GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Need advise on how to improve quant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Booth '21, CBS '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GRE 1: Q164 V162
GPA: 3.85
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Need advise on how to improve quant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 21:15
Bunuel, bb, @EmpowerGmat, VeritasPrepKarishma

Folks,
Two week ago I gave GMAT PREP Exam and scored 610 (Q 46, V 27). After reviewing all mistakes and solving bunch of other problem along with learning concepts, I gave another mock test on gmat club and score Q42. Although I know gmat club tests are harder than the real GMAT but I am still devastated. Can you please help me analyze my score ? I am attaching screenshot of my performance. Thanks in advance
Attachments

gmatclub3.png
gmatclub3.png [ 126.59 KiB | Viewed 377 times ]

gmatclub2.png
gmatclub2.png [ 136.85 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]

gmat club1.png
gmat club1.png [ 59.93 KiB | Viewed 378 times ]

Math Expert
V
Re: Need advise on how to improve quant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 00:52
nigina93 wrote:
Bunuel, bb, @EmpowerGmat, VeritasPrepKarishma

Folks,
Two week ago I gave GMAT PREP Exam and scored 610 (Q 46, V 27). After reviewing all mistakes and solving bunch of other problem along with learning concepts, I gave another mock test on gmat club and score Q42. Although I know gmat club tests are harder than the real GMAT but I am still devastated. Can you please help me analyze my score ? I am attaching screenshot of my performance. Thanks in advance

Yes, GMAT Club Tests' are generally harder than those of GMAT Prep. Having said that 42 and 46 are not that apart. You might have underperformed on our tests for some reason and overperformed on GMAT prep for some reason.

As for your performance, I see that you mostly missed 700 level questions: 2 on algebra, 2 on coordinate geometry, 2 on distance/rare, 2 on arithmetic. Try practising those from our questions bank: https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags Then try taking couple more tests.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 17:25
Hi nigina93,

Taking an individual section of the GMAT - outside of the context of taking the FULL Exam under realistic and test-like conditions - isn't a realistic way to assess your current 'ability level' - so it would be far more useful to analyze your results from your practice CAT from 2 weeks ago. After taking each CAT, it's important to do a full review of your performance (with the goal of defining WHY you got questions wrong). While a full Mistake Tracker would provide more detail, there are some basic questions that you should look to answer after you take each CAT (and the more specific you can be with your answers, the better).

After reviewing each section of this CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) In the Verbal section, how many questions did you "narrow down to 2 choices" but still get wrong?

Beyond those questions, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 07:32
So, the good news is that a quant 46 on an official practice GMAT is a great start! Thus, I don’t want you to start panicking about seeing your quant score decrease on the subsequent GMAT Club test. Rather, stay positive and focus on taking the necessary steps to find and fix your weaknesses. With some more dedicated prep, you probably can improve your GMAT quant score. Now, to increase your quant score to an advanced level, you probably need to study each topic "with a fine-toothed comb" to determine your exact weaknesses.

For example, if you are reviewing Number Properties, be sure that you practice 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. Once complete, do a thorough analysis of each incorrect question. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By properly analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to more efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant knowledge. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your quant score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, make some more areas stronger.

Accomplishing this end could take doing dozens of questions of one type, then dozens of the next, and so on. When you do dozens of the same type of question one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of the questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to at least around 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

So, work on accuracy and generally getting to correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently.

The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach it with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant materials. Thus, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the [url=https://gmatclub.com/reviews/highest-rated-gmat-courses/best-for-quant-4
]best quant courses[/url].

You may also find it helpful to read my article about [url=https://blog.targettestprep.com/improve-gmat-score/
]how to increase your GMAT quant score[/url].

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to me directly. I’m happy to help!

Let’s do this!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need advise on how to improve quant &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jul 2018, 07:32

Need advise on how to improve quant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap