GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 17 Jan 2020, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need advice on school and career path

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Need advice on school and career path  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 22:06
So a little bit about myself first. I recently chose to go back to school and I have decided to get an MBA. I chose the MBA path for several reasons, #1 mainly being career options potential with a large salary. I have not taken the GMAT yet (will be taking it next month so I can fit in around 50+ hours of studying). I am shooting for a 700. My situation is I am locked into my current location (I live near Fort Hood, TX) due to my wife being a full time student here. So my options are pretty much limited to online schools. I have chosen to set my sights on Indiana University and University of North Carolina (UNC is my top choice). Arizona State University is my backup school. I'm a little over an hour away from University of Texas at Austin so going there is an option, but not one I would prefer (I don't really want to travel that far). My background is I was in the Army for 4 years as an Officer, I was an Armor Officer and reached the rank of Captain before I got out. So I have management skills and project lead skills but no civilian business experience. I would like to get into consulting and do that for a few years because the pay seems to be good and the travel and networking opportunities are there. But the family work balance seems to lean more towards work so ideally I would have an exit strategy after a few years so I could switch into a different path that would not result in less pay. I really want to stay in Austin after getting my MBA because I have family here and I love the area. So I am hoping maybe some people here could shed a little light on my choices and let me know if my plan is feasible. Also cost is not really a factor since I will be utilizing the post 9/11 bill.

TL:DR

Basically my ideal path is this...I want go to UNC online and get my MBA, along the way I want to get internships at a consulting agency in Austin (I see that Deloitte and Accenture both have offices there). After finishing my MBA I want a job at one of those or a comparable consulting agency in Austin. Ideally my salary after school will be around $110-130k/year. After 3-4 years I want to switch career paths to something that allows more time at home with the family without a pay cut.

Question 1. Is MBA@UNC (or Kelley Direct) or traditional at McCombs better in the long run for me? I need the benefit at McCombs (if there is one) to really outweigh the online option because the hour plus drive both ways is not ideal at all. Also I can start UNC in January (assuming I get it) while I would have to wait till after summer next year for McCombs because I can't have both my wife and me be unemployed, full time students, and taking care of our children.

Question 2. Does anyone know if a consulting internship exists in Austin at Deloitte or Accenture? Or at any reputable consulting firm? Do firms even take interns from online MBA students?

Question 3. Anyone know about Dell and their desire for MBAs? Their HQ is in Round Rock (right outside of Austin) and I see they offer internships for MBA students.

Any other advice or input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
INSEAD School Moderator
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Need advice on school and career path  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 03:01
I would speak with a recruiter that does a lot of recruitment for Dell and other companies in Austin. And I would also talk to the MBA recruiter at Dell. As well as the Consulting companies you mentioned.

I'm really not so sure about whether or not they hire people from online MBA programs, but they invest most of their recruitment in on-campus recruiting, so I do think that is potentially going to be a problem.

Is there any absolute urgency with you doing this now? I think you would really open up a lot of options and leverage this whole experience by doing this when you have some Geographic flexibility.

As odd as it might sound you might want to look into IE. They have a hybrid program and yes you would have to fly to Spain for the first couple weeks but after that you would be able to work online.

I don't really know your profile or what your odds are to get into different schools. But I would not invest in the MBA without really getting what you need from it.

Really encourage you to speak with recruiters and see if they take online MBA seriously.

And it would also benefit you to talk directly with UNC online, and get their employment statistics.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
Re: Need advice on school and career path   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2016, 03:01

Need advice on school and career path

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste