GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Need help analyzing my ESR: Score 680 V35 Q48

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
CAT Tests
Need help analyzing my ESR: Score 680 V35 Q48  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 05:48
Hello experts,
I gave my Gmat yesterday and I got a score of 680, which is disappointing for me given the fact that I was consistently able to score above 710 in Gmat prep mocks.

I want to give GMAT again in 15 days because I think I could do much better in Quant if I wasn’t so nervous.

But given my verbal score is 35, I guess there is lot of margin for improvement there.
In my ESR, I saw my SC and CR are both 94th percentile but my RC is 45th percentile...I got 4 passages (2 very hard) and I think that messed up my score.

Is this something that can be fixed by practicing a lot in the next 15 days?

Also, I am not sure where exactly did the faulter in my Quant section.
Could you please tell me from my ESR (as you are experts) where do I need to put in more work in next 15 days?

I appreciate all your help and guidance..
Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

Zenia Mehta_344889812_ESR.pdf [486.23 KiB]
Downloaded 50 times

To download please login or register as a user

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Need help analyzing my ESR: Score 680 V35 Q48  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 07:40
zeniamehta wrote:
Hello experts,
I gave my Gmat yesterday and I got a score of 680, which is disappointing for me given the fact that I was consistently able to score above 710 in Gmat prep mocks.

I want to give GMAT again in 15 days because I think I could do much better in Quant if I wasn’t so nervous.

But given my verbal score is 35, I guess there is lot of margin for improvement there.
In my ESR, I saw my SC and CR are both 94th percentile but my RC is 45th percentile...I got 4 passages (2 very hard) and I think that messed up my score.

Is this something that can be fixed by practicing a lot in the next 15 days?

Also, I am not sure where exactly did the faulter in my Quant section.
Could you please tell me from my ESR (as you are experts) where do I need to put in more work in next 15 days?

I appreciate all your help and guidance..
Thanks in advance.
You did very well in SC and CR.

As for RC, you will always get 4 passages. Was the 41% in RC a one-off?

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 09:18
Hi AjiteshArun
Thanks for responding

This was my first attempt..

And I am not usually that bad in RC
Any way you suggest I can improve on it?
Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 11:09
zeniamehta wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun
Thanks for responding

Thanks
If RC is not normally a problem for you, try to pinpoint the cause of the drop (a topic that you were uncomfortable with, time pressure...) and work on that. Some (broad) good practices for RC:

1. Making notes (be careful with this one as it affects timing)
2. Keeping track of both time and the number of passages
3. Focusing on elimination
4. Sticking to the information provided in the passage

If additional time would help, you could try to squeeze some of that time out from SC.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 18:03
Hi zeniamhta,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Before providing specific advice, I’d like to learn some more about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions:

1) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com). Also, how were you scoring on RC on your practice exams/

2) Please describe how you studied. For how many hours a day did you study and for how many months?

3) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

4) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

5) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

6) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

Once I learn some more about you, I can provide some further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 22:24
Hi zeniamehta,

In a prior post, you stated that you had retaken one of the Official GMAC CATs on December 1st and scored 730. Have you taken (or retaken) any of the Official CATs since then? How did you Score on those specific CATs?

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your Official Score is in the same general range of your various CAT score results (about 700 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

This 680/Q48 is a strong Score (it's above the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. Thus, before you rush back in to retest, it would help to know a bit more about your overall timeline and goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Need help analyzing my ESR: Score 680 V35 Q48  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jan 2019, 18:16
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi zeniamehta,
Hello Sir,
Thank you so much for replying.
Please see my responses in bold.

In a prior post, you stated that you had retaken one of the Official GMAC CATs on December 1st and scored 730. Have you taken (or retaken) any of the Official CATs since then? How did you Score on those specific CATs?
I took only 2 after you had suggested not to take exhaust myself before the exam.
I scored 720 , 2 weeks before the exam
I scored 740 , 1 week before the exam

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your Official Score is in the same general range of your various CAT score results (about 700 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.
Can you please suggest how can i improve on RCs, i have started reading a lot about US history, Physical Sciences..
I would say one of the passages that i saw on GMAT appeared to be difficult because i found the topic very boring (Something about Intellectual Property rights), even after trying so hard i could not focus well on the passage. How do i overcome these problems?

This 680/Q48 is a strong Score (it's above the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. Thus, before you rush back in to retest, it would help to know a bit more about your overall timeline and goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School? I am planning to apply this year 2019.
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to? Only Ivy league colleges (Harvard, Wharton, Chicago Booth, Stanford, Kellogg)

Rich

Originally posted by zeniamehta on 03 Jan 2019, 18:12.
Last edited by zeniamehta on 03 Jan 2019, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 18:15
AjiteshArun wrote:
zeniamehta wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun
Thanks for responding

Thanks
If RC is not normally a problem for you, try to pinpoint the cause of the drop (a topic that you were uncomfortable with, time pressure...) and work on that. Some (broad) good practices for RC:

Yes the topic in one of the passages i saw on GMAT was very boring and i could hardly focus on first paragraph.
I am not sure how do i overcome this ? Any suggestions?
1. Making notes (be careful with this one as it affects timing)
2. Keeping track of both time and the number of passages
3. Focusing on elimination
4. Sticking to the information provided in the passage

If additional time would help, you could try to squeeze some of that time out from SC.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 18:23
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi zeniamhta,
Thanks for replying Sir. Please see my responses in Bold.

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Before providing specific advice, I’d like to learn some more about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions:

1) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com). Also, how were you scoring on RC on your practice exams/
GMAT Prep 1: 720 (Q50V38) IR 4 - 2 weeks before exam
GMAT Prep 1: 740 (Q50V40) IR 4 - 1 week before exam

2) Please describe how you studied. For how many hours a day did you study and for how many months?
I have studied for 6 months now, spending minimum 2 hours a day. 4 hours over the weekend.

3) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?
I will be applying to only Ivy league colleges this year 2019.

4) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?
I do have 2-3 months more. Because application process won't start before April.

5) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?
I can study 2-3 hours a day and 4-5 hours on weekends.

6) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.
I think i prepared very well (definitely above 700) ,one thing that ruined first part of my exam (Quant) was my nervousness. That's why Q48 was disappointing.

Once I learn some more about you, I can provide some further advice.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 12:26
Hi zeniamehta,

I sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 07:58
Hi zeniamehta,

Thank you for the response. So, first off, 680 with a Q48 is a really solid score (only a 2-point drop from the quant scores on your practice exams). Looking at your ESR, it’s clear that Reading Comprehension was the main culprit for your score drop. The good news is that there is plenty you can do to improve your Reading Comprehension skills; however, doing so may take longer that just a few weeks. Would you consider retaking your GMAT at a later date?

In any case, here is some advice you can follow to improve in Reading Comprehension. When you are incorrectly answering Reading Comprehension questions, it’s partly because you do not truly understand what you have just read, right? Thus, you likely have to slow down in order to (eventually) speed up. At this point, your best bet is to focus on getting the correct answers to questions, taking as much time as you need to see key details and understand the logic of what you are reading. You have to learn to comprehend what you read, keep it all straight, and use what you are reading to arrive at correct answers. If you don't understand something, go back and read it one sentence at a time, even one word at a time, not moving on until you understand what you have just read. There is no way around this work. Your goal should be to take all the time you need to understand exactly what is being said and arrive at the correct answer. If you can learn to get answers taking your time, you can learn to speed up. Answering questions is like any task: The more times you do it carefully and successfully, the faster you become at doing it carefully and successfully.

Another component of understanding what you are reading is being “present” when reading. Don’t worry about how things are going at work, or what you will eat for dinner, or even how long you are taking to read through the passage. Just focus on what is in front of you, word by word, line by line. Furthermore, try to make reading fun. For example, even if you are reading about a topic that bores you, pretend that you are the person making the argument. By doing so, you will make the passage more relatable to YOU, and ultimately you should be able to read with greater focus.

One final component of Reading Comprehension that may be tripping you up is that RC questions contain one or more trap answers that seem to answer the question but don't really. So, a key part of training to correctly answer RC questions is learning to notice the differences between trap answers and correct answers. You have to learn to see how trap answers seem to follow from what the passages say, but don't really, while correct answers fit what the passages say exactly.

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about [url=(https://blog.targettestprep.com/how-to- ... 0-on-gmat/]how to score a 700+ on the GMAT[/url].

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need help analyzing my ESR: Score 680 V35 Q48 &nbs [#permalink] 08 Jan 2019, 07:58

Need help analyzing my ESR: Score 680 V35 Q48

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap