GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 13:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need help in deciding whether to retake.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Need help in deciding whether to retake.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 02:07
Hi I gave my GMAT exam on 19th of Sept, and scored 640 (Q45, V33) but what was more dissapointing is that I got a very low score of 1 in DI section.

Now i am not sure if I shoud retake the examination or not.

PS : I will be applying only to German Colleges. I have a 5+ work ex and have an avg 6.7 CGPA in B. Tech.
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Need help in deciding whether to retake.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 22:16
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that GMAT didn't pan out the way you wanted. Given that you're looking to apply to schools in Germany, your score is actually within average score for most of the schools in Germany except for the top MBA program, Mannheim, where the average GMAT is around 680. The average score for the #2 school in Germany, ESMT Berlin, is 640.

That said, there are other factors that come into play which could make your overall application stronger, most importantly the depth of your work experience, quality of your recommendation letters, and strength of your essays. However, if you want to aim for Mannheim or be in the "safe zone" for ESMT Berlin or HHL, retaking the GMAT to aim for a 680 is not a bad idea. Also, if it was your first time taking the GMAT, chances are you might have had an "off-day" and there's still potential for improvement. However, if it was your third time taking it then you might have reached your max score. Taking it the fourth time is a big maybe, but not worth the time and effort for fifth time. Hope this helps!
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 11:13
Priyam47 wrote:
Hi I gave my GMAT exam on 19th of Sept, and scored 640 (Q45, V33) but what was more dissapointing is that I got a very low score of 1 in DI section.

Now i am not sure if I shoud retake the examination or not.

PS : I will be applying only to German Colleges. I have a 5+ work ex and have an avg 6.7 CGPA in B. Tech.

Hi,

I feel IR is quite less. I would recommend another attempt definitely.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 08:17
What schools are you targeting at ?
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 02:43
Hi,
I got a 570,Q41 V27 in Jan'19.
In the last 2 weeks I took the official mocks and got a 680,Q44 V38 and 640,Q46 V33 in each of the mocks.
I want to apply to a good college(curriculum,employability wis) in the US for Masters in Finance.
I am also looking at France as an option.
I have a low GPA but have passed 2 levels of CFA program.
I also have internship experience in relevant field.
What would be an ideal score?
Should I book a date?
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 08:27
Hi Rishab30,

As you know of course, competitive GMAT ranges vary significantly by school, but if you're targeting higher-ranked programs, then a GMAT score in the mid- to high 600s will definitely benefit you compared to your January score of 570. Depending on what application cycle you're shooting for, I would indeed recommend that you book a new test date sooner than later, especially if you've been doing test prep recently -- it's best to take the exam as soon as possible while all the material is fresh in your mind.

Beyond retaking the GMAT, you'll also want to emphasize your relevant work experience and your CFA in your application materials (especially your essays, which can be a powerful tool to bolster the case for applicants with lower GPA's and/or test scores). Feel free to reach out to us at Admissionado if we can be of help there!

Need help in deciding whether to retake.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado