GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 14:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need Help! My GMATPrep score has suddenly fallen down!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Need Help! My GMATPrep score has suddenly fallen down!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 05:12
Hi,

So, I had recently purchased the Exam Pack 1 & 2 based on the advice I received on a previous post of mine. here- https://gmatclub.com/forum/need-a-concrete-study-plan-for-my-3rd-and-final-attempt-at-the-gmat-252412.html#p1952533

I had completed my EP1. Saw a significant score increase in the first test: OA 700, Q-49, V-36
For my second test in EP1 though, I didn't give the test in one sitting. After a long day at the office I came back freshened up and started the quant section and by the time I came to verbal, I was very tired so left it at that. Next day I gave the Verbal portion and as I did it I was very focused and fresh.
So in the second test I scored a 740(Q-51, V-38). I'm aware that these are very inflated scores considering i did not do the test in 1 sitting.

With a week away from my actual GMAT test, i gave the first test of EP2. It was a fiasco! I scored a terrible 640(Q- 49, V-28! :sad: )!
Couple of things I noticed while giving the test. I was feeling slightly exhausted by the end of Quant section , just before verbal. My time management in Quant was terrible. I usually complete quant with a minute left, but today I had to guess the last 7 questions! I took too much time while solving the DS questions, Solving things to the very end so I don't miss a case.

By the time i completed quant, I was all WTH! thats not my best quant attempt. I was feeling a little tensed. nevertheless I geared up for Verbal. Verbal felt tough for me. I usually nail my RCs and do them quickly, but today I don't know why I was having difficulty focusing and comprehending RC and CR!Even in SC I was not able to be methodical.... when I completed the Verbal, I knew I did it pretty bad. Nevertheless I geared up for IR. Got 6 in IR.

My section order was this(first section being quants) - Q, V, IR,AWA
My split for the Quants and Verbal section according to GMATPrep software are these:
Q: 49
Problem Solving: 50
Data Sufficiency: 47
Arithmetic: 48
Algebra/geometry: 49

V: 28
CR: 22
RC: 31
SC: 33

I have not done the test analysis for this test as I am thinking I'll give the test one more attempt after resetting the questions. Is that a good idea at this point?!
I am pretty disappointed at the score. I'm kinda tensed as my actual GMAT is just a week away. Also , I have 1 more test left in EP2.

What should I do? How should I proceed to maximize my verbal score? Would really like some genuine advice, since this is going to be my final attempt at the GMAT...

Thanks for any help!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S
Re: Need Help! My GMATPrep score has suddenly fallen down!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 12:55
ThatKickassGirl wrote:
Hi,

So, I had recently purchased the Exam Pack 1 & 2 based on the advice I received on a previous post of mine. here- https://gmatclub.com/forum/need-a-concrete-study-plan-for-my-3rd-and-final-attempt-at-the-gmat-252412.html#p1952533

I had completed my EP1. Saw a significant score increase in the first test: OA 700, Q-49, V-36
For my second test in EP1 though, I didn't give the test in one sitting. After a long day at the office I came back freshened up and started the quant section and by the time I came to verbal, I was very tired so left it at that. Next day I gave the Verbal portion and as I did it I was very focused and fresh.
So in the second test I scored a 740(Q-51, V-38). I'm aware that these are very inflated scores considering i did not do the test in 1 sitting.

With a week away from my actual GMAT test, i gave the first test of EP2. It was a fiasco! I scored a terrible 640(Q- 49, V-28! :sad: )!
Couple of things I noticed while giving the test. I was feeling slightly exhausted by the end of Quant section , just before verbal. My time management in Quant was terrible. I usually complete quant with a minute left, but today I had to guess the last 7 questions! I took too much time while solving the DS questions, Solving things to the very end so I don't miss a case.

By the time i completed quant, I was all WTH! thats not my best quant attempt. I was feeling a little tensed. nevertheless I geared up for Verbal. Verbal felt tough for me. I usually nail my RCs and do them quickly, but today I don't know why I was having difficulty focusing and comprehending RC and CR!Even in SC I was not able to be methodical.... when I completed the Verbal, I knew I did it pretty bad. Nevertheless I geared up for IR. Got 6 in IR.

My split for the Quants and Verbal section according to GMATPrep software are these:

I have not done the test analysis for this test as I am thinking I'll give the test one more attempt after resetting the questions. Is that a good idea at this point?!
I am pretty disappointed at the score. I'm kinda tensed as my actual GMAT is just a week away. Also , I have 1 more test left in EP2.

What should I do? How should I proceed to maximize my verbal score? Would really like some genuine advice, since this is going to be my final attempt at the GMAT...

Thanks for any help!

Hi ThatKickassGirl! Carolyn from Magoosh here :-)

First of all, it's very normal to see some variation, even a lot of variation, in your practice test scores. As you've noticed, you score can depend a LOT on your testing environment and your mental state before and during the exam. So I'd recommend that at this point, focus on getting yourself into the best mental state as you can for the exam. That means getting enough sleep each night, doing some light exercise if you can, eating healthy, and practicing techniques to overcome stress and stay focused on the exam. Here are some articles that talk about tips for doing this:

And here are a few articles that should help with pacing:

Best of luck!! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 11:57
MagooshExpert wrote:
ThatKickassGirl wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for any help!

Hi ThatKickassGirl! Carolyn from Magoosh here :-)

First of all, it's very normal to see some variation, even a lot of variation, in your practice test scores. As you've noticed, you score can depend a LOT on your testing environment and your mental state before and during the exam. So I'd recommend that at this point, focus on getting yourself into the best mental state as you can for the exam. That means getting enough sleep each night, doing some light exercise if you can, eating healthy, and practicing techniques to overcome stress and stay focused on the exam. Here are some articles that talk about tips for doing this:

And here are a few articles that should help with pacing:

Best of luck!! :-)
-Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

I guess you were right!... It might have been test anxiety that brought my scores down in the mocks. Nevertheless, I finally completed my GMAT exam on 6th December. These are my scores:

OA: 720
Q-50
V-38
IR- 6

phew! I'm done with these tests! :-D
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 15:13
ThatKickassGirl wrote:
Hi Carolyn,

I guess you were right!... It might have been test anxiety that brought my scores down in the mocks. Nevertheless, I finally completed my GMAT exam on 6th December. These are my scores:

OA: 720
Q-50
V-38
IR- 6

phew! I'm done with these tests! :-D

Hi ThatKickassGirl -

Awesome, that's so great to hear!! Congratulations! :-D

Magoosh Test Prep

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need Help! My GMATPrep score has suddenly fallen down! &nbs [#permalink] 08 Dec 2017, 15:13

Need Help! My GMATPrep score has suddenly fallen down!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap