywhere.

Thanks for this opinion man ;)

I thought about it today and I think the same. At the moment, I will opt for WU, over Lund, simply because I feel it a "well-rounded" course, and all the electives available on the second year make me think I can tailor the last term of the master to make it the best to me. I also saw the career center site and that some students are getting part-time jobs in the second year, and it is kind of cool, even if it would kill my free time

I will get some more doubts in case of acceptance from CBS, but I will think later about it since I am not sure my bachelor credits will satisfy their request
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MSc Finance Lund University vs MSc Quant Finance WU Vienna &nbs [#permalink] 08 Apr 2018, 15:09

MSc Finance Lund University vs MSc Quant Finance WU Vienna

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap