GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 27 May 2020, 14:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

need guidance on profile and gmat score

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
need guidance on profile and gmat score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 00:26
hi All,

after completing my mba in 2006 I have 10 years of work ex as shipbroker and for last 2 years i am employed as assistant professor in a management college. Planning to move back to industry so thinking of doing executive mba for better placement opportunity. 10th 84.4% cbse, 12th 56.2% state board and B.E. 63.6%......hv some gaps...profilewise what are my chances at one of top iim's or isb and what gmat score could help me? please advise
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: need guidance on profile and gmat score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 03:43
Top Contributor
pdubes wrote:
hi All,

after completing my mba in 2006 I have 10 years of work ex as shipbroker and for last 2 years i am employed as assistant professor in a management college. Planning to move back to industry so thinking of doing executive mba for better placement opportunity. 10th 84.4% cbse, 12th 56.2% state board and B.E. 63.6%......hv some gaps...profilewise what are my chances at one of top iim's or isb and what gmat score could help me? please advise

Thank you for posting. Would need more details on your profile to suggest - please shed more light on your post-MBA goals, leadership experiences, and ECA. With what you have provided, a chance at one of the top 3 IIMs (A,B,C) or ISB looks difficult, also because you are already on the higher side of work-ex (12+ years), and may not be a direct fit with a business career. Still, would be happy to analyze in more detail with more information.

Awesome Work | Honest Advise | Outstanding Results

Reach Out, Lets chat!
Email: info at gyanone dot com | +91 98998 31738 | Skype: gyanone.services
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 20:12
Many thanks for your advise which well noted. I understand i am on higher side of age (touching 40 later this year!!). But i feel i am a far more matured person today and I have not done justice to my ability and made much contribution and looking for a way to restart. due to some personal reasons i had to look for less stressful job and when in 2016 i cleared ugc net exam i decided to give academics a try. 2 years have passed and i am almost desperate to get back to industry. i am methodical and like to go into details of work in hand, love challenging problems and want to keep adding to my knowledge base - i would like to get into consulting or project management. as a ship broker i was not managing any team and was working in a small team. i was pretty aggressive in my work to get result. i think i have decent aptitude (though will wait for result to confirm this!!) and good understanding of management domain subjects..... please advise what gmat score would help my case if at all....or is it a dead end for me?
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 22:42
Top Contributor
pdubes wrote:
Many thanks for your advise which well noted. I understand i am on higher side of age (touching 40 later this year!!). But i feel i am a far more matured person today and I have not done justice to my ability and made much contribution and looking for a way to restart. due to some personal reasons i had to look for less stressful job and when in 2016 i cleared ugc net exam i decided to give academics a try. 2 years have passed and i am almost desperate to get back to industry. i am methodical and like to go into details of work in hand, love challenging problems and want to keep adding to my knowledge base - i would like to get into consulting or project management. as a ship broker i was not managing any team and was working in a small team. i was pretty aggressive in my work to get result. i think i have decent aptitude (though will wait for result to confirm this!!) and good understanding of management domain subjects..... please advise what gmat score would help my case if at all....or is it a dead end for me?

Hi pdubes

It is not a dead end, but you will need to carefully explain the transition and the value of your earlier work. Your post-MBA goals will also acquire increased importance as you will need to clearly draw a connection with what you will get into, why an MBA is needed, and why you took the teaching detour.

At your age and experience level, not too many programs would begin with a very favorable outlook. With a solid GMAT, you can tilt the scales in your favor. Aim for a 720+, and if you can get there, you create some opportunities for yourself at IIMC, IIMA, SPJ, XLRI, and ISB.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

Awesome Work | Honest Advise | Outstanding Results

Reach Out, Lets chat!
Email: info at gyanone dot com | +91 98998 31738 | Skype: gyanone.services
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2019, 19:37
Thanks a ton!!! really appreciate your assessment and advise...i understand the limitations of my profile and will take one step at a time to improve it... as of now it seems only thing that can give some credibility to my application will be gmat score..will do my best and also pray!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: need guidance on profile and gmat score   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2019, 19:37

need guidance on profile and gmat score

new topic post reply Update application status