Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: My GMAT failure [#permalink]
Kudos
I think a common mistake a lot of us make is thinking that doing x problems gives us mastery over the same. This is not true. Studying smart will help you. Don't think of the time you put in as wasted time. Instead see it as investment. You can only go up from here. Work on your Quant and bring it up to a 48-49 and your verbal to a 35 and you have a score close to 700

Good luck

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Siyer and Whiplash for your suggestions. I think girindra and I are facing the same problem of unexpected tough Quant section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Good luck.

shilps wrote:
Hi Friends,

My GMAT resulted in to 590 ( Q : 40 , V: 31) and AWA 4.5. I was quite hoping more than 590. Manhattan test scores were ranging from 600 to 680. GMAT Prep1 : 610 (two months before the exam ) and GMAT Prep 2 : 640 (three days before the exam)

I am a freqent visitior on GMAT club, even though I wrote very few posts. Used right material, right study plan, studied for many months.. Biggest mistake is that I ignored Quant and always ran behind improvising Verbal. Quant from OG 12 felt very easy so I did not study anything part from that but in actual exam quant was tough. Towards the end of the section, I had only 10 minutes for 11 questions. Had to guess many. I never struggled with Quant from any mock tests so did not pay proper attention.

About Verbal, RC is always my weak area. Improved a lot in SC after taking suggestions from GMAT club members. CR was never a big problem. In actual exam, verbal seemed very easy but seeing the scores, I do not understand what went wrong. Verbal, I had to guess on on last two questions but everything went smooth apart from that.

Now what next ? Felt very sad after seeing the score. Starting my MBA in Fall 2011 is my first priority because I am not working currently. I am targetting first 100 B schools. I have decided to give another try to GMAT. I know I can improve a lot in Quant, considering that I manage to get same score in Verbal. First, I purcahsed GMAT club tests now. I am going to give another shot to GMAT. Meanwhile I have decided to appear for TOEFL first and then GMAT.

Friends, need suggestions from you.

Many thanks,
Shilps
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
GMAT club Math tests will definitely help your quant score.

I suggest you check out posts by Bunuel. He's simply a master!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks scheol79. I will check that. At this moment, I feel very upset by the results and do not know whether I can improve in a short time frame.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Kudos
I am not a part of achiever's club , I am yet to appear for my gmat , but would like to comment on the situation , it may help you the way it has helped me.

1) the most crucial part is to decide whether to focus on improving fundamentals or practice more , you can decide this by seeing the consistency in your scores over varios areas. e.g. if you are consistently good at percantage , you may decide not to work on funda of %, and practice max questions ( take help of tag if required ). ideally if you are 30+ in variables there is not much problem with fundamentals .. the prob is with advanced level questions, strategy and recall of question.

2) Another Most crucial point is error log... it really helped me a lot in understanding where i am failing ... so i could devote my limited time to the areas i need to improve.

once we cross the 600+ barrier , each and every question becomes very important , GMATclub tests are of great value.... if you tackle them well ... the question of confidence on the gmat day will not arise at all.

Inspite of all , RC is still a pain for me tooo :) but am learning and this process is helping me to improve on it

thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks hirendhanak and USCTrojan2006 for your support.
I will try my best in the next attempt. I am reappearing for GMAT in Jan because I do not have luxury of more time now.
Still felt too bad about this failure..Trying to overcome it and starting studies again.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I would suggest reading the debriefs of people scoring over 750. Read at least 4 or 5 and see what worked for them. Then make that yours. Master the fundamentals, and then work on the higher level stuff. Chances are, if you don't understand the basics, you're not gonna be doing well on the 700 level stuff. Make use of the MGMAT assessments reports. These are SO valuable, I can't tell you enough.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Whiplash.

MGMAT assessments reports means the reports generated after mock tests right ?
I will make use of them. I did not use error log , thinking it will be waste of time but I am going to use it this time. Since I have to apply for Fall 2011, I have very less time and I am appearing for TOEFL soon. Later on, I will appear again for GMAT. Thanks all the dear friends for your kind words.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Just an addition if you gonna implement error log, error log will help in devising the checklist of points for each type of SC questions , if you wanna see how i did it.. send me a pm with yr email id i will share the same ... this checklist helps in assessing every dynamics of the SC error type under the stressful conditions of test.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Send PM
shilps wrote:
Thanks Whiplash.

MGMAT assessments reports means the reports generated after mock tests right ?
I will make use of them. I did not use error log , thinking it will be waste of time but I am going to use it this time. Since I have to apply for Fall 2011, I have very less time and I am appearing for TOEFL soon. Later on, I will appear again for GMAT. Thanks all the dear friends for your kind words.

If you look above the reviewing section for you CATs, there should be two links that say: "Generate assessment report" and "Instructions for generating assessment reports" - take a look at those two.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts