Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Need advice on CR preparation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kktrehan wrote:
Hi All

I am planning to give my GMAT in august .For my exam I have almost read all the necessary books available on the forum MGMAT 5th edition all books and power bible for CR. I have done 0G 13 Quant and Quant Review PS .Now slowly I am moving to Verbal and DS.
As I am an Engineer my Quant is strong and feel confident also when I do the PS questions. But from last 2 weeks I am focusing on CR I read all the basic type of question and how to do them . I did 0G13 CR section and I was able to answer 50-60 % of my question correctly. I analyzed my mistakes on wrong answer and checked where I was lagging .Now for referring more question I have taken GMAT Prep CR question but suddenly I found that if I solve 10 question at a time I am able to answer 2 question correctly .My confident has suddenly got dropped and I sometime feel lazy also now to solve the CR question.

I know the basics of CR but don't know where I am lagging please advice if any plan I can follow for Verbal preparation.

Solving questions with no time constraint is very different from solving questions under severe time constraint. I am guessing that when you solved questions from OG, you did not take time into consideration and in GMAT Prep, all you get is 2 mins for each. I suggest you to practice 10 questions at a time with a time limit of 25-30 mins to begin with. Slowly push back the time to 20 mins. If your concepts are clear, practice under time pressure will help you perform well in the practice tests.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
kktrehan wrote:
Hi All

I am planning to give my GMAT in august .For my exam I have almost read all the necessary books available on the forum MGMAT 5th edition all books and power bible for CR. I have done 0G 13 Quant and Quant Review PS .Now slowly I am moving to Verbal and DS.
As I am an Engineer my Quant is strong and feel confident also when I do the PS questions. But from last 2 weeks I am focusing on CR I read all the basic type of question and how to do them . I did 0G13 CR section and I was able to answer 50-60 % of my question correctly. I analyzed my mistakes on wrong answer and checked where I was lagging .Now for referring more question I have taken GMAT Prep CR question but suddenly I found that if I solve 10 question at a time I am able to answer 2 question correctly .My confident has suddenly got dropped and I sometime feel lazy also now to solve the CR question.

I know the basics of CR but don't know where I am lagging please advice if any plan I can follow for Verbal preparation.

Hi kktrehan,

When you review the answers to the questions you missed, does the question make more sense or is it still confusing?

Be sure that you use a consistent approach with CR questions. When you read, see the structure of the information. It's always conclusion and premise. Identify those, read the question and predict an answer before scanning the answer choices. Scan the answer choices with the typical question traps in mind (mainly statements that are out of scope) so that you can eliminate answers easily.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Cassandra

Thanks for the reply .Yes your are correct.When I am reviewing my Incorrect answers the answers make sense to me.But there are questions for which I am not able to think correctly that this is the premise or conclusion .Secondly When I am trying to follow a approach where I first decide which one is premise and which one is conclusion sentence by sentence . I am taking a lot of time somtimes 5 mins for each question .I cant say that I am 100% sure that which sentence would be which building block.

Can you suggest me any approach which I an follow to save time and increase my accuracy.

Regards
KT
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Karishma

Thanks for the reply I will follow your technique and will share my results with you.

Regards
KT
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
kktrehan wrote:
Hi Cassandra

Thanks for the reply .Yes your are correct.When I am reviewing my Incorrect answers the answers make sense to me.But there are questions for which I am not able to think correctly that this is the premise or conclusion .Secondly When I am trying to follow a approach where I first decide which one is premise and which one is conclusion sentence by sentence . I am taking a lot of time somtimes 5 mins for each question .I cant say that I am 100% sure that which sentence would be which building block.

Can you suggest me any approach which I an follow to save time and increase my accuracy.

Regards
KT

Hi KT,

The conclusion is the claim that is being made (X causes Y, Town X is more dangerous than town Y, If we do X, Y will happen, X happened because...). The premise is the evidence for that claim (percentages or explanation of background events). So the conclusion is the "what" and the premise is the "why." Here's a nice article that goes over your question in more detail and provides you with some language cues to help you identify the premise and conclusion. I hope it helps!

https://gmat.economist.com/blog/integra ... clueless-0
GMAT Club Bot