It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 07:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My story and estimate my chances

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
My story and estimate my chances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2014, 07:23
Hi, guys!

I woud like to hear from you guys it is possible for me with such background and professional experience to get into one of the top MBA school.

A couple of words about myself: I 'm 25 years old, live in Russia, Moscow; have BS in Economics. I finished my professional soccer career 3 years ago because of some hronic injuries. After that I decided to stay in such a profeessional area and was accepted into some MS Sports Management Programs (UK and Spain; IELTS result was 6.5), but I didn't go to study because I didn't receive scholarship. After that I changed my priorities and started working as a Project Manager (health and recreational management; training center (invite international business speakers to Russia); planning and organization of large business events). Today I work in a World Trade Center, Moscow. Besides that I have little experience in entrepreneurship (small catering company that provides food and service on sports events).

Today, I feel that I would like to move forward and apply at MBA Program in USA (concentration in Finance). However, I'm not confident that my profile is good for MBA schools and have any chances to be accepted at top MBA school (I don't know my GPA but finished one of the top Russian universities with grades - good and perfect; my previous TOEFL result was 93) because I see most successful applicants are from IT, consulting, or banking (investment banking sphere) and work in top 5-10 companies of their nations.

I hope you can give me great advice!

P.S. In summer I started my preparation for GMAT and registered for E-gmat.com but I gave up (I think the course is well-constucted but my fluency of reading is not good, and I don't clearly understand the accent of E-gmat instructors). As the result, today I lost my inspiration (I know it's not good) and only read The Economist and make some TOEFL exercises in order to suport my current English level.

Kind regards,
Nikolay

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 2

GRE 1: 322 Q163 V159
GPA: 3.67
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
My story and estimate my chances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2014, 01:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hello

On the contrary applicants from IT fields face more competition than any other field. Consulting follows closely. Whereas your background is quite unique and i am sure that you will have many interesting stories to tell in your essays. This will distinguish you from other applicants and improve your chances. Experience in entrepreneurship is also valuable, it shows that you have what it takes to succeed in business management. What other leadership experiences do you have. also tell me about your achievements.

Since your post MBA goals involve finance, i suggest you start preparing yourself in that direction. Get to know more about the field. If you did not have a lot of quant related coursework in under graduation, you can strengthen you profile with certifications.

Your GPA appears to be good. Find the equivalent GPA on a 4 point scale. For top US B schools you will need a high GMAT score with a higher score on quant (49+). So I would advise you to stop worrying about TOEFL for now and start focusing on acing the GMAT. I would suggest you to join coaching in your hometown from people who can guide you better with a more understandable accent.

You can take a look at this article to know more about the top schools in finance http://www.interviewbay.com/blog/top-mb ... in-finance

All the best

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Check out our free e-book on how to get into a top business school http://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to- ... -ebook.php

http://www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School

All the Best
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

Check out our free e-book How To Get Into A Top Business School here http://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to-get-into-a-top-business-school-ebook.php

Check out our new free e-book Top Business Schools For Different Concentrations here http://www.interviewbay.com/ebooks.php

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 2

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Re: My story and estimate my chances [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2014, 10:45
interviewbay22, thank you for your reply!

Yes, I think some stories are quite unique)) Other leadership experience and experience that hopefully could be interesting for admission committee are following:

University: class reprepsentative; National Research Nuclear University MEPhI scholarship;

Volunteer:

Program for children with cerebral palsy in Moscow scientific-practical institute in collaboration with “András Pető Institute of Conductive Education” for 1 month (2010 - 2013 year);

Professional sport:

Leader of professional soccer team (2 years)

Entrepreneurship:

Development of the company - signed contrat with one of the biggest stadiums in Russia; provided catering service on professional soccer events (Russian Premier League; Qualification Round World Cup 2014)

Professional:

Worked in Hungary (0,5 year) - Manager of education and wellness projects for youth;

Development of Speakers Nights Project (organization of open lectures with successful world businessmen such as Brian Tracy, Guy Kawasaki, John Donahoe);

I don't know it would be interesting or not for admission committee.

Speaking about finance: I had many math, statistic, and econometric courses at university. By the way I controlled finance in all projects I was involved (price of the product; discount policy; cost-benefit analysis). I know it's rather different from skills that are required for work in financial organizations. In addition, I also understand that I should get a high quant GMAT score.

By the way I attend Project Management courses in order to get PMP certificate.

Shortly, it's all about my experience.

Kind regards,
Nikolay

Re: My story and estimate my chances   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2014, 10:45