GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 16:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Need General Study and Application Advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Need General Study and Application Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 00:54
Good evening,

I just purchased the Veritas self-study course and took their first CAS without any prepwork. I wanted to get a good baseline to track my improvement so figured this was the best course of action. I scored a Q: 38, V: 36, Overall: 610. I'm shooting to get a 730 and submit Round 2 applications to HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, Booth, CBS, Sloan, and Darden. I am currently accepted at UVA Law with all my tuition covered from 60% of the GI Bill and a scholarship from the school. I am considering doing the joint JD/MBA at UVA Law/Darden, or just going to business school. If I somehow got into HBS or Wharton, I would more than likely go that route over law school. The other schools would depend on the total out of pocket cost of attendance.

My background:
Bachelor of Science in History from U.S. Air Force Academy (3.03 GPA)
Master of Public Policy from George Mason University (3.82 GPA)
Captain in U.S. Air Force, will have 6 years of work experience as a contracting officer by the time I matriculate.

It took me about 6-7 months of total prep time to go from a 151 on my first LSAT practice test to a 173 on my 2nd actual attempt. Given all of this information, is it reasonable to think I could improve enough by the time Round 2 applications are due to be competitive for admission at these schools? If so, when would be the best time to schedule the actual test? (I ask because there is typically a 1 month delay on the LSAT before getting the official score and I am not too familiar with the GMAT at this point). Finally, what is the best way to utilize the GMAT Official Guide and the Veritas self-study course for those who went that route?

I appreciate any insight provided.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need General Study and Application Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 14:23
Hi vincitygialam1,

Since many of your questions are ultimately Admissions and application questions, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

This 610 is a strong initial CAT Score (the average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). With a 173 on the LSAT, I would bet that you could pick up some additional Verbal points on the GMAT without too much trouble (since GMAT RC and CR is relatively similar - and arguably easier - than LSAT RC and LR). Given your Score Goal, you would likely need at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study though. Based on the application deadlines you're considering, you'll have to be efficient with your time (since you would also have to work on your applications), but all of this is certainly doable under the timeframe you've described.

1) What are the exact application deadlines for the Programs that you're interested in?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Need General Study and Application Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 18:04
Hi vincitygialam1,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, can you improve your score by 120 points in a few months? Well, it’s not a guarantee, but it’s certainly possible. The best thing you can do is work your butt off between now and your GMAT and see what happens, right?

Regarding when to take your exam, it can take up to 20 days for you to receive your official score. So, at the latest, you’d need to take your GMAT three weeks prior to your earliest deadline. That being said, you also may want to reach out to the folks at admissions to see whether they’d accept another GMAT score after the deadline. In that case, if necessary, you’d have the opportunity to retake the GMAT and submit a higher score.

Regarding your study plan, since you scored a Q38/V36, it’s clear that you lack some quant and verbal fundamentals necessary for a high GMAT score. The most important piece of advice I can provide is that you follow a LINEAR study plan, meaning that you study in a way that allows you to slowly build mastery of one GMAT topic prior to moving on to the next. Within each topic, begin with the foundations and progress toward more advanced concepts. By doing so, you can ensure that your studying is focused and organized, thus allowing you to slowly and comprehensively build your quant and verbal skills.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

I realize that you have a high mountain to climb, so if you need future advice, feel free to report back here or reach out to me directly.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need General Study and Application Advice &nbs [#permalink] 07 Oct 2018, 18:04

Need General Study and Application Advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap