It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 13:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 10:14
I have given first test of gmat prep test in august and scored 560 in that. After that i prepared for 1.5 months and then started giving tests from 800score point. i scored 590 in first test and 570 in second. Today again i gave third test and scored 500 in test, scoring horrifyingly less in verbal. I have scheduled my exam on 6th Dec and i am looking forward to scoring 650 atleast. Can someone please guide me on how to score 650? My confidence level has dropped to a very low level. I need help.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 10:19
Hey shrutivishwasrao23 ,

Welcome to GMATClub :)

Here are a couple of suggestions to improve your verbal score :

1. Get through all the basic strategies first.
2. Learn the commonly tested rules of SC, CR and RCs.
3. Start reading slowly and try to understand what the question is asking.
4. Go with POE throughout a process. If you think a certain option is correct, you should be 100% sure about it.
5. Read my debrief down there to get some tips to improve verbal.
6. Don't overburn yourself by giving too many mocks.
7. Focus only on official material for practice and for mocks.

All the best :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 328

GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 10:30
shrutivishwasrao23 wrote:
I have given first test of gmat prep test in august and scored 560 in that. After that i prepared for 1.5 months and then started giving tests from 800score point. i scored 590 in first test and 570 in second. Today again i gave third test and scored 500 in test, scoring horrifyingly less in verbal. I have scheduled my exam on 6th Dec and i am looking forward to scoring 650 atleast. Can someone please guide me on how to score 650? My confidence level has dropped to a very low level. I need help.

Hi
First of all, brush up the concepts of SC, CR. Refer to MGMAT books as they are one of the best.
For RC, practice everyday atleast 4 passages. Practice from the OG and mostly stick to OG material.
For Quant also, you can refer to MGMAT guides for concepts and OG for practice.
Hope it helps.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 328

VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1101 [0], given: 544

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 11:03

Hello

Use Only GMAT Prep for your score indication, 800score test are not as valid as GMAT Prep is

Start with Quant, learn the concepts tested on GMAT. After learning, practice your learned section with timed practice. You can also take quizzes to meet the pace of GMAT. 1 Month for learning concepts and 15 days of practice and same with the verbal. When completed all the concepts learning and handsome practice. Take full lenght CATs, know your estimated score. Analyze the result with Correct/incorrect questions, pacing analysis trace your mistakes and learn from them, make an error log to know your mistakes in the previously attempted questions

Best Mocks

1. Official GMAC (50+50$)
2. Manhattan GMAT (49$)
3. GMAT Club Quant CATs (80$)

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1101 [0], given: 544

V

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 29

WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 11:49

Hi shrutivishwasrao23,

Do not be disheartened. It’s a good thing you have taken some practice Tests. You can now know your weakness can now work to improve your accuracy in them. Given how close you are to your GMAT, I will not recommend trying on a lot of new things.

For additional practice in verbal you can use e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in your courses and is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 29

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3536 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 19:05
Hi shrutivishwasrao23,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 21:56
Hi Rich,

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
I started studying for gmat from July 2017.Initially i used to study for 2 hours a day but since now exams are near i try to study as much as i could in between working hours.
2) What study materials have you used so far?
I have completed official OG 2018. Other than OG i have been referring manahattan prep for SC and powerscore for CR
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
I have scored 44,42,45 in quant and 27,26,16 in verbal in 800score point tests

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
Fall 2018
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
Business schools in canada. Ryerson and UBC specifically. I have work ex of 3 years

Rich[/quote]

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 13:16
Hi shrutivishwasrao23,

The Scoring Algorithm for the Official GMAT is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it. Thus, CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The 6 Official GMAC CATs are the most realistic - and since you don't appear to have used any of those yet, it would help to know how you perform on one of those Exams. As such, I strongly recommend that you take one of the Official GMAT CATs and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 08:13
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi shrutivishwasrao23,

The Scoring Algorithm for the Official GMAT is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it. Thus, CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The 6 Official GMAC CATs are the most realistic - and since you don't appear to have used any of those yet, it would help to know how you perform on one of those Exams. As such, I strongly recommend that you take one of the Official GMAT CATs and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

Hi Rich,
As told by you i gave gmat prep test 1. and i scored 570. Q48 and V20. Yesterday i gave MGMAT and scored Q46 and V27. I am unable to come to terms with my today’s performance in verbal and i am really scared. My actual gmat exam is on 6th December and i cannot postpone my date. Can u please help me on how to improve my verbal score? I am looking forward to apply to ryerson university and UBC in canada.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 13:17
Hi shrutivishwasrao23,

Yes, I know that you took one of the GMAC CATs at the beginning of your studies - but since that was at least 3 months ago, I wanted to see how you would score on one of those GMAC CATs right NOW - so that we can get the most accurate assessment of your abilities. However, you chose to take a different 3rd-party CAT instead, so now we're in the same situation as before: we don't necessarily have the most accurate assessment of your abilities. Maybe this recent Q46/V27 is accurate, but if it's not, then you'll use that data to focus on areas during these last few weeks when you might need to be focusing on other areas.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
2) If you don't score 650+ on December 6th, how will your plans change (will you keep studying)?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 19:44
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi shrutivishwasrao23,

Yes, I know that you took one of the GMAC CATs at the beginning of your studies - but since that was at least 3 months ago, I wanted to see how you would score on one of those GMAC CATs right NOW - so that we can get the most accurate assessment of your abilities. However, you chose to take a different 3rd-party CAT instead, so now we're in the same situation as before: we don't necessarily have the most accurate assessment of your abilities. Maybe this recent Q46/V27 is accurate, but if it's not, then you'll use that data to focus on areas during these last few weeks when you might need to be focusing on other areas.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
2) If you don't score 650+ on December 6th, how will your plans change (will you keep studying)?

Rich

Hi rich,
I took one more gmac test recently and i scored 570(q48 v20) in that. I took MGMAT on different day.

I can study 2 hours per day on weekdays and 4-6 hours per day on weekends.

This is my last try. I don’t think i will be studying for it after 6th dec. Even if i go near to my target score, i will b happy.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 17:54
Hi shrutivishwasrao23,

If the information that you've provided is accurate, then this recent GMAC CAT Score is almost identical to the one you reported from back in August. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, these 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 570+/- a few points) even though you took the CATs 3 months apart. This implies that regardless of what you studied (and what you may have learned over the last 3 months), you continue to approach the Quant and Verbal sections in the same ways as before. Thus, it's possible that you've gotten 'stuck' at this score level - and you've likely developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits'). Unfortunately, December 6th is just a little over 2 weeks away, so there will probably be a limit to how much you might improve in that time.

Given your score goal, I would highly recommend that you push back your Test Date. With a V20, you're losing significant points in ALL 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). If you truly cannot do any studying after December 6th (meaning for the next 10 MONTHS before you apply), then you should spend the bulk of your time on the biggest point 'categories' - in this case, that would likely be SC (although you'll have to review your CATs to define the types of questions that you're getting wrong (and WHY you're getting them wrong).

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Re: Need help   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2017, 17:54

Need help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap