It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 03:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need guidance for increasing VERBAL score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 2.6
Need guidance for increasing VERBAL score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 21:46
Hello All

I need some urgent guidance regarding my GMAT score - 560 (Q 44, V 24) I followed the veritas prep course and was scoring 620 , 630 and in other practice tests also i scored 640 as well. My aim was to score 700 plus but this low score has ruined all my dreams. There were couple of things that i believe i did wrong during the test . After the quant section i thought that i performed terribly which in a way made be more nervous.

Secondly throughout the VERBAL section , i could not follow any strategy in SC section .which used to be my strong area so far the practice tests are concerned. I need to know is there any way through which i could differentiate which questions are hard , medium or easy . Many a times i get the hard questions right but the EASY ones wrong. Lastly i need some serious help in RC as even after doing lots of practice , my performance has not improved in it.

Thanks and regards

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27145 [0], given: 5001

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need guidance for increasing VERBAL score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 23:38
Hi. In addition to all of your other issues, you also posted in the wrong forum.

As to your score, it is average.... what do you mean you need guidance? Guidance for what?
This post seems like a guy who brings in a 20-year old rusty car to a mechanic and says he needs a quick fix. You need help in both Q and V, though verbal does stand out the most and thus will provide the most improvement. If you want a 700 score, you need at least 50-100 point improvement (assuming your 560 was a fluke and you are really able to pull off a 640 in a month without studying).

As to the test, I would not base your judgement of your strengths and weaknesses unless you see the detailed report with % of correct and incorrect and difficulty of questions, which I think you will never get. Many people feel a certain way - I did too. I felt I failed the verbal section and was constantly guessing which answer choice it should be. I got 96th percentile in Verbal. Go figure.

I would take a GMAT prep or MGMAT else to see where you rank in terms of Q and V (MGMAT seems to have really hard quant questions and lowballs your quant score). And then you can figure out what you need to fix and how much.

P.S. Another tip - If you are getting a 630 on a practice and test and need a 700, don't take the GMAT. Study some more instead and spend the $250 on study materials or a massage.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27145 [0], given: 5001

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 8

Re: Need guidance for increasing VERBAL score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2014, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
sidhaa wrote:
I need some urgent guidance regarding my GMAT score - 560 (Q 44, V 24) I followed the veritas prep course and was scoring 620 , 630 and in other practice tests also i scored 640 as well. My aim was to score 700 plus but this low score has ruined all my dreams. There were couple of things that i believe i did wrong during the test . After the quant section i thought that i performed terribly which in a way made be more nervous.

You scored within 50/60 points of what you were scoring on your practice tests. This is not surprising - especially since you had a case of nerves on the test.

sidhaa wrote:
Secondly throughout the VERBAL section , i could not follow any strategy in SC section .which used to be my strong area so far the practice tests are concerned. I need to know is there any way through which i could differentiate which questions are hard , medium or easy . Many a times i get the hard questions right but the EASY ones wrong. Lastly i need some serious help in RC as even after doing lots of practice , my performance has not improved in it.

I think there are a few reasons for you to do this:

1. Did the source you studied from expect you to "remember" stuff? If you were just trying to "remember" the rules then yes memory can play truant. Else the technique that you learn should be one that helps you under pressure. Heck! It should work MORE under pressure. If you had a technique that helped you solve just questions from OG then it is not a technique. There is a world of difference between solving isolated questions in practice and solving similar questions on a 4-hour test. The GMAT is not a sprint, it is a marathon.

2. Why would you want to differentiate the difficulty levels? How does it help you? How do you know you got the question you got right was "hard"? Or the question that you got wrong was "easy"? (<- sometimes a Q51 question are deceptively easy)? If you want to practice using tough questions, I would advice you to get the easier ones right i.e. the ones at the lower 600-range, which is where you were during practice. Once you are above the 650-mark you can take slightly tougher questions but till then I want you to NAIL the easier ones more consistently. Apart from the OG and the Verbal Review, I strongly recommend the official GMATPrep questions available on GMATClub forum. You also have Brunel's practice questions :-)

3. The biggest problem that I see in people with poor RC skills is that they focus more on understanding the passage. The technique that we teach in the class takes away all the power from the passage. You need to focus on the questions. You need to know just enough to answer the questions correctly. Once you get a hang of this, you will realize how little you actually need to know about the passage to answer most questions. GMAT is a thinker's test and the question will have devious options. You should focus completely on that and use the passage only as a crutch.

Hope this analysis helps,

Arun

Sign-up for Your Free Trial GMAT OnDemand Course
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 8

Re: Need guidance for increasing VERBAL score   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2014, 11:26