Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.04
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8831 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Where do you plan to work after graduation? I would really think about it from that perspective. You will have I think one or two years after graduation in the US, this is all being debated...more if you have a STEM related degree, but you have a guaranteed 3 years in Canada which makes me relatively bullish on schools in Canada for those who have lowish GMAT and are not able to crack top-tier schools in the US.

Is there any way that HEC will extend their offer to HEC Montreal? Still language barrier but it is a bilingual City and so you could get by a little better. The HEC brand is terrific, but it doesn't really do you much good unless there is a strong alumni presence where you plan to work after graduation, and or you legally can work in France.

https://mbaprepcoach.com
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon) [#permalink]
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Where do you plan to work after graduation? I would really think about it from that perspective. You will have I think one or two years after graduation in the US, this is all being debated...more if you have a STEM related degree, but you have a guaranteed 3 years in Canada which makes me relatively bullish on schools in Canada for those who have lowish GMAT and are not able to crack top-tier schools in the US.

Is there any way that HEC will extend their offer to HEC Montreal? Still language barrier but it is a bilingual City and so you could get by a little better. The HEC brand is terrific, but it doesn't really do you much good unless there is a strong alumni presence where you plan to work after graduation, and or you legally can work in France.

Personally, I am more inclined towards working in the North American market compared to European since it might give more "mobility".

Neither Purdue or SMU are stem really. I did apply to 1-2 stem programs but didn't get in.

Canada, as you mentioned, gives 3 years OPT. Adequate time to look for work but certainly an uphill battle without the local experiences and a huge Rotman batch ahead of the line.

HEC has strong exchanges with top-tier US schools but not much with Montreal HEC. They do have a strong base in Europe and perhaps in the Middle East but nothing beyond. Also, HEC gives me at least 1-year visa post MBA.

It's a tough call. Its a decision between ranking and longer visa with the uncertainty of employment in between lol
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
TA89 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Personally, I am more inclined towards working in the North American market compared to European since it might give more "mobility".

Neither Purdue or SMU are stem really. I did apply to 1-2 stem programs but didn't get in.

Canada, as you mentioned, gives 3 years OPT. Adequate time to look for work but certainly an uphill battle without the local experiences and a huge Rotman batch ahead of the line.

HEC has strong exchanges with top-tier US schools but not much with Montreal HEC. They do have a strong base in Europe and perhaps in the Middle East but nothing beyond. Also, HEC gives me at least 1-year visa post MBA.

It's a tough call. Its a decision between ranking and longer visa with the uncertainty of employment in between lol
Given your industry experience than what your value proposition is to the school, I think SMU would be the most sensible choice. Indicate to them that financial aid is important and see if they can come up with a better offer. You have what their recruiters would be looking for.

I would really love to see you get into Rice or McCombs. If you haven't worked for with a consultant in the past I suggest you might explore that. I think that it would be best for you to focus on recruiting within your current industry as you develop a new function and then as you become more proficient in that functions, changing industry.

It's really difficult to change function, industry and geography all in one go and asking for that presents a bit of a risk to school.

When you're in business school you can recruit outside of your industry but I think the school wants to know that you have a plan B, hireable, and I mention this because I think that both of those schools might be better choices for Round 2 targets for that reason. Greater odds.

GMAT Club Bot