Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
chet719 wrote:
GMAT

I am not a student at Marriott. However, I have lived in Utah my whole life and have had several friends attend school there (undergrade, law school, etc). I would have applied there, but I got admitted to a school I am happy with so I didn't bother.

By the way, congrats on the UW admit. My brother in law graduated from Seattle University school of law, and he said he was always a little jealous of the UW folks.

Hey thanks a lot Chet. Actually, I grew up in Grand Junction, just on the other side of the Utah/Colorado state line so I know the region pretty well (obviously not as well as you do, though). Lake Powell was our summer wakeboarding playground. Many classmates from FMHS and GJHS went off to BYU for their undergrad.

Which b-school are you planning to attend?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
[#permalink]
Thanks Guys,
I decided to enroll in Marriott MBA.

2chet719,
Do you know anything about placement statistics for BYU MBA graduates
(for intr-l non-mormon students)? I would love to work in that region. The field is corporate finance. However, since i'm an intr-l student, I dont have any connections in US. As GMATT73 already told, one of the main weakneses of the school is its location. Does this factor really makes it difficult to find a job?

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dilshod wrote:
Thanks Guys,

2chet719,
(for intr-l non-mormon students)? I would love to work in that region. The field is corporate finance. However, since i'm an intr-l student, I dont have any connections in US. As GMATT73 already told, one of the main weakneses of the school is its location. Does this factor really makes it difficult to find a job?

Thanks

Not to cut in on Chet, but Dilshod the Provo-SLC surroundings are growing FAST. I think the SLC metropolitan region, plus Ogden and Provo now has a sustainable population of about two million people. Many BYU finance grads were accepting descent offers from Zion Bank, which is also based out of the region.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
Dilshod wrote:
Thanks Guys,

2chet719,

Thanks

Not to cut in on Chet, but Dilshod the Provo-SLC surroundings are growing FAST. I think the SLC metropolitan region, plus Ogden and Provo now has a sustainable population of about two million people. Many BYU finance grads were accepting descent offers from Zion Bank, which is also based out of the region.

thanks man.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMAT,

I know Grand Junction well. I actually spent a lot of time there as a kid. My father lives there, and I would usually spend at least a month every summer in GJ. Anyway, I applied at Cornell Columbia and Wharton and was accepted at Cornell and Columbia (still on waitlist at Wharton).

Dilshod,

I wouldn't worry about career opportunities coming out of Marriott, especially in Corp Fin. I don't have specific statistics, but I do know that Marriott is arguably the strongest program in the region (Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico). You have a couple of really good schools like Arizona State and University of Arizona, but in my opinion Marriott is every bit as strong as those schools.

Students I know that graduated from Marriott had solid job prospects after graduation. I think if you are looking to go into Corp Fin, you will be well on your way to landing a very good job at a very good company. Also, I think one of Marriotts greatest strengths is its alumni network. If you build the right relationships and demonstrate to them and your professors that you are talented, you will be taken care of. For example, I know someone who was an english major in undergrad at BYU who built the right relationships with her professors, and she got hired at Bain after she graduated. Granted this example is of an undergrad, but it shows how her professors really cared about her future. It will be the same for you.

Having said all of this, BYU's culture is a bit different from most schools. They do have a strict honor code, and everyone is expected to follow it (you probably recognized this through the application). I wouldn't say it is a bad honor code, just different. I actually think it is kind of refreshing. Most of your classmates will have families. Not just a wife, but most will have at least on child. The majority of the students and professors will be LDS. Again, not a bad thing (I am actually LDS myself), just different.

On another note, you should expect to have the time of your life, just like you would at another school. I've heard Marriott is a rigourous program, but you will grow leaps and bounds because of it. Also, BYU's Accounting department is one of the most highly regarded in the country, and this will be a huge benefit to you in seeking Corp Fin jobs.

Well, I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions. Again congrats. Like I said, I had a good feeling you would breakthrough this year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
Hi Chet,

Well, thats what I call a thorough reply. Appreciate that. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'd go with BYU. It's the cheapest MBA you can get, 98% career placement, after 3 weeks of school you'll be meeting with recruiters. For international students it also no problem (most of the recruiters will offer you work visa)
Because it's a school with high standards it will help you (recruiters like that).
Professors are always there to help you. There are a lot of scholarships available.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dilshod, how were you able to get around the AWA with BYU? I noticed you listed your score as "0" under your comprehensive admit/ding profile :?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
Dilshod, how were you able to get around the AWA with BYU? I noticed you listed your score as "0" under your comprehensive admit/ding profile :?

I'll be applying to BYU as well so I guess I can answer your question. BYU doesn't look at your AWA at all. Also they pay more attention to your quantitative score.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sergey_is_cool wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:

I'll be applying to BYU as well so I guess I can answer your question. BYU doesn't look at your AWA at all. Also they pay more attention to your quantitative score.

Really? I thought all AACSB accredited schools were required to consider the AWA during admissions?? Does this policy apply to all students, foreign and domestic?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah this policy applies to all domestic and international applicants. If you are a foreign student they will require you to take TOEFL. I know one of their requiters and he told me that they don't really care about essays either. The work experience and the GMAT score are very crucial. So if you have 3 1/2 years of work experience and 700 GMAT there is a good chance that you are in. If you have time to come and visit the campus, I'd highly recommend to do so. I'll love it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
Hi Sergey,

Where are you?

2 GMATT73
Yes, it is written on BYU official site that AWA portion of the GMAT is not considered during admission process
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dilshod wrote:
Hi Sergey,

Where are you?

2 GMATT73
Yes, it is written on BYU official site that AWA portion of the GMAT is not considered during admission process

I am in Rexburg, Idaho.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Full Time MBA
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V23
GPA: 3.89
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
Dilshod wrote:
Thanks Guys,

2chet719,

Thanks

Hi Dilshod,

So did you study at BYU? How did you like it there? I am an international student too. I am considering BYU too as I will be moving there.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: [#permalink]
   1   2