Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 2.4
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Experience and additional help needed [#permalink]
you may try manhattan series ... i also raised my quant score using these books
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thank you for your thoughts..I am taking toefl this weekend (which is providing me a much needed break)..I plan to start on preprations from coming Sunday..I will provide a update soon :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So TOEFL is done..Its time for GMAT prep !!!

I have decided to be a bit more methodical and I will start with SC..Complete Aristrotle SC grail, then I will review MGMAt SC guide and then check E-gmat course for SC..

I should be able to complete Aristrotle SC grail by this weekend and then I will work on some practice questions for the site..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Don't ever quit the job for taking GMAT. Make full use to sick leaves. :) I think these are the most important topics for maths:

Number properties
Rate/Work problems
Coordinate geometry/Line equation problems
Series: Geometric(Exponential) + arithmetic series
Even spaced series

Try to change your approach. Previously, I was very slow in maths, but now I always complete the Q section much before time. What I do now is try to read the question and then read the answers. This helps me as I plan a approach keeping the answers in mind. Also, learn techniques to plug in the answer choices.

Next time, sleep a lot before the exam. Start going to gym and relax a lot. I always take the exams at slots around 2PM so that I can have plenty of sleep and go to gym that day to de-stress myself.

It's all about nerves, and I think a good sleep can get you 40-50 points advantage. How were you faring in the GMATprep's?

Don't worry much about the age. The schools in Europe are much better in that terms.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
someone79 wrote:
Don't ever quit the job for taking GMAT. Make full use to sick leaves. :) I think these are the most important topics for maths:

Number properties
Rate/Work problems
Coordinate geometry/Line equation problems
Series: Geometric(Exponential) + arithmetic series
Even spaced series

Try to change your approach. Previously, I was very slow in maths, but now I always complete the Q section much before time. What I do now is try to read the question and then read the answers. This helps me as I plan a approach keeping the answers in mind. Also, learn techniques to plug in the answer choices.

Next time, sleep a lot before the exam. Start going to gym and relax a lot. I always take the exams at slots around 2PM so that I can have plenty of sleep and go to gym that day to de-stress myself.

It's all about nerves, and I think a good sleep can get you 40-50 points advantage. How were you faring in the GMATprep's?

Don't worry much about the age. The schools in Europe are much better in that terms.

Any material for Quant ? I plan to use GMAT Club tests..

And I am will definately not take a 9AM slot next time around..it really sucks..I am not a morning person..
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
You want to get a slot that's most conducive to your performance.
What was the actual score you got? 610?

You are a little on the lower side for your target schools in terms of the 80% GMAT spread and quite a bit below the average. I would recommend retaking and putting one last push into it (perhaps look for a course to address your weaknesses - there is a number of them for SC, CR, RC, etc specifically for less than $100 or 200.)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks bb..I plan to up my score this time around from 600 (Q44, V29)..I am looking at e-gmat right now and am tempted by free GMAT club tests :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Make your body clock work for you. Don't fight it. If 2 PM works for you, then go for it.

You can improve both in verbal and in quant. I found the Advanced MGMAT Quant book very useful, but I can say that GMATCLUB's maths questions are also very helpful. You should cover all the Maths books from MGMAT as they are really good. This time try to focus both on questions and answers. GMAT maths is very easy, but you need to practice a lot. There are set patterns and this is where doing a lot of questions help.

Let me know which books you referred to for verbal as I can suggest you a few. I had real problems with verbal in the beginning as I never paid any attention to grammar - never needed it for becoming an engineer, but now I can easily spot errors in most of the English Newspapers and Websites in U.S.

Don't get side-tracked by the age issue. One more thing, I took Red Bull this time and rather than helping me, it made my head spin a little. So if you plan to use it, try it on your practice tests. Due to working in software field for long time, my eyes get dry a lot so I took some eye drops ( Refresh Plus) to the test and used then in each break. By the time the verbals come, my eyes are always red due to dryness, so I try to finish the quant ahead of time and don't submit the last question. I use this time to close my eyes for 10-15 minutes. All in all, try to find out what bothers you during the test. This you can do by taking full length tests. Timing is very important and GMAT WILL TRY to upset you. Don't bother. I think I failed to achieve my target score due to paucity of time in the last 12 verbal questions. I got a passage of more than 600 or 700 words, and that upset my rhythm and the fact that I got 12A(13) number terminal, which did upset me in the beginning. I will try again to beat this "monster" GMAT. :)

Have full run of tests and take all the sections, including the AWA. This will take care of a lot of your test day anxiety. One more thing: tell yourself 100 times that GMAT can be taken again without too much of delay. It will help ward off the test day anxiety.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
someone79 wrote:
Make your body clock work for you. Don't fight it. If 2 PM works for you, then go for it.

You can improve both in verbal and in quant. I found the Advanced MGMAT Quant book very useful, but I can say that GMATCLUB's maths questions are also very helpful. You should cover all the Maths books from MGMAT as they are really good. This time try to focus both on questions and answers. GMAT maths is very easy, but you need to practice a lot. There are set patterns and this is where doing a lot of questions help.

Let me know which books you referred to for verbal as I can suggest you a few. I had real problems with verbal in the beginning as I never paid any attention to grammar - never needed it for becoming an engineer, but now I can easily spot errors in most of the English Newspapers and Websites in U.S.

Don't get side-tracked by the age issue. One more thing, I took Red Bull this time and rather than helping me, it made my head spin a little. So if you plan to use it, try it on your practice tests. Due to working in software field for long time, my eyes get dry a lot so I took some eye drops ( Refresh Plus) to the test and used then in each break. By the time the verbals come, my eyes are always red due to dryness, so I try to finish the quant ahead of time and don't submit the last question. I use this time to close my eyes for 10-15 minutes. All in all, try to find out what bothers you during the test. This you can do by taking full length tests. Timing is very important and GMAT WILL TRY to upset you. Don't bother. I think I failed to achieve my target score due to paucity of time in the last 12 verbal questions. I got a passage of more than 600 or 700 words, and that upset my rhythm and the fact that I got 12A(13) number terminal, which did upset me in the beginning. I will try again to beat this "monster" GMAT. :)

Have full run of tests and take all the sections, including the AWA. This will take care of a lot of your test day anxiety. One more thing: tell yourself 100 times that GMAT can be taken again without too much of delay. It will help ward off the test day anxiety.

Thank you for your advice..I have started taking e-gmat course and once its complete..I will decide on my progress and my Second Big date..

Also I too got a very long passage around 10-12 para's ..may be its something new for the GMAT
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts