Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: My experience with GMAT preparation [#permalink]
Kudos
tiklis wrote:
Your mail is very inspiring for someone like me who is just about starting the preparation, though I know for sure that it will take me much more time than it took you to prepare.

Also I noticed that in all your tests, your variance in quant is much less than your variance in verbal. Is this normal and does it have some lessons for us as beginners? Overall, I have always been quite comfortable with maths, so I feel that english will be the primary area where I would need to focus more. You do mention Manhattan verbal guides, but say that you only used them very briefly.

So, can you suggest what exactly bumped up your score so much in verbal?

Although I used the Manhattan guides only briefly, I think that you get 80% of the knowledge after a brief study, you don't need to go very deep. It seems to me that GMAT likes to ask specific types of questions that, once explained to you in the guide, suddenly become more manageable.

It also helped me to practice whole tests, not just stand alone exercises, because a large part of doing well is being able to concentrate for the whole time. I definitely struggled with that in the beginning, so I had to read every question twice or three times... And I still didn't get it, because there where other things on my mind. As the test day was approaching, I was naturally more stressed and hence more concentrated, which translates to better reading comprehension.

I also need to point out again than there is a lot of variance in verbal scores, at least for me there was...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My experience with GMAT preparation [#permalink]