GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 04:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

My GMAT journey. 510 to 620 to anything above 650

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
My GMAT journey. 510 to 620 to anything above 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 17:12
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here on the forums but this is my first post. I have always been of the idea that i can do anything myself without ever directly asking for help but rather doing research on my own and engineering an answer as i go. Well I'm glad to admit that the GMAT has finally broken this bad habit of mine.

I really need a GMAT experts idea on how to overcome my weaknesses and the score plato i am experiencing, especially with quant and CR verbal. So here is my story:

I took my first GMAT a very long time ago and got crushed, scored a 510. I thought i had prepared. I had not. I gave up and did not want to hear of this exam ever again. But still the thought would come up from time to time. Can i do it, can i score higher, what do i need to do to score higher. Ever since that time i have pushed all my friends to go pursue higher education, and they have, and i have not. So i finally decided. 2018 was going to be the year i would crack the GMAT and get into my favorite school. Target score: anything above 650 and i would be happy. I have a strong GPA and good career path but i am not a native English speaker.

I decided to go with egmat for my prep. I did the whole course. I liked it and i would definitely recommend it but this is not a review of any prep company so lets leave it at that. I started my prep around May of this year, putting in several hours per day but until October i never thought of taking an actual mock test and i believe this was my downfall. I feel i wasted so much time just studying theory without even thinking about doing much practice.

My first free Gmat mock test and i scored a terrible 550. But that is not all. I DID NOT FINISH THE TEST. I was completely caught blindsided. I left unsolved 8 questions on quant and about 3 on verbal( after guessing another 3 before time ran out). But i still scored a 550. THIS got me thinking. I need to revise my priorities, I cant just try and solve every question right. The goal is to give your best shot at each question and finish. So i came up with a strategy that would allow me to keep track of my time and where should i be after approx 8 questions. I call it the grid strategy. I create a quick grid on a piece of paper and subtract 16 min increments from 62.
This tells me where i need to be after 8 questions 16 questions and so on.

This strategy partially worked for me. I took the second free gmat mock test a week after the first. I scored a 650 on it and i was feeling much better. At this point i decide i would give a try at the real thing. I picked a date and continued to study diligently. I could say this was a very heavy period of studying, much more intense than anything i had done before. I took additional mock tests from 800score (690 and 690) and veritas prep(600 and 600). I was getting mixed results but one thing is for sure i could not crack a q45 and a v35 consistently.

The real GMAT came by and I was calm and poised. I skipped over the IR and essay question and went straight for the kill. quant was not much different from what i had expected but i still managed to run out of time and guessed my last two questions. I feel i can do so much better but DS is really a struggle as i always try a math approach vs a logic approach. Verbal was ok, I only had to deal with 3 RC passages and I think this is what helped me get a v34. I did not do well AT ALL on RC and thats where i will be focusing for the next month or so. I ordered my ESR and i would love if someone could help me understand it better.

Please GMAT geniuses share your ideas with me.

Thanks,
Lendi
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: My GMAT journey. 510 to 620 to anything above 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 19:55
Hi Lendi,

From what you describe, it sounds as though you understand some of the 'shortcomings' in your prior studies - and the ability to do that type of analysis is important (it should help to make sure that you're efficient during this next phase of your studies).

While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you send me your ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you (since you're new to the forums, you won't be able to post it or send it via PM just yet, but you can feel free to email it to me).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

e-GMAT Representative
G
My GMAT journey. 510 to 620 to anything above 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 23:20
Hi lmyrtolli1990 ,

I am sorry to know that your scores were not in line with your expectations. In order to give you precise inputs, I would like to check the data of your preparation on Scholaranium and course dashboard along with all the information you have shared here and your ESR. Please send over your ESR through the registered email id to support@e-gmat.com.
Looking forward to your email. In the meanwhile, I think you will find the following articles useful:

I would also like to invite you to the Quant Workshop that we are conducting on this weekend. This workshop will help you devise a strategy to reach your target score in Quant. Register here to reserve your spot.

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: My GMAT journey. 510 to 620 to anything above 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 17:02
Hi Lendi,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Once you get your ESR, please upload it here, and I can provide some further advice. Also, are you looking for advice on how to structure your study plan for your retake? If so, please respond to the questions already asked, and I can provide specific advice.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: My GMAT journey. 510 to 620 to anything above 650 &nbs [#permalink] 31 Oct 2018, 17:02

My GMAT journey. 510 to 620 to anything above 650

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap