GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Nearly unrivaled in their biological diversity, coral reefs provide

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

e-GMAT Representative
G
Nearly unrivaled in their biological diversity, coral reefs provide  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 03:18
rtlko wrote:
Hello experts ,

Also could you please explain the error in option C?

Hello rtlko,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt. Here is the explanation nonetheless. :-)

Per the original sentence, the benefits include three items:
    the supply of protein for people,
    protecting shorelines, and
    they contain biochemical sources for new life-saving medicines

Although the above-mentioned list is not grammatical, it does convey the intended elements meat to be parallel.

However, per choice C, there is no list of benefits. This choice presents the first benefit that is followed by the second intended benefit just as an additional point.

The third intended benefit actually appears as a separate information about the the coral reefs altogether. It does not appear to be the part of the list of benefits. This structure leads to chnage in meaning error in Choice C.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests
Re: Nearly unrivaled in their biological diversity, coral reefs provide  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 08:16
Abhishek009 wrote:
arpitgarg wrote:
Another thing we have here is "a host of benefits that include/includes".
I think a host of issues will be plural. So we should have "host of benefits that include".
Just like "The are a host of issues".

Am i correct?

IMHO thats a good observation and undoubtedly correct...

Hi Abhishek,
How do u explain the absence of a conjunctions of FANBOYS in option B.
they supply people with protein, they protect the shorelines, and they ......
e-GMAT Representative
G
Nearly unrivaled in their biological diversity, coral reefs provide  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 10:44
sunny91 wrote:
Hi Abhishek,
How do u explain the absence of a conjunctions of FANBOYS in option B.
they supply people with protein, they protect the shorelines, and they ......

Hello sunny91,

I have already explained the reason for missing conjunction before FANBOYS in the correct answer choice B.

Following is the explanation:

Quote:
Hello srinivasosuri and rtlko,

Since both of you ask the same question, here is my response for both of you in the same post.

It is true that we go by the rule that independent clauses must be connected by specific conjunctions to keep the structure of the sentence grammatical.

However, this sentence is certainly the exception to this rule. And this is what I feel is the beauty of official questions. There is always something new to learn from these sentences. :-)

In answer Choice B, the three independent clauses have been used as parallel elements in the list. If we follow the strict connection rules for these independent clauses, the structure will certainly violate the structure followed to present the parallel list. This is the reason why all the first two independent clauses are connected by a comma as any other elements would be connected, and the last element is preceded by comma + and, the typical connector to join more than two parallel elements in the list.

Once again, the correct answer choice of this official sentence drives the fact home that no answer choice should be rejected or accepted solely on the basis of the usage of punctuation mark.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Re: Nearly unrivaled in their biological diversity, coral reefs provide  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2018, 22:11
Vyshak wrote:
This question is very easy to answer if the non underlined part is read carefully.

A. coral reefs provide a host of benefits that includes the supply of protein for people, protecting shorelines, - Incorrect - Parallelism error + Singular form 'includes' is used instead of 'include'

B. coral reefs provide a host of benefits: they supply people with protein, they protect the shorelines, - Correct

C. coral reefs provide a host of benefits that include supplying protein for people, as well as shoreline protection, - Incorrect - Parallelism error

D. a coral reef provides a host of benefits; they supply protein for people, the protecting of shorelines, - Incorrect - Same error as C

E. a coral reef provides a host of benefits, including protein for people, protecting shorelines, - Incorrect - Same error as D

Answer: B

option A:a host of benifits that...
here THAT refers to the head of noun phrase which is singular and thus the use of singular verb "includes" is correct

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2018, 08:55
B. coral reefs provide a host of benefits: they supply people with protein, they protect the shorelines,

Is using WITH right here? It doesn't change the intended meaning?
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 10:43
egmat wrote:
srinivasosuri wrote:
Hi there !

While I agree that option 2 is the best available option, isn't it flawed as well ?

"..:they supply people with protein, they protect the shorelines, and they contain biochemical sources.." Here shouldn't each independent clause be connected by a comma + conjunction (rather than just a comma) to be grammatically correct ?

For me the below is more appropriate - " :they supply people with protein and protect the shorelines, and they contain biochemical sources.."

Thank you for your time!

Hello srinivasosuri and rtlko,

Since both of you ask the same question, here is my response for both of you in the same post.

It is true that we go by the rule that independent clauses must be connected by specific conjunctions to keep the structure of the sentence grammatical.

However, this sentence is certainly the exception to this rule. And this is what I feel is the beauty of official questions. There is always something new to learn from these sentences. :-)

In answer Choice B, the three independent clauses have been used as parallel elements in the list. If we follow the strict connection rules for these independent clauses, the structure will certainly violate the structure followed to present the parallel list. This is the reason why all the first two independent clauses are connected by a comma as any other elements would be connected, and the last element is preceded by comma + and, the typical connector to join more than two parallel elements in the list.

Once again, the correct answer choice of this official sentence drives the fact home that no answer choice should be rejected or accepted solely on the basis of the usage of punctuation mark.

Thanks.
Shraddha

hello @e-gmat
a host of benefits that includes: is it correct?
i think A HOST OF BENEFITS is singular.just want to confirm.
Re: Nearly unrivaled in their biological diversity, coral reefs provide &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jul 2018, 10:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Nearly unrivaled in their biological diversity, coral reefs provide

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap