It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My 4th GMAT attempt and still 550. Shall I shift to GRE?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
My 4th GMAT attempt and still 550. Shall I shift to GRE? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 04:34
I have learned a lot about you from Manhattan prep, and I thought perhaps I can ask you guys for some suggestions,

When I scored 560 (Q44 V26) in my third attempt back in November 2017, I asked my peers, colleagues and my fellow members from the GMAT club about what step should I take next. The general consensus was, and I also agreed with it, that I should not throw in the towel and go for the 4th attempt, especially because since my quant score was low and I needed to improve it. So I made mental maps for SC, CR, RC by combining all the materials and lessons that I have acquired from studying with almost all of the GMAT prep firms: Empower GMAT (3 months), The Economist (3 months), E-gmat (6 months), and Manhattan. For Quant, I decided to trust one more prep firm, since I didn't have a good experience with any of the online prep courses that I have listed above, for my 4th attempt. So I decided to try out Math-Revolution and believe me this was the best course that has helped me tremendously as I scored 46 in quant in my 4th attempt. But however, my score dropped by 10 points. I ended up scoring 550 (Q46, V20).

Now I have been preparing for the GMAT for 2 years and I have tried all the courses. For my first, I studied with the Economist. For my second attempt, I studied with Empower GMAT, for third I studied with E-gmat (for verbal) and Manhattan (for quant). And for the fourth attempt, I continued my verbal prep with E-gmat (since I managed to pick my verbal score from V19 in 2nd attempt to V26 in 3rd attempt) and enrolled in Math-Revolution course for quant. I have practiced Mock exams over and over again: Official GMAT prep exam packs, Manhattan 6 exams and Kaplan exams. In fact while I was practicing mock tests for my 4th attempt, I did manage to score from 640-710, believe it or not. But obviously I have to pause at least 4 times per each section in the mock couple of times to rest my eyes and calm my mind.

Now, I feel that I simply don't have what it takes to ace the GMAT. Even 600+ would have been a decent score I can't even cross 590 bar. I have spent 2 years trying to ace the GMAT but I can no longer waste any more time. I need to apply to good business at some stage. I need to move on.

The schools that I want to apply to are UBC, Cornell, Mannheim, Carnegie Mellon, HHL Leipzig, HEC, Bocconi, Kelly, IMD.

My questions are:

1) If I am not destined to get admitted to any good MBA program, with good future returns, with that awful score, can I apply to these school's specialized business programs?

2) Can I apply for specialized business programs, such as entrepreneurship, global business, masters in management offered by these schools now and in the mean time I can prepare for GRE?

3) Do I even consider taking the GRE test?

4) How much time does it take to prepare for the GRE, given that I have already spent 2 years preparing for GMAT and given the fact that GRE's quant is easier that GMAT's and I have recently scored 46 in GMAT quant.

My overall goal is to do an MBA from top school but with these scores i need to put those goals aside. What are logical steps that I need to take? I wanted to apply in the third round for European and Canadian Universities.

Please help me,
Taha
EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Reviews Badge
Re: My 4th GMAT attempt and still 550. Shall I shift to GRE? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 12:05
Hi Taha,

First, I'm impressed by your perseverance with the GMAT. It sounds like you've been on a tough journey.

Second, I would definitely give the GRE a shot. I've seen other applicants struggle with the GMAT and do much better on the GRE. And the GRE is becoming more common at many MBA programs, so it won't hurt your chances to submit that test instead. At the very least, I would start with a GRE practice exam and see how it goes, how your score compares, and whether you feel it's any easier for you. You can use this tool to compare scores: https://www.ets.org/s/gre/flash/bschool ... 17302/170/

You may also be interested to check this out: https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2018/01 ... aphic-new/

Otherwise, yes I think you could target specialized programs instead, or widen your reach of schools to include some where your score is in range.

Best of luck!
Kate

Mohyuddin91 wrote:
I have learned a lot about you from Manhattan prep, and I thought perhaps I can ask you guys for some suggestions,

When I scored 560 (Q44 V26) in my third attempt back in November 2017, I asked my peers, colleagues and my fellow members from the GMAT club about what step should I take next. The general consensus was, and I also agreed with it, that I should not throw in the towel and go for the 4th attempt, especially because since my quant score was low and I needed to improve it. So I made mental maps for SC, CR, RC by combining all the materials and lessons that I have acquired from studying with almost all of the GMAT prep firms: Empower GMAT (3 months), The Economist (3 months), E-gmat (6 months), and Manhattan. For Quant, I decided to trust one more prep firm, since I didn't have a good experience with any of the online prep courses that I have listed above, for my 4th attempt. So I decided to try out Math-Revolution and believe me this was the best course that has helped me tremendously as I scored 46 in quant in my 4th attempt. But however, my score dropped by 10 points. I ended up scoring 550 (Q46, V20).

Now I have been preparing for the GMAT for 2 years and I have tried all the courses. For my first, I studied with the Economist. For my second attempt, I studied with Empower GMAT, for third I studied with E-gmat (for verbal) and Manhattan (for quant). And for the fourth attempt, I continued my verbal prep with E-gmat (since I managed to pick my verbal score from V19 in 2nd attempt to V26 in 3rd attempt) and enrolled in Math-Revolution course for quant. I have practiced Mock exams over and over again: Official GMAT prep exam packs, Manhattan 6 exams and Kaplan exams. In fact while I was practicing mock tests for my 4th attempt, I did manage to score from 640-710, believe it or not. But obviously I have to pause at least 4 times per each section in the mock couple of times to rest my eyes and calm my mind.

Now, I feel that I simply don't have what it takes to ace the GMAT. Even 600+ would have been a decent score I can't even cross 590 bar. I have spent 2 years trying to ace the GMAT but I can no longer waste any more time. I need to apply to good business at some stage. I need to move on.

The schools that I want to apply to are UBC, Cornell, Mannheim, Carnegie Mellon, HHL Leipzig, HEC, Bocconi, Kelly, IMD.

My questions are:

1) If I am not destined to get admitted to any good MBA program, with good future returns, with that awful score, can I apply to these school's specialized business programs?

2) Can I apply for specialized business programs, such as entrepreneurship, global business, masters in management offered by these schools now and in the mean time I can prepare for GRE?

3) Do I even consider taking the GRE test?

4) How much time does it take to prepare for the GRE, given that I have already spent 2 years preparing for GMAT and given the fact that GRE's quant is easier that GMAT's and I have recently scored 46 in GMAT quant.

My overall goal is to do an MBA from top school but with these scores i need to put those goals aside. What are logical steps that I need to take? I wanted to apply in the third round for European and Canadian Universities.

Please help me,
Taha

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: My 4th GMAT attempt and still 550. Shall I shift to GRE? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 13:00
Thank you Kate for your reply. its been very helpful :)

My 4th GMAT attempt and still 550. Shall I shift to GRE?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap