GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 04:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

Need a study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Need a study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 02:34
I need a good study plan for GMAT. Can anybody share a sample study plan, or a link to a good one. I need to give the exam in April (not yet decided which date in the month).

Specifications:
Can take out only 2-3 hours on weekdays, 5-6 hours on weekends (demanding job)

Resources I have:
- Official guides + verbal & quant review 2019 books
- Access to video lectures (work at a company which gives coaching for GMAT)
- Princeton review premium 2019 book
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.38
Re: Need a study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 05:26
rohitvidwan wrote:
I need a good study plan for GMAT. Can anybody share a sample study plan, or a link to a good one. I need to give the exam in April (not yet decided which date in the month).

Specifications:

Resources I have:

heyy ,
I am happy to help you!

so you have the basic material what is needed to jump start :)

Take first few days to get acquainted with GMAT pattern. know everything in detail.

2-3 hrs a day is good amount of time to invest in studies. start with sc . try to read Manhattan sc guide to get familiar with the concepts tested. for cr go through powerscore bible it works like magic to strengthen the concepts. For quant you can start practicing OG questions and get to know your current level of quant.

kudos are appreciated :tongue_opt2
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 05:31
Thanks for the inputs :)

I was asking more on the basis of the approach.

Do I go topic by topic - studying 1 topic and then solve questions. Or study all of quant, then solve mixed questions?

And how much time should I take to cover Quant, how much time to cover Verbal - stuff like that.

Any study tips - techniques, hacks etc

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 06:10
rohitvidwan wrote:
Thanks for the inputs :)

I was asking more on the basis of the approach.

Do I go topic by topic - studying 1 topic and then solve questions. Or study all of quant, then solve mixed questions?

And how much time should I take to cover Quant, how much time to cover Verbal - stuff like that.

Any study tips - techniques, hacks etc

Hi rohitvidwan.

Here are some of the basics.

Since you would be best off having a clear sense of where you stand and how much work you will have to do in order to hit your score goal and of what the GMAT is like, your best first moves are to review some of the GMAT math basics, familiarize yourself with and answer some quant and verbal questions, especially to get a sense of how to answer Data Sufficiency questions, and then take one of the official practice tests available at mba.com. https://www.mba.com/exam-prep/gmat-offi ... and-2-free

Once you have done so, you will be in a better position to plan your prep.

If you have a score goal, you should also get a sense of what section scores you would need in order to hit your score goal. For instance, if you want to score above 700, being aware that you could score 710 by scoring 45 in quant and 42 in verbal would give you a sense of what you would have to accomplish to hit your score goal. You could also hit your score goal with a higher quant score and lower verbal score, or vice versa. The point is to set yourself up for success by giving yourself something to shoot for.

Regarding generally how to prepare for the GMAT, your question about whether to work in mixed sets or topic by topic is a good one. The answer is that the best way to prepare for the GMAT is to work topic by topic. By doing so, you learn all the aspects of how to answer each type of question, and learn to answer questions of that type correctly before moving onto the next type. This approach works much better than a more mixed approach, as by focusing on one type you give yourself the opportunity to see all kinds of things involved with answering that type of question, things you would be less likely to see if you weren't focusing on that one type.

Working topic by topic works for both quant and verbal.

Another key thing that anyone preparing for the GMAT should understand is that speed comes with skill, and getting incorrect answers quickly teaches you little. So, it does not make sense to do your practice timed. Just answer practice questions as quickly as you can, and if it takes ten minutes to get a correct answer, it takes ten minutes. Your job is to get correct answers, and if you need ten minutes to do your job, then you need ten minutes. Your goal would then be to learn to do your job more quickly.

Regarding verbal specifically, people often do not realize that verbal is largely a test of how sophisticated a test-taker's thinking is. So, they train for verbal by learning a bunch of gimmicky strategies and wonder why their verbal scores are not particularly high. Don't make this mistake. Here's your move for training for verbal.

To train for GMAT verbal, work topic by topic in the following way. Learn the foundations of the topic, for instance, Weaken questions. Then, answer questions of that type and learn to CLEARLY and THOROUGHLY define why EVERY wrong answer is wrong and EVERY right answer is right. When I say "thoroughly," I mean go well beyond using gimmicky reasons like "irrelevant," "too extreme," or "awkward." You need to come up with well developed, logical reasons for eliminating or choosing choices.

For example, in answering a Weaken question, you would not simply call an answer choice "irrelevant." You would carefully analyze the relationship between the answer choice and the passage and come up with a more complete reason for eliminating it, such as, "This choice weakens the wrong conclusion," or "This choice does not attack the relationship between the premises and the conclusion, but rather seems to attack but does not successfully attack one of the premises."

It may take 20 minutes, or more, per question to analyze them in this way at first, but being skilled in this type of analysis is the only way to score high in verbal. Less sophisticated analysis gets people lower scores. So, you need to practice analyzing questions in this way and take your time, seeking to speed up by developing skill.

Also, practice being careful enough to get almost all verbal questions right. See how many you can get right in a row.

Regarding how much time to spend on quant and verbal, the answer to that question depends on your score goal and where you stand at this point. I can say that, for most people, working on both is the way to go. You can work on quant for a couple days and verbal for a couple days, quant in the morning and verbal in the evening, or alternate between quant and verbal from one day to the next, whichever works best for you, and make progress on both at the same time.

For some more ideas, you could read this post, which contains ideas that you can use regardless of your score goal. https://blog.targettestprep.com/how-to- ... 0-on-gmat/

Be sure to come back if you have more questions after you take that first practice test, and enjoy the game!

Marty Murray
Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 06:11
rohitvidwan wrote:

Specifications:

Resources I have:

Hi rohitvidwan,

You can refer to the following posts. I am sure you will find them very helpful.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... beginners/

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... h-focused/

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... l-focused/

Hope this helps. All the best!

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 07:37
Hey rohitvidwan

Since your text is two months away, I recommend this study plan:

https://exampal.com/gmat/blog/prepare-gmat-60-days/

take a look, tell me if you have any questions!

Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 07:43
rohitvidwan wrote:

Specifications:

Resources I have:

Hello

You can start with Quant or Verbal which suits you. If you have started with Quant then Start with the Arithmetic but if started with verbal then start first with Sentence correction. One month for learning Quant concepts and one month for practicing question and same practice for Verbal. During you Practicing question don't forget to make an error log to track your weak areas after practice. Once you know your weak areas revise your Concepts related to those areas and do some more Practice. 6-8 CATs are enough for practice the real tests. Make your Stamina for sitting 3 hours in the test and don't study more than 2 hours in one sit and 4 hours per day

Top CATs for Practice

1. Official GMAC CATs
2. Manhattan CATs
3. Kaplan CATs
4. GMAT Club Quant CATs

New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 00:31
rohitvidwan wrote:

Specifications:

Resources I have:

Hey,

Quick tips that helped me when I was in a similar situation:

1. Fix a date (make sure you keep some buffer time just in case things go wrong and you need a 2nd attempt)
2. Give a mock to gauge your current level, maybe you are already good in quant and need less time to brush it up but your verbal needs more time.
3. I thought I was good in verbal but after my 1st mock realized I wasn't. I struggled a lot with verbal, egmat helped me tremendously. It has inbuilt study plans and paying that money in worth it.
4. Quant is something you can practice online from free content since there are notmuch techniques imo. And there is a lot of free content on net.
4. With a full time job it's very easy to give up, stick motivational content above your study area that will help you to stay focused.
5. Most importantly after 1 week of study, you would get to know how things are, then form a study plan by yourself. You know yourself and your time commitments best.

All the best!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need a study plan   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2019, 00:31

Need a study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap