GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 18:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need Help! Facing Difficulty in prethinking assumptions in CR :-(

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Need Help! Facing Difficulty in prethinking assumptions in CR :-(  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 22:38
Solving CR questions has become such a pain, it has become hard for me to prethink assumptions for a given conclusion.
I would try to think for alternate reasons during prethink to apply on the given conclusion, but fail almost all the time.
Could someone please advice me on how to tackle this annoying problem at hand?
Thanks
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Need Help! Facing Difficulty in prethinking assumptions in CR :-(  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 03:18
Amanullah Khan wrote:
Solving CR questions has become such a pain, it has become hard for me to prethink assumptions for a given conclusion.
I would try to think for alternate reasons during prethink to apply on the given conclusion, but fail almost all the time.
Thanks
I found some gud points in CR PPT downloaded from here ;have a look. it's useful.
Few key points for prethinking:
1.Gap fill : smthing tht is not mentioned in d premise but mentioned in conclusion. A connection.
2.Only way: to state , to achieve x ,Y is d only way. Eg. There is no other way to achieve x
3.cause nd effect Reasoning : Remove the "weakness". Eg. A causes B, then assumption
* B doesn't cause A
*C doesn't cause B : meaning no other caused B other than A.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Need Help! Facing Difficulty in prethinking assumptions in CR :-(  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 03:39
Amanullah Khan wrote:
Thanks
See this screenshot
Attachment:
1538562984552.jpg
1538562984552.jpg [ 107.05 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]

Orion Director of Academics
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 08:58
Sometimes assumptions are going to be incredibly difficult to prethink on. One alternative thing you could do to attack assumption questions is to try negating the answer choices. In other words, restate each as its opposite (so if it says "the sky is blue" you would rephrase it as "the sky is NOT blue"). Then you can look for the statement that would most weaken the conclusion now that it's negated. This works because an assumption is a statement that is unstated but it is something on which the argument relies. If you take a statement away (or negate it) and the argument falls apart, you know that it's integral to the argument.

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 17:58
deepverma wrote:
Amanullah Khan wrote:
Thanks
See this screenshot
Attachment:
1538562984552.jpg

I like this screenshot. There are many other routes to identifying assumptions too. I hate to say this: assumptions are pretty intuitive most of the time as they are based on common sense. One sure-fire way of getting better at finding assumptions is to practice this skill in real life whenever you have a chance. When you read an article or watch a debate or a speech, how can you poke holes in the arguments? What do their conclusions rely on? Do this enough and you'll find that 80% of the GMAT CR assumptions are the first things that come to your mind, and 90% of them are within the first two.

Are you aiming for a 700+ GMAT score and a top 10 MBA?
If you are, we should talk. I specialize in ambitious students.

$80/hour as of May 2018.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need Help! Facing Difficulty in prethinking assumptions in CR :-( &nbs [#permalink] 15 Oct 2018, 17:58

Need Help! Facing Difficulty in prethinking assumptions in CR :-(

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap