It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 08:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSc Finance Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MSc Finance Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 15:28
Hi everyone,

I will be taking my GMAT in the next 2 - 3 months and I would like to hear what my chances are for getting into a top school for a MSc Finance.

I am from The Netherlands, 23 years old, currently in my fifth year at my university, white and a male.

Education:

At the end of this school year I will have ~400 ECTS. These are divided into:

- BSc Business Economics (3-year-programme, my main study programme and the one connecting best to the master's programme I would like to pursue, average grade will be ~8.0/10);
- LL.B. Dutch Law (3-year-programme, average grade will be ~6.0 - 6.5/10);
- Honours College (excellence programme connected to the BSc Business Economics consisting of 45 ECTS spread out over 2.5 years, average grade will be ~7.5/10);
- Miscellaneous (25 - 30 ECTS collected from courses in other study programmes and activities, including several in mathematics).

Work experience:

- Professional online poker player (over the course of 3 - 4 years my pre-tax earnings are somewhere around the €100,000 mark, I stopped playing at the end of 2015 because of the next point, I have also coached several players both online and offline);
- My own company (since the start of 2016 I've been an online reseller of a vast variety of consumer goods, which I buy from sellers all across Europe and sell in The Netherlands and Belgium, revenue at the end of 2016 will be ~€150,000 with a net (after tax) profit of ~€20,000 - €25,000, expecting to grow heavily next year if I am not selected for a foreign university);
- Mentor (explaining first-year students what to expect from their upcoming journey both in terms of course load and student life in the city, 7 weeks in weekly 2-hour sessions);
- Student assistant (connected to the point above, the first hour involved teaching a course called International Business and the second hour was meant for mentoring).

Miscellaneous:

- I have lived on my own since I was 18 and have always been financially independent;
- Through the excellence programme I was selected for a trip to Washington D.C. to meet and work with Law students from the George Washington University on a project involving Environmental Law;
- I've been an active member of the social club associated with the excellence programme. Among other things, I arranged a full 5-day-trip to a foreign capital city in Europe for 30 people together with 3 others;
- I will have 2 reference letters. One of them is from a professor I worked with in a project that was connected to the excellence programme and it involved research in the field of Finance. The other is from my English teacher.

I think with steady studying I can score high 600's at least on the GMAT.

I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you for reading.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 1

Re: MSc Finance Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Why on earth would you want a masters when you have all this profitable stuff going on?

IMO, your profile lends itself well to an MBA program. All the things you've done are very entrepreneurial. Unfortunately, I am not sure MSc programs care about this stuff. The lowish GMAT is going to be a hurdle. Not sure how your GPA converts though. Assuming it is higher, I am sure you could get into a number of EU MSc programs. Not sure your competitiveness at the top programs though.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 1

Intern
Intern

MSc Finance Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 13:39
MSFHQ wrote:
Why on earth would you want a masters when you have all this profitable stuff going on?

IMO, your profile lends itself well to an MBA program. All the things you've done are very entrepreneurial. Unfortunately, I am not sure MSc programs care about this stuff. The lowish GMAT is going to be a hurdle. Not sure how your GPA converts though. Assuming it is higher, I am sure you could get into a number of EU MSc programs. Not sure your competitiveness at the top programs though.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

I have not thought about doing an MBA, since I assumed it would be for people with more experience in the work field who are looking for managerial positions after completing the program. I think my experience and age would not be suitable for that. Also, most people here pursue MSc-programmes after completing BSc-programmes, so it seems like a MSc is the next logical step.

With regard to the profitable stuff: online poker is slowly dying and my income would be capped at ~80-90k these days. My company is doing alright but it's not that scalable and it's questionable whether it's viable in the long run. The cap for income is higher but with a lot of risk and opportunity cost should I pursue it instead of doing a MSc.

I don't know exactly how to convert Dutch grades to GPA. Quickly looking at some websites I see that my GPA should be 4.0 or A in the US and A (first) in the UK (although my grade average is just above the cutoff for 4.0 GPA). Assuming this is correct and I break the 700-GMAT-score barrier, how would you rate my chances?

MSc Finance Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2016, 13:39