Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Need Guidance to tackle best of two option [#permalink]
Hello EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thank you and Sure, pls as mentioned below :angel: ,
1. Currently I am reading Manhattan Strategy Guide, English Grammar by Raymond Murphy, English Grammar & Composition Wren & Martin (one concept / day) and solving questions from OG 2022 all set for study material
- I have not taken any mock recently, I am trying to focus to improve / gain my Basic and reading Economists articles
- my RC answer are getting correct, but consuming almost 15-18 mins :(
- in CR & SC, I am able to eliminate 3/5 options within 45 sec but getting struck two options which looks very similar or near to correct answer, this answer stem are taking almost 1 mins more to select, which ends with 60-65% accuracy. :(

2. I am planning to take GMAT through Test center by 25th May 2020, in India.

3. I will be applying to IIM A, IIM B and ISB for 1 year MBA through round 1.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi 100mitra,

While 'narrowing the answers down to 2 choices' is a reasonable way to approach the tougher questions that you will see on Test Day, if you take that type of approach too often, then there will be a limit to how high you will be able to score (since probability dictates that you will get HALF of those questions wrong - and on a 'bad day', it will be more than half). In a prior post, you noted that your Score Goal was 690+; to earn that type of Score, you have to be far more accurate at predicting what the correct answer will likely state (in CR and RC) before you look at the answers and in your knowledge of Grammar/Idiom rules (for SC). Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used so far? Have you taken any other CATs/mocks besides this recent one?
2) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

760+: What GMAT Assassins Do To Score at the Highest Levels

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Need Guidance to tackle best of two option [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Once you've narrowed the choices down to two, the move is to see how those last two choices are different and how the difference between the two choices makes one incorrect and the other correct.

For instance, in an SC question, the last two versions will have some key differences between them. So, you would focus on those differences to see what makes one choice better than the other.

Developing skill in doing this analysis takes time. So, to develop that skill, you should answer verbal practice questions untimed, taking all the time you need to fully understand each choice and determine which is correct with near certainty. As you develop skill, you'll naturally speed up.

For more on how to train for GMAT verbal, see these posts.

How to Score High on GMAT Verbal

Three Key Practice Tips for Mastering GMAT Verbal
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi 100mitra,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Bot