GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jan 2019, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

January 22, 2019

January 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

January 26, 2019

January 26, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Need Help!!! Exam anxiety in Mocks.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Need Help!!! Exam anxiety in Mocks.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 19:24
I have GMAT exam on Dec 26th. I started giving mocks(including IR and AWA) from 800 score and MGMAT ,continuously I am getting on average Q 36,V 20. I am very sure that,I can score more than this.But due to exam anxiety I am losing my confidence.

In quant,by seeing the decline in questions difficulty level I am assuming my previous questions are gone wrong therefore losing interest and confidence to answer remaining questions.

In verbal,because of the performance in quant I am unable to see the subject in SC questions,scoring very less in verbal.

How do I overcome this situation and get confidence ??. Any tips before taking mocks ??

I already postponed my exam from Oct to December.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need Help!!! Exam anxiety in Mocks.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 21:37
Hi manideep12,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) Have you taken the Official GMAT yet? If you have, then how did you Score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
7) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
8) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 04:54
Hi manideep12,

A lot of students face the problem of Exam Anxiety which prevents them from achieving their true potential. This article on 10 tips to tackle GMAT anxiety will tell you ways by which you can overcome it.

Hope this helps. If you need any further help with GMAT feel free to write to us at support@e-gmat.com. We would be happy to help.

Regards,
Aditee

Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
Need Help!!! Exam anxiety in Mocks.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 05:14
EMPOWERgmatRichC, Thanks for reply!!!

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?---From 5 months(daily 2 hrs)
2) What study materials have you used so far?----(To practice I am using sets found in internet,OG,PowerScore)
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

800Score
Mock 1:- Sep 7, (Q30,V30)
Mock 2:- Sep 28,(Q32,V28)
Mock 3:- Nov 13,(Q41,V22)
Mock 4:- Nov 23,(Q32,V23)

MGMAT
Mock 5:-Dec 12,(Q38,V20)

4) Have you taken the Official GMAT yet? If you have, then how did you Score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?-- Before preparation I took test in July,360(Q27,V13)

Goals:
5) What is your goal score? --700+
6) When are you planning to take the GMAT? --Dec 26 2018
7) When are you planning to apply to Business School? In 2019
8) What Schools are you planning to apply to? Europe and Canada Bussiness schools
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 05:57
manideep12
I will advise you to give GMAT official mock tests. MGMAT tests are difficult as compared to actual test
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 13:02
Hi manideep12,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), but the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you use the CAT correctly).

Assuming that your current 'ability level' is in the low-500s, improving to the point that you could consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, there's no practical way for you to get to that level by December 26th. There's no harm in taking the GMAT on that date, but you will almost certainly have to take it again later. Thus, you can save some money and aggravation if you push back your Test Date.

1) When you say that you want to apply to School in 2019, do you mean early in 2019 or for Round 1 in the Fall of 2019?
2) What is the minimum Score that you would apply with?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 17:43
1) I wanted apply in early 2019

2) I wanted to apply minimum score with 650

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 21:14
Hi manideep12,

Unfortunately, improving to the point that you could consistently score 650+ will still likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

1) What are the application deadlines for each of the Programs that you want to apply to? Are there any later application deadlines that closer to 3 months away?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 10:18
Hi manideep12,

I’m sorry to hear how things have been going with your GMAT. Although MANY GMAT test-takers suffer from anxiety, looking at your situation, I think you are suffering more from a knowledge issue than from an anxiety issue. Furthermore, looking at your current study routine, it appears you are taking the approach of what I call “practice first and figure the rest out later.” In other words, you’ve been doing practice problems before understanding the concepts on which those problems are based, and thus trying to learn solely from reading solutions to problems. Thus, it’s not shocking that your practice exam scores have not improved much since you started your prep, right? In order to truly improve your GMAT skills, you need to go back and start with the foundations of quant and verbal. After you have mastered those foundations, begin doing focused practice. That being said, you will need more than 16 days to improve your GMAT score, so I recommend that you consider waiting to take your GMAT until you are hitting 700+ on practice exams.

One other flaw in your prep is that you’ve been taking practice exams before you are ready to do so. GMAT practice tests serve two main purposes: to provide diagnostic information and to get you accustomed to the test-taking experience. In other words, by taking a practice test, you can get a sense of what types of GMAT questions you are comfortable answering, arrive at a reasonable estimation of how you would score on the GMAT at that point in time, and practice taking the GMAT and handling its various challenges, such as time pressure and the varying difficulty of the questions presented.

Can practice tests be valuable tools for learning and continued score improvement? Yes, of course, if they are used properly and at optimal times in your preparation. However, you should not use practice tests as primary learning vehicles because they don’t really provide the kind of practice that you need to increase your score. To improve your score, you need to learn the basics of answering various types of GMAT questions, and then practice applying what you have learned by carefully answering practice questions in order to learn to answer them correctly. When you first learn how to answer a particular type of question, answering correctly can easily take way longer than the two minutes or so per question that you are allotted when you take the GMAT. So, to effectively prepare, you have to practice answering questions of each type without the constraints of the exam, and work up to the point at which you can answer questions of each type in around two minutes.

When taking a practice test, you don’t give yourself the kind of time you need to learn to answer questions. Two minutes per question flies by, and if you want to finish each section of the test on time, in many cases, regardless of whether you have figured out how to answer a question, you may have to pick an answer and move on. So, while taking a practice test can be a great way to work on your overall approach to taking the GMAT, taking a practice test is not a great way to learn how to get right answers to various types of questions. To hit your score goal, you likely need to focus on the latter type of prep. You certainly can benefit from taking one diagnostic practice test early in your preparation to gauge your current skill level (as you have done), but why spend three hours taking another practice test (and another, and another) to discover the same thing again and again: You have to learn more content and develop more skills to hit your score goal. Using practice tests in such a way wastes a valuable tool.

Once you have done substantial preparation and mastered much of the content tested on the GMAT, when you sit for practice tests, they will actually show, to some degree, lingering weak areas that require strengthening. I say “to some degree” because although practice tests provide a pretty good approximation of how you will score on the GMAT at a particular point in time, the sample size of the number of questions found on any practice test is rather small (31 quant questions and 36 verbal questions), so practice tests don’t do a very good job of showing specific areas of weakness. For example, let’s say that you encounter one Rate-Time-Distance question among the 31 quant questions on a practice test, and you get the question wrong. Should you conclude that you need extensive work on Rate-Time-Distance questions? Of course not. What if you correctly answered the Rate-Time-Distance question? Does that mean you’re good to go on such questions? Maybe. But maybe not. In fact, let’s say that out of six practice tests, you saw a total of six Rate-Time-Distance questions and correctly answered them all. Can you conclude that you’re solid on Rate-Time-Distance questions? Probably not. One thing that makes the GMAT challenging is the vast potential for variation in the questions. There are hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of variations of Rate-Time-Distance questions that can appear on any test. So, correctly answering five or six (or ten) Rate-Time-Distance questions doesn’t really tell you much. You must take care not to over-infer based on a handful of practice tests.

I realize that I provided you with a lot of information, so feel free to reach back out with further questions. Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 01:32
Hi, manideep12

I’m sorry to hear that you are struggling with test anxiety. Before giving you advice directly, I want to say that you don’t have to be obsessed with your mock scores. It can vary hugely depending on what kind of mock tests you took. The level of mock test could be a bit more difficult than the official one, so you could have improved more from the score you got (V13, Q27) first on the official GMAT. You’d better keep in mind that the official one shows your level and score accurately. And it is important to take official GMAT to evaluate improvements and check where you are.

Nevertheless, fluctuations on your scores could be one annoying problem. There could be two reasons. The first one as you mentioned is test anxiety. You can suffer from lack of confidence, time and making a lot of mistakes. In this case, I recommend you to be familiarized with the test condition. Not just focus on checking your test scores, but focus on controlling yourself assuming that you are taking an official test. And you’d better make the place where you take a mock test similar with the place where you take official GMAT test. Also, mind control the day before the test, or shortly before the exam is important. [Physical Condition] Do your intensive studying until the week before the exam, and make sure you get enough sleep at least 3-4 days before the exam. Maintaining good physical condition while taking the exam will help you to get a good score.

The second reason could be lack of solid foundation of both quant and verbal. You could think that you already understood the basics, but considering that your guant score is around 35 with some swings, you’d better review the basics or Math Review course. You don't have to take all the lessons, because it could be waste of time. Focus on the subjects of which the foundations are not solid and you feel lack of satisfaction.

Please let us know if you have further questions.
You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach,
Good luck!

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $149 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need Help!!! Exam anxiety in Mocks. &nbs [#permalink] 08 Jan 2019, 01:32

Need Help!!! Exam anxiety in Mocks.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap