GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My First AWA Essay please rate it:

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
My First AWA Essay please rate it:  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 06:37
Hey all, I think you know the drill. I took a practice test recently and here was the essay I wrote. I am curious to get some insight on how to improve upon it. Let me know what you think, I am also open to any tips!

The following appeared in a corporate memorandum of a beverage manufacturer:

“Our promotional price reductions on energy drinks have been highly successful, as we have seen a dramatic increase in unit sales. Further, surveys of our consumers indicate that this promotion was favorably received by the majority of our customers. Therefore, to improve our company’s profitability and enhance its perception in the eyes of consumers, similar price reductions should be offered on all drinks produced by our firm.”

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.
Your Response:
The statement claims that a reduction in price has caused success throughout the company and they will plan to use the same strategy on other items in order to create similar success. While it's possible that the decrease in price has generated some buzz there are likely several other factors coming into play.

Firstly, there are typically multiple marketing ploys that get implemented at the same time to generate more business. Often times, alongside a price reduction, marketers will create new flavors to generate buzz. If this is the case you will typically see a spike in sales as people's curiosity will peak; soda companies are notorious for doing this during summer months to create scarcity.

Secondly, having success reducing the price of one item doesn't necessarily mean that you will have success reducing the price of other items, consumer's perceptions can vary depending on items. For example, in the very competitive coffee world, a strategy of Bigby coffee is to be higher priced than it's competitors. In their eyes and the eyes of their consumers it means that the coffee is better quality and is to be valued higher than say a Starbucks. A reduction in price could actually be a detriment to some of the products and hurt the company overall, they should do market studies before determining the impact.

Lastly, there could be a change in the demographic of where the product is sold. Some companies will only sell their product in certain locations such as convenience stores or fast food restaurants. If the company also changed its strategy for location, to say more college campus's or locations where stimulants are more highly valued then that could be a driving factor for sales.

Overall, there are many other factors that could be driving the increase in sales. It's wrong to assume that since one item has experienced success with the new strategy that all others would as well. They will have to consider all factors such as if they created new flavors, the perception of the price change to the consumer, as well as if there was a recently change in location. If any other factor such as this has occurred it's likely its not just the price reduction that benefited the business.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: My First AWA Essay please rate it:  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 21:11
barnaeva wrote:
Hey all, I think you know the drill. I took a practice test recently and here was the essay I wrote. I am curious to get some insight on how to improve upon it. Let me know what you think, I am also open to any tips!

The following appeared in a corporate memorandum of a beverage manufacturer:

“Our promotional price reductions on energy drinks have been highly successful, as we have seen a dramatic increase in unit sales. Further, surveys of our consumers indicate that this promotion was favorably received by the majority of our customers. Therefore, to improve our company’s profitability and enhance its perception in the eyes of consumers, similar price reductions should be offered on all drinks produced by our firm.”

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.
Your Response:
The statement claims that a reduction in price has caused success throughout the company and they will plan to use the same strategy on other items in order to create similar success. While it's possible that the decrease in price has generated some buzz there are likely several other factors coming into play.

Firstly, there are typically multiple marketing ploys that get implemented at the same time to generate more business. Often times, alongside a price reduction, marketers will create new flavors to generate buzz. If this is the case you will typically see a spike in sales as people's curiosity will peak; soda companies are notorious for doing this during summer months to create scarcity.

Secondly, having success reducing the price of one item doesn't necessarily mean that you will have success reducing the price of other items, consumer's perceptions can vary depending on items. For example, in the very competitive coffee world, a strategy of Bigby coffee is to be higher priced than it's competitors. In their eyes and the eyes of their consumers it means that the coffee is better quality and is to be valued higher than say a Starbucks. A reduction in price could actually be a detriment to some of the products and hurt the company overall, they should do market studies before determining the impact.

Lastly, there could be a change in the demographic of where the product is sold. Some companies will only sell their product in certain locations such as convenience stores or fast food restaurants. If the company also changed its strategy for location, to say more college campus's or locations where stimulants are more highly valued then that could be a driving factor for sales.

Overall, there are many other factors that could be driving the increase in sales. It's wrong to assume that since one item has experienced success with the new strategy that all others would as well. They will have to consider all factors such as if they created new flavors, the perception of the price change to the consumer, as well as if there was a recently change in location. If any other factor such as this has occurred it's likely its not just the price reduction that benefited the business.

Hi barnaeva

Please find below the link which contains almost all the essays related to the GMAT exam (you might find similar essays like the one posted by you as well). These essays will guarantee you a score of 5-6 in the AWA section of the GMAT Exam.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/awa-compilations-109-analysis-of-argument-essays-86274.html

For any further queries please do get back to me. All the best for your exam preparation :)

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 21:14
Anyone have a rating!?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 21:20
barnaeva wrote:
Anyone have a rating!?

Hi barnaeva ,

The essays mentioned in the link do not have ratings . You can go through the link and check it out for yourself from the comments and post mentioned in it. :)

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 21:22
Thank you, I will be sure to check it out but was curious about the essay I wrote.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 21:28
barnaeva wrote:
Thank you, I will be sure to check it out but was curious about the essay I wrote.

Hi barnaeva

To evaluate your essay please go through the below mentioned link. I hope it shall be helpful :)

http://www.gmatawa.com/

Retired Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 21:33
barnaeva wrote:

Five. You can check it by yourself here going forward:
www.gmatawa.com

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Re: My First AWA Essay please rate it: &nbs [#permalink] 10 Feb 2018, 21:33

My First AWA Essay please rate it:

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap