GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Aug 2019, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MSF Class of 2020

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2019
Posts: 7
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2019, 15:36
BOUni, I haven't take any English literature course because I have my high school IB English credit transferred. I took a public speaking class and made an A, which is the only English class I have taken in TAMU.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 8
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 08:29
Hello,

I am curious what my options can be for masters in fianance or master in economics, especially overseas in Europe.

Attending University of Miami
Major: Finance & Quantative Economics, Minor in Accounting

Certifications: Two Python for finance classes and Wall Street Prep (Financial Modeling and Valuation Certification)

3.95 GPA
700 GMAT - will take again

Internships:
Morgan Stanley Wealth Management (7 Months)

Raymond James Wealth Management (4 months)

HIG Capital LLC (hedge fund) as fund accountant (3 Months)

Market Research for a small marketing company (18 months)

Will attempt to get a boutique IB internship for first semester senior year

Analyst for Student Investment Fund (~1.5M AUM) and involved in Greek life (leadership role).

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Posts: 20
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 09:44
chenyuang09 wrote:
BOUni, I haven't take any English literature course because I have my high school IB English credit transferred. I took a public speaking class and made an A, which is the only English class I have taken in TAMU.


In that case, hopefully you nailed the written and video essays. So you should be good for all your schools except MIT. Your gpa and gmat should make you attractive to them.

Good luck

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Posts: 20
MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 08:44
chenyuang09 wrote:
BOUni, I haven't take any English literature course because I have my high school IB English credit transferred. I took a public speaking class and made an A, which is the only English class I have taken in TAMU.


Honestly, my concerns are that

1. You are a foreign student with a relatively low GMAT verbal score and no English coursework at the university level. You had an opportunity to take Literature but you didn’t

2. You have a good Q score but insufficient math to work as a Quant or for a top MFE. You had the opportunity to take more math course work, but you didn’t

This is why I think top programs may look closely at your essays

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 779
Location: United States (NY)
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 02:42
2
mtm2353 wrote:
Hello,

I am curious what my options can be for masters in fianance or master in economics, especially overseas in Europe.

Attending University of Miami
Major: Finance & Quantative Economics, Minor in Accounting

Certifications: Two Python for finance classes and Wall Street Prep (Financial Modeling and Valuation Certification)

3.95 GPA
700 GMAT - will take again

Internships:
Morgan Stanley Wealth Management (7 Months)

Raymond James Wealth Management (4 months)

HIG Capital LLC (hedge fund) as fund accountant (3 Months)

Market Research for a small marketing company (18 months)

Will attempt to get a boutique IB internship for first semester senior year

Analyst for Student Investment Fund (~1.5M AUM) and involved in Greek life (leadership role).

Posted from my mobile device


Curious why Europe over the US? U Miami is a well known school in the states. You have a lot of internship and experience, at big name places (HIG is very well known, RJ, MS, etc). You have a great GPA and a 700 GMAT is pretty good. You'd definitely get into Vanderbilt, WUSTL, most likely USC. Probably in at UT Austin as well. I would imagine you would get some scholarship money as well.

European programs, I can see you getting into Imperial, LSE (on of their various MSc programs), etc.
_________________
Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 8
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 07:21
MSFHQ wrote:
mtm2353 wrote:
Hello,

I am curious what my options can be for masters in fianance or master in economics, especially overseas in Europe.

Attending University of Miami
Major: Finance & Quantative Economics, Minor in Accounting

Certifications: Two Python for finance classes and Wall Street Prep (Financial Modeling and Valuation Certification)

3.95 GPA
700 GMAT - will take again

Internships:
Morgan Stanley Wealth Management (7 Months)

Raymond James Wealth Management (4 months)

HIG Capital LLC (hedge fund) as fund accountant (3 Months)

Market Research for a small marketing company (18 months)

Will attempt to get a boutique IB internship for first semester senior year

Analyst for Student Investment Fund (~1.5M AUM) and involved in Greek life (leadership role).

Posted from my mobile device


Curious why Europe over the US? U Miami is a well known school in the states. You have a lot of internship and experience, at big name places (HIG is very well known, RJ, MS, etc). You have a great GPA and a 700 GMAT is pretty good. You'd definitely get into Vanderbilt, WUSTL, most likely USC. Probably in at UT Austin as well. I would imagine you would get some scholarship money as well.

European programs, I can see you getting into Imperial, LSE (on of their various MSc programs), etc.


I really would like to spend a year in Europe to experience something new. I am targeting LSE, LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, and possibly Warwick.

At the end of the day I will go to the school with the best network and reputation.

