GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Second GMAT Experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which universities do you think will accept me? (multiple option available)

You may select up to 3 options
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge
My Second GMAT Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 10:00
As promised, I'm back with debrief of my second GMAT.
So let's start from the beginning, shall we?

I made sure I got a nice 8-10 hour sleep before I started the test, I didn't wanna be sleepy in the test.
I got to the test centre, for some reason, I was the only one at the test centre at that time, yet again.

I must say I loved it there, except I'm allergic to dust and powder, something that was there in the AC that just got into my nose, irritating really, but I feel I might be coming up with something. The test Admin was the same and very polite as before.
Anyhow, that's just the description of the centre. I know you want to hear about the GMAT

This time I selected the correct courses, there's a slider, I didn't see that the last time, it is camouflaged into the UI

I selected V Q IR A order.

VERBAL

I started the test with SC question, RCs were well paced, by that I mean I knew they'll come in that way and they did.
The RC questions were surprising, however. The questions were tricky, passages were all at least 3 paragraph long.
CR was always my weakness so I wouldn't comment on that, I even had to skip 2 questions. By skip I mean, carefully guessing and moving forward. The prompt were confusing.
SC was my strength as always, I saw 3 tricky questions, I know I got them right. There was a weirdly good pattern in those, a pattern that I've seen in the zillions of questions that I solved.
I might have been bad at managing time coz I had to rush through the last RC passage, probably my worst nightmare for the time, and that led to a chaos in last 6 questions
So that nightmare explains y I got a V38 and not a V40+ that I got in last two official mocks
Well, it's not an excuse, it's a fact, all the more reason that I'm pissed at myself

Quantitative
The quant section was no cookie either. They started with easy questions, 10 questions were easy as anything, for me atleast, given the background. But in the mid segment there was a linear equations question that wasted 7 mins, yes, I was dumb enough to go for it, it was a getable question afterall. I had to rush through last three questions, not just rush, I had to skip two, when I solved the third, I ended up marking the wrong one coz the timer was running out.
Got a Q48. Yes, I'm not very happy to hear that either

IR Section
2 MSR questions as expected, luckily both from an area of my preference, Marketing and Movie making, one from table analysis, one from GI, and two part each. I didn't expect much from IR, as I didn't prepare for it much, so I'm happy with an IR5

AWA
Unlike the AWA last time that was sweet an simple. This was as long as well something
Took me a long time to figure out what to write and write the first para, the explanatory one.
So I had to cut short some of the stuff that I had to write, I hope I get a 5 at least.

After the exam the administrator came in and saw the score, and I could tell, he was happy to see the 7 in front of my score. It feels good when people are happy for you, trust me I don't get that a lot, so I like to find it in all the small things.

I was not very thrilled as I wanted to get a lil more. But I'm glad it wasn't worse.
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: My Second GMAT Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 11:14
Congratulations on your success but after reading everything, I didn't see the score. No score?

Posted from my mobile device
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 11:19
Sammysat wrote:
Congratulations on your success but after reading everything, I didn't see the score. No score?

Posted from my mobile device

I actually did.
It was mentioned in form of scaled score. People know how to convert it.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 15:31
are you considering taking again? The score could be tough at the majority of those schools unless you're from an advantageous demographic / work background.

What was your logic with choosing verbal first?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 21:21
Hi Businessconquerer,

First off, breaking into the 700s is an OUTSTANDING achievement! That's a nice improvement over your prior Score too (especially considering the relatively short period of time between your attempts). I believe that we discussed how a larger improvement would likely take more time, but now that you're in the 700s, you're in an even better position to move forward with your application plans.

From our prior discussions, I know that you are interested in some highly-competitive Schools - and I'm pretty sure that you know that beyond having a strong GMAT Score (which you have!), you need a strong OVERALL profile AND you need to properly 'market yourself' to each individual Program that you apply to. This is meant to say that you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Congratulations on all of your success so far!

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Aug 2019, 10:52
youngburtcooper wrote:
are you considering taking again? The score could be tough at the majority of those schools unless you're from an advantageous demographic / work background.

What was your logic with choosing verbal first?

No I wouldn't consider retaking GMAT
Apparently I'm from Asia pool, India and China are both extremely good in terms of education, especially in Math.
A lot of people score either in 700's or just below 650.
I'll be struggling to prove myself as a participant, a leader, a person with great influence, and a man who can form networks.

That said I come to your second question, Why Verbal

The thing is verbal needs a clear head, a state of mind that is not exhausted, corrupted by fear or ideas on how thing will go if I don't get the questions right.
Quant as I mentioned above is strength of most people here, at least the ones who have trained for IIT JEE exam before college.
I was certain to get a Q50 or Q49 even if I take quant last, I was very comfortable with it.
We're trained to sit for 4 hours at a stretch in the college to practice difficult physics questions and maths. Good news is that that built my stamina and made me confident about quant.

And I did get Q50-49 V43-41 in the last two tests I gave.

So I was certain that I'd get a 720+ but I didn't, things change on test day.

Originally posted by Businessconquerer on 07 Aug 2019, 08:54.
Last edited by Businessconquerer on 07 Aug 2019, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 08:59
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Businessconquerer,

First off, breaking into the 700s is an OUTSTANDING achievement! That's a nice improvement over your prior Score too (especially considering the relatively short period of time between your attempts). I believe that we discussed how a larger improvement would likely take more time, but now that you're in the 700s, you're in an even better position to move forward with your application plans.

From our prior discussions, I know that you are interested in some highly-competitive Schools - and I'm pretty sure that you know that beyond having a strong GMAT Score (which you have!), you need a strong OVERALL profile AND you need to properly 'market yourself' to each individual Program that you apply to. This is meant to say that you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Congratulations on all of your success so far!

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

Thank you Mr. Cohen. I appreciate your help, the Empowergmat is a powerful tool. I truly wish I had access to it before I took Manhattan course at the beginning of my prep.

I've been trying to make my list of schools in the following way
4 Long shots
2 Chance
1 sure shot

I do not know what these schools are looking for. But the only reason I took the retake is Harvard, they said they won't care about the score if it has a 7 in front of it, well now it does, so I need to market myself properly
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 08:40
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Very solid score. What is your plan from here?

Currently everything seems to be on hold. I do not earn enough and my father has been clear cut that he's not on board with this. So, right now I'm just applying to different companies to have a short term plan with them, so that they can get help from my general human understanding and I can make some money to apply to the universities
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 18:41
Businessconquerer wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Very solid score. What is your plan from here?

Currently everything seems to be on hold. I do not earn enough and my father has been clear cut that he's not on board with this. So, right now I'm just applying to different companies to have a short term plan with them, so that they can get help from my general human understanding and I can make some money to apply to the universities

Gotcha. Good luck with things moving forward.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Second GMAT Experience   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2019, 18:41

My Second GMAT Experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics