Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 09:53 It is currently 05 May 2024, 09:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: YLP '16
GPA: 4
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Need Help [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi himanshutyagi99,

You should try to answer EVERY question (even if it's just with a guess). Leaving questions unanswered will incur a 'penalty' on each question (and that penalty is WORSE than just answering the question incorrectly).

The pacing problem that you're having in the Verbal section is the result of "your way" of dealing with the Verbal section. There are tactics that you can use to work through questions faster, but they take time to learn and properly practice (which is why I suggested that you push back your Test Date).

What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with SC, RC and CR prompts?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi himanshutyagi99,

You should try to answer EVERY question (even if it's just with a guess). Leaving questions unanswered will incur a 'penalty' on each question (and that penalty is WORSE than just answering the question incorrectly).

The pacing problem that you're having in the Verbal section is the result of "your way" of dealing with the Verbal section. There are tactics that you can use to work through questions faster, but they take time to learn and properly practice (which is why I suggested that you push back your Test Date).

What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with SC, RC and CR prompts?

Rich

I am applying for ISB YLP program and I have to submit results by 7th August, so I don't have time to push.

If I try to attempt every question, the I make so many mistakes and not able to focus. I can complete only 30 questions.....any suggestions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi himanshutyagi99,

If you can answer my prior questions, then I'll offer the most appropriate advice that I can (for your limited study timeframe).

The difference between a V19 and a V22 is relatively small though (and neither is enough to help you score at a really high level overall).

Rich
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65116 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshutyagi99 wrote:
I have my GMAT exam on 1st August. I have been preparing for last one month. I took a GMAT mock test before ten days scored 570 (Q47, V22), attempted only 28 questions of verbal. My seniors told me that make guesses and try to attempt complete verbal section.
As I have practiced verbal a lot, I feel a bit comfortable now, but still I take time. I am able to attempt only32 questions in verbalin a way.

Today I took again a mock, I scored Q50, but In verbal i tried to attempt all 41 questions that I can't, so i just ran through questions and made guesses without even reading questions in the last. Because I thought about attempting every question, I was not able to focus on questions as I take time to understand that's why I made so many mistakes in the questions I solved also.

Today I got verbal 19 total 540.

I have GMAT on 1st August.

Experts please tell me some strategy to follow in exam, I have tried everything. I am a kind of hopeless now....please advice....

What is your target score? If you are looking at 700+, you will need to push back your test. Pushing verbal up by 20 points will need some very serious effort. If you cannot push back your test, you will need to compromise on your score and try your best with whatever you get.

That said, to maximise your score, you can try a few things. You say that you can complete only 30 questions in the given time. Increasing your speed takes time. If you must take the test on 1st Aug, try to guess intermittently. Say, you make a lot of mistakes on CR questions. When you see a CR which "looks" hard/has a long argument etc, guess on it right away and move on. You will likely be penalised less in case you spread your guesses around and in case you guess more on the question type where you often falter.

Check out this post for a discussion on this strategy: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/10 ... for-field/
GMAT Club Bot