What is ur take on the European schools based on my profile? I am still a junior and have only just began researching, and will have some time to boost my profile even more.

Thank you for the previous response!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2019
Posts: 7
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 16:02
BOUni, If my application do not go well, then do you think delaying my graduation for a semester and taking more maths classes and literature classes in TAMU will help significantly with my application for next year? I know that lacking Maths and English classes is my disadvantage.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2019, 10:52
I’m graduating this semester. It took me 3 years plus a summer. I’m getting a BS in business management and am looking to go to either Indiana or Washington University in St. Louis for a MS in Finance.

640 GMAT with around 40 hours of studying and never even studied for the verbal portion so I’m sure I can raise it if I take it again. Both Quant and Verbal were 61st percentile.
4.0 GPA at an average university.
Member of three national honors societies/fraternities.
Played college basketball (not D1).
Five years work experience but not in the business world.

Do you think I could get accepted to either, both, or neither of those universities? And what others should I apply to? And what gmat do you think I’d need in order to get accepted to those schools if you don’t think I can get in right now. Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2017
Posts: 3
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2019, 22:05
Hi guys,

I currently have admits from University of Rochester and NUS Singapore for Masters in Finance. I am waiting for the UT Austin results. Of these three, can anyone please help me prioritize?

My profile -

Work experience of 1.5+ years at Wells Fargo in Credit Risk Management, Gmat - 680,ielts - 7.5, undergraduate majors in electronics and Communication Engineering with CGPA - 8.76/10, two journal publications in image processing using machine learning algorithms.

Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 779
Location: United States (NY)
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 05:33
Tbake4 wrote:
I’m graduating this semester. It took me 3 years plus a summer. I’m getting a BS in business management and am looking to go to either Indiana or Washington University in St. Louis for a MS in Finance.

640 GMAT with around 40 hours of studying and never even studied for the verbal portion so I’m sure I can raise it if I take it again. Both Quant and Verbal were 61st percentile.
4.0 GPA at an average university.
Member of three national honors societies/fraternities.
Played college basketball (not D1).
Five years work experience but not in the business world.

Do you think I could get accepted to either, both, or neither of those universities? And what others should I apply to? And what gmat do you think I’d need in order to get accepted to those schools if you don’t think I can get in right now. Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device


You get that GMAT a little higher and I would say you are a shoe in at both. Athlete with a 4.0 GPA is great.

As for the work experience, showcase it, but don't talk too much about the duration. Not sure what kind of experience it is, but you don't want these adcoms to push you towards an MBA. I am going to assume this was a job during college or a family business or something.
_________________
Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 779
Location: United States (NY)
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 05:34
tej19 wrote:
Hi guys,

I currently have admits from University of Rochester and NUS Singapore for Masters in Finance. I am waiting for the UT Austin results. Of these three, can anyone please help me prioritize?

My profile -

Work experience of 1.5+ years at Wells Fargo in Credit Risk Management, Gmat - 680,ielts - 7.5, undergraduate majors in electronics and Communication Engineering with CGPA - 8.76/10, two journal publications in image processing using machine learning algorithms.

Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device


Rochester is a very good school with an international brand recognition. NUS is a good school, especially for international students from say India. If you want to work in the US, Rochester is the obvious choice. If you don't know and you'd be open to working in Europe, Asian or India, go with NUS.
_________________
Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2017
Posts: 2
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 22:31
MSFHQ wrote:
nikhilaav wrote:
Hi, I'm an Indian applicant with GPA of 8.62out of 10, TOEFL 114 and GMAT score of 720. I have a total of 5 years work experience in computer science and finance companies. I have been admitted to Boston University and UC San Diego MSF programs. I'm planning to apply to few more programs for their second rounds. I prefer colleges which are offering computational or mathematical finance options. Please suggest some realistic options.


Check out Quantnet. I'd take Boston University over UC San Diego. As for other programs, check out Baruch, Rutgers, etc. They just released a new ranking which should help you in your search.


Thank you for your reply. I have been accepted to UCLA MFE program as well. Also, UC San Diego has offered me a 50% scholarship. Kindly advise.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 779
Location: United States (NY)
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 04:07
nikhilaav wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
nikhilaav wrote:
Hi, I'm an Indian applicant with GPA of 8.62out of 10, TOEFL 114 and GMAT score of 720. I have a total of 5 years work experience in computer science and finance companies. I have been admitted to Boston University and UC San Diego MSF programs. I'm planning to apply to few more programs for their second rounds. I prefer colleges which are offering computational or mathematical finance options. Please suggest some realistic options.


Check out Quantnet. I'd take Boston University over UC San Diego. As for other programs, check out Baruch, Rutgers, etc. They just released a new ranking which should help you in your search.


Thank you for your reply. I have been accepted to UCLA MFE program as well. Also, UC San Diego has offered me a 50% scholarship. Kindly advise.


UCLA has a much better reputation than UCSD. Unless financing is the primary concern, I’d go to UCLA.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 04:49
Hi msfhq,
I am from India, graduated from a reputed NIT this year with a CGPA of 7.2. I recently wrote my GMAT and got 640(49q 29v), Which is low, though I believe I can get a much better score. Got a job as an analyst in a big 4 accounting firm. Pursuing CFA L1 (Dec 2019) and I am very confident on clearing this exam. Have internship experiences at a stockbroking firm and in a Boutique Bank.

I am looking for admits into the MSF programs in the following universities
1. Schulich School of Business
2. Mcgill University
3. ESSEC Paris-Singapore
4.Ohio State university
5.Maryland Smith University.

What are my chances to get admits into these schools. Should I retake GMAT ??
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2018
Posts: 17
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 04:40
I am indian undergraduate student.

Bachelor of management studies major in finance from mumbai University ( cgpa. 8).
HSC from State board with 74%.
SSC from State board with 77%.

Frm exam 1
Corporate finance from columbia business school through edx.

Gmat: 720.

TECHNICAL SKILLS; Windows,C,C#.

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS;
2nd prize in ad-mad for the topic : mutual fund.
Participated in various sports.
Volunteering in national service scheme.
Volunteer of local ngo.
Various certifications related to maths in school days.

3 months internship in iifl indian financial company.

Language;
Hindi
Marathi
English
French A2 level

What are my chances in top 15 msc finance pre experience universities ?

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 779
Location: United States (NY)
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 07:58
kailashkumar26 wrote:
Hi msfhq,
I am from India, graduated from a reputed NIT this year with a CGPA of 7.2. I recently wrote my GMAT and got 640(49q 29v), Which is low, though I believe I can get a much better score. Got a job as an analyst in a big 4 accounting firm. Pursuing CFA L1 (Dec 2019) and I am very confident on clearing this exam. Have internship experiences at a stockbroking firm and in a Boutique Bank.

I am looking for admits into the MSF programs in the following universities
1. Schulich School of Business
2. Mcgill University
3. ESSEC Paris-Singapore
4.Ohio State university
5.Maryland Smith University.

What are my chances to get admits into these schools. Should I retake GMAT ??


The Canadian schools I know less about, but McGill is one of the best schools in Canada. I would say you need your GMAT to be much higher to be competitive. OSU/Maryland, if you get your GMAT to high 600's you would get some interest. Internships and work experience help. ESSEC Paris-Singapore - no clue. I do know a lot of Indian students go to Singapore schools because it is apparently easier to work their post graduation. Pros and Cons to all the schools.

CFA L1 is nice, but will have minimal impact on your applications. Get that GMAT higher and some work experience. That will be the biggest aspect of your application adcoms review.
_________________
Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 779
Location: United States (NY)
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 08:15
Rahul9324 wrote:
I am indian undergraduate student.

Bachelor of management studies major in finance from mumbai University ( cgpa. 8).
HSC from State board with 74%.
SSC from State board with 77%.

Frm exam 1
Corporate finance from columbia business school through edx.

Gmat: 720.

TECHNICAL SKILLS; Windows,C,C#.

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS;
2nd prize in ad-mad for the topic : mutual fund.
Participated in various sports.
Volunteering in national service scheme.
Volunteer of local ngo.
Various certifications related to maths in school days.

3 months internship in iifl indian financial company.

Language;
Hindi
Marathi
English
French A2 level

What are my chances in top 15 msc finance pre experience universities ?

Posted from my mobile device


You would get into some programs, not get into a number of others. 720 is good, but for international students it doesn't stand out. Some decent awards and stuff, but like I said, nothing standing out. Your GPA looks strong and that will help. FRM L1 is very nice. I am going to assume you are looking at the FT rankings for European type programs? I would say you should pick one or two stretch programs (LSE would come to mind because of the sheer number of MSc programs they have) and a number of lower ranked European programs. SSE, Bocconi, stuff like that seems low probability.

That being said, I will defer to anyone who knows the European programs better.
_________________
Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2018
Posts: 17
Re: MSF Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 08:22
Which bschools should i target ?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MSF Class of 2020   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2019, 08:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 38 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

MSF Class of 2020

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne