Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I appreciate the fact that you worked while in college. Unfortunately, most schools simply do not recognize this experience or discount its value when compared with post undergraduate experience.

While I enjoy helping you greatly, I cannot tell you whether you should or should not apply to the ultraelite schools. This is a decision that only you can make- I can give you information and encouragement but ultimately the decision must rest with you.

Regarding the list, my gut reaction is that USC would be the least interested in younger candidates per se.

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am also wondering...since you've mentioned that most schools looked at post-grad work experience, would work experience count if you are working during your graduate studies? Would that still be considered as post-grad work experience since it is after the undergraduate studies?

By the way, what do you think of University of Arizona, Pepperdine, or Fordham? I havent' heard much about those. I've already read the posting on the site regarding those, but haven't heard any insights on the programs, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Was browsing and noticed your post.
Dont know if u had a look at the blog, see some excerpts of what the Whartons guys said about younger candidate/ with low work ex.

Apply where you think you have a shot, just remember (as hjort will tell u also) the ultra elite are ultra flexible about your work ex.

I have spoken to people from Ad Comms and students in H/S/W
What the big thing they wanna see (or wht i think they wanna see) is someone who may not have a whole lot of work ex AFTER undergrad, but while in undergrad had a solid background, made big moves (or tried to) and within the time he/she has been working full time is still pushing the envelop.

So they ARE still looking for a lot of experience but in a variety of formats, not just full time job stuff after your college degree.
Essays are critical ofcourse, and so are your reco's. One thing i feel people neglect is Refferals.
Harvard asks for refferals for projects (extra curricular) that you have worked on after graduating, MAKE sure the image those people put across is the image you put across in your essays.

But i am no guru on the matter, just a devout user of GOOGLE, and one more person trying to get in to these freakin schools!
R
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I generally agree with Rupstar.

To restate what has been said before:
If you are an outstanding candidate on every dimension except formal post-undergraduate work experience some of the ultraelites will consider you (and some of them will not give you serious consideration until you acquire more work experience).

Re: Pepperdine, Arizona, and Fordham- There has not been that much interest in these schools in the past. As you mentioned, I have created "seed" reviews but there has not been enough of demand to date to expand these reviews.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
What would be considered as an outstanding candidate in every dimension? Does it make me a less outstanding candidate if I am not abotu to obtain some letters of recommendation from previous employers?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
You would need to present compelling testimonials regarding you outstanding contribution in a work or "quasi-work" setting regardless of your level of experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
actually I've recently heard about one girl accepted to Harvard for this fall despite the fact that she got her barchelor @ spring. however during the college she was working on her own business.

you can use the combination of your age and your achievements as a great competitive advantage. i think you should realistically evaluate your experience.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, young students are certainly accepted to ultra elite programs. In the case of someone who ran her own business, I would recommend that she secure strong testimonials from her clients regarding her skills and potential.

It is easy to prove that at least a few young students are accepted to major business schools (the lower bound of the range is 21 at Penn, 22 at Columbia, Stanford (Class of 2004), and University of Chicago (Evening MBA), 23 at Northwestern and MIT . . . )
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]