Last visit was: 19 Jul 2024, 23:51 It is currently 19 Jul 2024, 23:51
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 01 Nov 2019
Posts: 251
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [24]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Jun 2019
Posts: 189
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Location: India
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 01 Nov 2019
Posts: 251
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Status:Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Posts: 19175
Own Kudos [?]: 22679 [2]
Given Kudos: 286
Location: United States (CA)
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Louis14,

Congrats on a great score! I'm so happy I was able to help! Good luck with things moving forward.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Wow! I really want to appreciate your writing skills :) you wrote your heart out here! It was a good read. I am someone who has been studying for the GMAT for about 13 months now but have not gotten to the point of giving the real exam. Hopefully your encouragement will work and help me. Congrats to you and thanks! Btw chai and paratha <3

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
Thank you so much for your debrief!! I always try to read one before studying for a little bit of encouragement. I did want to ask -- how did you create questions sets?

"By calibrated, I mean, doing practice sets at three levels of difficulty: Sub-600 level, 600-700 level, and 700+ level. The source for these practice sets was the incredible GMATCLUB, where there is an option to create sets of questions at your preferred difficulty level and also to restrict your question sets to sources you trust. If you don't know how to avail this option, leave a comment, and I'll share the link. "
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Sep 2020
Posts: 34
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
1
Kudos
I read this first thing in the morning and it has absolutely made my day! Congratulations to you! I definitely know the financial pressure of NEEDING to get it right in the first attempt =)
Imma take your advice and get started with those practice set streaks, goodness knows my quant score leaves much to be desired haha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 01 Nov 2019
Posts: 251
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
delighted07 wrote:
Wow! I really want to appreciate your writing skills :) you wrote your heart out here! It was a good read. I am someone who has been studying for the GMAT for about 13 months now but have not gotten to the point of giving the real exam. Hopefully your encouragement will work and help me. Congrats to you and thanks! Btw chai and paratha <3

Posted from my mobile device


Thanks so much for reading my lengthy debrief!

Keep at it! You can see from my story that it were in the last two to three months that my scores really improved to my target levels. Before that I was totally struggling, with no clear guidance. Right guidance is the key! I've tried to be as meticulous in my debrief as I could be so that I could share all the right guidance I had. Trust me, it'll come together sooner than you expect!

Haha. Chai and Parathas are :heart !

Originally posted by Louis14 on 10 Dec 2020, 22:10.
Last edited by Louis14 on 10 Dec 2020, 22:26, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 01 Nov 2019
Posts: 251
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
BillieBryn wrote:
Thank you so much for your debrief!! I always try to read one before studying for a little bit of encouragement. I did want to ask -- how did you create questions sets?

"By calibrated, I mean, doing practice sets at three levels of difficulty: Sub-600 level, 600-700 level, and 700+ level. The source for these practice sets was the incredible GMATCLUB, where there is an option to create sets of questions at your preferred difficulty level and also to restrict your question sets to sources you trust. If you don't know how to avail this option, leave a comment, and I'll share the link. "


Thanks for reading it through! :)

Here you go https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

Use this link to make questions sets. You can choose the sources you want your questions from, and you can also choose the level of difficulty you want to practice at. Have fun!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 01 Nov 2019
Posts: 251
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
1
Kudos
siriusly wrote:
I read this first thing in the morning and it has absolutely made my day! Congratulations to you! I definitely know the financial pressure of NEEDING to get it right in the first attempt =)
Imma take your advice and get started with those practice set streaks, goodness knows my quant score leaves much to be desired haha


Thanks for reading it! :please:

I am so pleased that it helped you in some way!! You please do practice the strategy I shared, and keep me posted.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Sep 2020
Posts: 34
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
Louis14 wrote:

Thanks for reading it! :please:

I am so pleased that it helped you in some way!! You please do practice the strategy I shared, and keep me posted.


I'm reporting back to say that the idea of making 10-question challenge sets is PURE GENIUS - I've seen so much improvement thanks to you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 01 Nov 2019
Posts: 251
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
1
Kudos
siriusly wrote:
Louis14 wrote:

Thanks for reading it! :please:

I am so pleased that it helped you in some way!! You please do practice the strategy I shared, and keep me posted.


I'm reporting back to say that the idea of making 10-question challenge sets is PURE GENIUS - I've seen so much improvement thanks to you!


Ah, brilliant! So pleased to hear that!!! Keep at it! :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Location: India
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
Thanks for the Debrief.
The line which I could relate to totally is "Part of the reason it took me so long to write the GMAT was simply that I didn't have an extra $250 to spend on it twice".
PS: I am still trying to figure out my GMAT date for the past 15months :-(
Intern
Intern
Joined: 01 Oct 2019
Posts: 15
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
Really enjoyed the whole success story... thanks alot for taking time and writing this for us.


i attempted 2 times for gmat and guess what? i scored 380 on my first attempt,that too after 8 months preparation.. after 2 months i appeared again and scored 370


broken and shattered now!!!
but
after reading this, i am motivated again... thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 01 Nov 2019
Posts: 251
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Utsav Mukherjee wrote:
Thanks for the Debrief.
The line which I could relate to totally is "Part of the reason it took me so long to write the GMAT was simply that I didn't have an extra $250 to spend on it twice".
PS: I am still trying to figure out my GMAT date for the past 15months :-(


I can relate, my friend! I totally can. If I may give you an advice on this, I'd say that the thoughts that don't let you book the date for the GMAT would not go away. Ever. You have to book the date by forcibly ignoring those thoughts. Just sit down and book for the test. Period. I've been there, and it took me months to realize that if I continued to base my decision to register for the GMAT on the fiction of complete satisfaction in preparation, then I never will. I forced myself to avert all such thoughts that essentially told me that I wasn't prepared and that $250 would go in vain. I denied them a space in my head. I sat down and registered for the test day. Done. It was what it was then. Trust me, after registering for the test, I felt strong and resolved. I didn't study for the last two weeks!! And, by God's grace, the test went absolutely smooth.

I realize $250 is a big investment, but we just have two options: Either sit for the GMAT or completely give in and skip it. After giving 15 months of your life, the option of giving in is effectively a non-option. You have to take it, my friend. Just dive in, and keep faith. It'll be fine!

Originally posted by Louis14 on 29 Dec 2020, 04:49.
Last edited by Louis14 on 29 Dec 2020, 05:02, edited 3 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 01 Nov 2019
Posts: 251
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Vvin wrote:
Really enjoyed the whole success story... thanks alot for taking time and writing this for us.


i attempted 2 times for gmat and guess what? i scored 380 on my first attempt,that too after 8 months preparation.. after 2 months i appeared again and scored 370


broken and shattered now!!!
but
after reading this, i am motivated again... thanks

Posted from my mobile device


Thanks. I'm happy it helped, my friend.

Just a word, if I may share. Everyday, make it a habit to write it in on a page, "I am a genius. I'll ace the GMAT. I am enough." Just write this again and again on your page. Fill the whole page or two. Just write these sentences again and again. And, keep preparing for the GMAT. Do this, and share what happens after one month. You'll see wonders!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Apr 2022
Posts: 9
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
Amazing read! Thanks for sharing your journey :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My 17-Months Long GMAT Journey: 680 (Q48;V34)! [Debrief] [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37845 posts