It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 07:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Music or total silence?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Music or total silence? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 04:33
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys ! i was wondering if you like to focus while using ambient music as background or total silence to help you concentrate bettter. In some research it is adviced to listen to classical music for certain tasks and it raises IQ for a short period of time up to 10 points ?

Cheers!

lets all unite to reach our target together
Kudos if you like the post!

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Analyst (Health Care)
Re: Music or total silence? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 05:12
This post received
KUDOS
AweG wrote:
Hey guys ! i was wondering if you like to focus while using ambient music as background or total silence to help you concentrate bettter. In some research it is adviced to listen to classical music for certain tasks and it raises IQ for a short period of time up to 10 points ?

Cheers!

Hi AweG

I have heard of certain classical musician compositions and playlists on YouTube which help you calm yourself down.

However, I personally prefer silence. Also from the point of view of the GMAT exam - say between sections or while you are waiting in the hall for the test to begin - I am told they provide you earplugs to be used during the test. Since you only have silence to accompany you then, I think it best to try and pratice using silence as a method to calmness.

But in the end it is essentially whatever works best for you, mate. :-)

Best,
Gladi
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 05:01
This post received
KUDOS
Gladiator59 wrote:
AweG wrote:

Cheers!

Hi AweG

I have heard of certain classical musician compositions and playlists on YouTube which help you calm yourself down.

However, I personally prefer silence. Also from the point of view of the GMAT exam - say between sections or while you are waiting in the hall for the test to begin - I am told they provide you earplugs to be used during the test. Since you only have silence to accompany you then, I think it best to try and pratice using silence as a method to calmness.

Best,
Gladi

I didnt know that you are allowed to have earplugs during the exam! do you know if i can bring my own plugs for the exam ? cause what they offer i guess is the standard ones which are usually quite carpy

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Analyst (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
AweG wrote:
Gladiator59 wrote:
AweG wrote:

Cheers!

Hi AweG

Best,
Gladi

I didnt know that you are allowed to have earplugs during the exam! do you know if i can bring my own plugs for the exam ? cause what they offer i guess is the standard ones which are usually quite carpy

Hey AweG,

I do not think they allow you to get your OWN earphones afaik. I was talking about the same standard crappy earphones :-D

It is still better than not having any earphones.. the point I am making is don't make it a habit to listen to music to calm down... Else you might end up feeling restless when you don't get any music. :-)

Best,
Gladi
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 14:47
This post received
KUDOS
JohnShelby wrote:
You know, in my situation it depends. It depends on my mood, it depends on the time of the day, even on the weather, and so on and so forth. I like listening to music while I'm writing or preparing something but it helps me to concentrate only at the first part of the day. And only if I am not too tired. In this case I can even listen to some rock music. But if I am nervous or if I am after a complicated day then even Ludovico Einaudi will seem to me too distractive. But in the bigger part of situations, silence is better to focus.

Nicely put. I think i will continue having as much silence as i can while doing gmat.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 00:03
This post received
KUDOS
i concentrate in silence, because music is it distracts me. I'm used to the fact that music is just for recreation
Re: Music or total silence?   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2018, 00:03

Music or total silence?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap