It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice...

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Need advice... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 23:21
I know it's quite strange to ask this given that i'm admitted to a good MBA program. But I hope to have some advices from u guys 'though here ppl seem to discuss only on top schools :)

Probably my strategy was not so suitable at the beginning. I applied to those mid-range schools and only 1 top 10 in R1. Then R2 i'm going to apply a few more top schools... I got admitted to Carey ASU with GA & small scholarship. Interviewed with Kelley Indiana and Smith. So now i need to pay a deposit to secure the seat in Carey in the next 4 weeks, while still waiting for results from other school (not released at the time that i need to confirm). Should I just pay and then wait for better offer then reject? Just wondering whether it is common to do this :? ... argh quite a sum of money also :roll:

Another thing that I wanna ask is what do u think abt Carey vs Smith (Kelley is on the upper rank compared to them)? I'm an international student not in US so a lot of things I don't have good info. Carey on the ranking is much better then Smith, but the location is too off. Smith seems to have good faculty in the specialization (?) and location, but their ranking is a big question mark to me. Just pray hard to get a call from a higher rank school, but in the case that I can't get, then it is going to be a headache.

I want to go into Strategy and MC, what is the chance to get a job if i graduate fr a mid-range schools? Considering all the fees that I need to invest for 2 yrs, i really need to be sure b4 going there.

Many thanks for reading my story!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Posts: 585

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 34

Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Re: Need advice... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 00:55
How important is it to you to enroll in an MBA program next fall? If you felt like you underestimated the strength of your profile, you can always wait 8 months and reapply to higher ranked schools in R1 2009. If not, then just pay the deposit at your favorite admit and apply to higher ranked schools in R2. If you get in and decide you'd rather go there, just eat the deposit and be on your way. In the grand scheme of things, 1000-2000 bucks is pretty insignificant.

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 34

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 354

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Location: Texas
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Re: Need advice... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 01:06
You should just put down the deposit or ask them for an extension. Most schools (in that tier) would oblige. Smith in my opinion is a better program than Carey. Although the advantage for Carey is the fact there are no major MBA programs in that region. So, its easier getting jobs in that region if u r from Carey. Samething cannot be said abt Smith. If i were u, i would pay the deposit and wait for the r2 schools and make a final decision at a later point in time.

Jobs in MC are going to be tough from any school outside the top 10-15. But its possible. u ll have to work extra hard to get there.

NotLookBack wrote:
I know it's quite strange to ask this given that i'm admitted to a good MBA program. But I hope to have some advices from u guys 'though here ppl seem to discuss only on top schools :)

Probably my strategy was not so suitable at the beginning. I applied to those mid-range schools and only 1 top 10 in R1. Then R2 i'm going to apply a few more top schools... I got admitted to Carey ASU with GA & small scholarship. Interviewed with Kelley Indiana and Smith. So now i need to pay a deposit to secure the seat in Carey in the next 4 weeks, while still waiting for results from other school (not released at the time that i need to confirm). Should I just pay and then wait for better offer then reject? Just wondering whether it is common to do this :? ... argh quite a sum of money also :roll:

Another thing that I wanna ask is what do u think abt Carey vs Smith (Kelley is on the upper rank compared to them)? I'm an international student not in US so a lot of things I don't have good info. Carey on the ranking is much better then Smith, but the location is too off. Smith seems to have good faculty in the specialization (?) and location, but their ranking is a big question mark to me. Just pray hard to get a call from a higher rank school, but in the case that I can't get, then it is going to be a headache.

I want to go into Strategy and MC, what is the chance to get a job if i graduate fr a mid-range schools? Considering all the fees that I need to invest for 2 yrs, i really need to be sure b4 going there.

Many thanks for reading my story!

_________________

Traffic never sleeps...

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Need advice... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 01:58
thanks for sharing...yah i think i will go for that way and hope for better choices :)

YihWei, i am a career switcher and currently in the position that is purely technical (IT). Just feel that the more I stay the less energy I will have since I have decided to switch. On the other hand, I dun think i could improve much on the skills/technical profile in 1 year. Thinking about re-applying to higher rank schools if i can't get any this year, but worrying for asking recommendation again. Can't imagine how my recommenders would say :shock:

traffix, just wanna ask u i can't understand why Smith ranking is so low, u have any info to share?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Posts: 105

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Need advice... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 10:31
I actually disagree that Smith is a better program than Carey. I think as MBA programs go, it is pretty much a wash, but I would give Carey the edge. In terms of overall school reputation, Maryland probably has an edge over ASU though. Either way, I think that even though both are fairly regional programs, both must graduate students into MC, so it is definitely possible. It is true that you would have to put in more legwork and actively network to get a good internship and job offer post-graduation. The most important factor you should consider when choosing between these schools is the area in which you want to work. It is my understanding that ASU grads mostly work in Arizona and Southern California, so if you want to work on the west coast, ASU becomes a far better choice than Smith. Conversely, if you want to work on the east coast, Smith is a better option. I don't think that the relative rankings of those schools should sway your decision at all. Just my $0.02.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Need advice... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2008, 09:36
atlmba2009, thanks for the advice. now i got 2 suggestions :), need to see the location and specialization rankings again

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Need advice...   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2008, 09:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Need advice...

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.