GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 10:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need career guidance

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Need career guidance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 11:54
Qualifications
Xth :-64%
XII th:- 82%
Graduation :- 65% English (Hons) Humanities
Current work:- income tax inspector
Nature of work:- not related to corporate work experience in anyway, it is government sector work. The work is divided into two categories

Assessment Section 
A job in this section includes work related to desk job details that come with the title of Income Tax Inspector.
You will be responsible for assessing income tax that people, company or partnership firms are liable to pay.
You will also have to handle refund claims and TDS (Tax Deduction at Source) queries Non-Assessment Section 
A job in this section will subject you to field work.

Inspectors employed in this section can be a part of the rapid response team that conducts raids.

The ITIs who are given non-assessment duties usually have to perform only clerical duties.

Their job is limited to filing official paperwork and occasionally accompanying raid teams

My query:- I always wanted to do an MBA as it was my dream to work for a private company. Due to financial constraints, I was not able to apply for MBA in foreign universities. I had no interest in Indian MBA as I always wanted to work in a foreign country. Also Indian MBA had very low chances to get me placed in a foreign firm. Private firms in India without an MBA gives very less salary and high load which would not have given me time to make my profile for a foreign MBA.
Therefore, I decided to pursue a government job and finance my future MBA from that money.
I intend to do an MBA after 5 years. I can score score very well in GMAT and TOEFL analysed from official mocks that I have given. I am interested in doing MBA from Canada so that I can get permanent residency. I am aiming for "average" b schools in Canada only.
Please I am in dire need of help. I have 5 years at my disposal. Please guide me on how can I make my profile in these 5 years so that the adcoms don't reject me. Also honestly tell me whether I am eligible for doing MBA from an average Business School in Canada.
Thank you and God bless you !

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Need career guidance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 14:41
I am not totally understanding your question. Did you already take the govt job? If so, how long have you been in it so far? Why exactly are you waiting 5 years to apply to b-school? Do you have to wait that long? Five years is on the higher end in terms of years of work experience & when you get too old it negatively impacts your application.

The job you described is not one that is going to be that attractive to b-schools to be honest -- it sounds too administrative & not like a role that's going to allow you to make any meaningful individual impact, which is what the adcom wants to see. Ideally they want to see work experience where you have had the opportunity to use business skills to drive measurable impact (saving money for your org or generating revenue). They also want to see clear career progression & they want to see a pre-MBA career that has given you a strong foundation for your post-MBA goals.

If you're hoping for some specific advice on how to use the next 5 years, feel free to reach out to Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com & she can set you up with a free consultation. We do offer an advanced planning service designed to help you figure out specific steps you should take to improve your chances at b-school when you do plan to apply.

Topline I'd say consider a job that gives you the opportunity to have more impact on the org & take a leadership role, make sure you have some meaningful extracurriculars outside of work (again, ideally showing leadership), think through some strong clear post-MBA goals that you can use for your "why MBA" argument, and consider not waiting a whole 5 years until you apply.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Need career guidance

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap