GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

08:00 PM EST

09:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. Wednesday, February 20th at 8 PM EST
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.

Need Help on GMAT score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Need Help on GMAT score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 11:00
Hey,
i appeared for GMAT on 23 rd January , 2019.I decided to go for 12.30 PM time slot.
I scored 610.
Break up is:-
VERBAL 34
QUANT 41
IR 6
AWA (Not received yet)
I was literally taken over after seeing my score. I didn't expect to receive such a pathetic score.
According to me, i just did well.
I chose the section order :- Quant, Verbal, IR ,AWA.
I was very disappointed on seeing my score.
I expected and prepared for a much higher score.
I started with quant section and it was going pretty well at beginning. At at middle of the section , i was very relaxed and moved slowly because i had some extra time left relating to what i have seen during my practice tests.
I don't know what the hell happened with my quant score .i just thought i was going well and questions seemed pretty decent.
I had made rough guess on few questions . May be 4 or 5, which i was not able to solve. I didn't go very deep in verifying my answers because i had practiced a lot of questions and had a flow at solving DS and PS questions. After the section ended , i was like i know it didn't go that great as i had expected, but i ll land up with a 47 at bare minimum.
My strength on GMAT has always been the quant section and that's why i chose to attempt quant section first as in to get in flow of the exam and have a cool and motivated mindset for verbal section.
I have been consistently getting 48 or 49 on quant in my mocks.
I am totally confused as in what happened wrong with my quant section.
Was i not able to solve properly, did i take it that easy to go through, did my accuracy drop down,Did i get nervous or went down under pressure.
I don't know as in what happened.
Next , Verbal section was quite as expected. 1 rc in first 10 questions( 1 st one came at q6 anyway) and one at last 7 questions.
Ran a little low on time at last fee questions and almost guessed 2 questions at end of the exam to avoid penalty.
Irony is , verbal didn't go as good and i was disheartened as i would score low on verbal.
What the things turned out little different.
I was not able to solve rc's properly because i got 2 of them on literature about some african American revolutions, but somehow managed to go through them .
Sc was fine , cr was very tough and had to spend some extra time in finalising an answer.
IR Went well . ( Was a little worried about it though.)
AWA was just fine. Not very good but i managed to use my template and i think i wrote a average decent essay.
Back to concern, i had purchased exma pack 3-4 and 5-6 from mbadotcom.
I scored 610, 690 ,650, 670.
Verbal was not consistent . Ranging from 27 to 35.
But my quant score was always 47 or 48 or 49 in every mock test from beginning to end.
My verbal score entirely depends on field of RC's i get. ( i hate literature and science topics)
I don't know what to do next.
Should i reappear or apply with this score.
I am planning to apply to University if mannheim(germany) for MIM program , CEMS MIM at university of cologne ( germany) , MIM at ucd ( dublin)
And few others.
I also have a thought to reappear as i could do much better than this score .
I had prepared for 5 months and took classroom coaching .
I has used Manhattan books for verbal and quant ( not deeply , but i went through few of them at beginning of preparation).
I used gmatclub forum questions extensively. Practicing 700 level questions of every section for more than a month with timing my practice every time.I had also solved few workout sets from Manhattan advanced quant book.
I was little out of form i think in the test. I was not able to solve a sets question at the beginning ( i never faced problem with sets questions though in my practice).
Geometry also seemed a little tough.
I don't know how things played out but i was very dissatisfied with my quant score.
Please help as i am running out of time for my applications.
If i have to reappear ,i should anyhow take it around 15 feb, 2019.
So it's just around 2 weeks for my second attempt and i have no clue where to start and what to do.
I have also used manhattan paid tests for 50 $ and free tests from veritas, kaplan, 800score etc.

If i go in for reattempt, i want to get a 670 minimum.
Sorry for a very long message!
Thankyou in advance.

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need Help on GMAT score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 13:02
Hi abbysahni,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. This Official Score is similar to the initial CAT Score (590) that you mentioned in another post. Thus, it's possible that you had a bit of a 'bad day' when you took the Official GMAT, but there are other possibilities that we have to consider. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) On what dates did you take each of your CATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 20:10
abbysahni wrote:
I don't know what the hell happened with my quant score .i just thought i was going well and questions seemed pretty decent.
Do you think getting an ESR for this attempt would help?

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 01:42
Hi Rich,
thank you for taking out time to reply.
I don't remember the exact dates of my mocks. But the recent ones that i took before the test were official paid tests of mbadotcom. I gave the first one on 7 th January and scored 590 Q 45 and V 26.
And the next test i took on 10 th January and Scored 640 q 48 i think.
And the next 2 tests on 3 days gap in next week. Scored 690 and 660 i think. I am not able to access my official gmat practice page at this moment so couldn't get the exact dates and distribution.
I had practiced quant very extensively so that i could manage the scenario of little low verbal score on test day.
I don't know what happened in the test but i think i was not able to give my best or i was not able to solve properly.
Whatsoever may be the reason, quant was compromised.
I gave all the 4 tests properly by maintaining as near as possible test day scenario. I didn't write the awa for any of them.
But gave all the other 3 sections in one sitting with exact time breaks.
Few questions reappeared on test 5 and 6 . Around 2 or 3 in quant and 3 or 4 in verbal. Not more than that.
Please help as in how should i approach my preparation now.
Do i need to start again from scratch and go through everything again. ( Sadly i don't have much time).
Do you think I should purchase the ESR from GMAC?
Will it be helpful and worth in my situation?
Thankyou Again for taking out time to reply.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 12:33
Hi abbysahni,

Since you appear to be working under a short timeline, it's important to define that timeline in the proper detail so that we can put together an appropriate plan.

1) When is your next Test Date scheduled?
2) What are the exact application deadlines for the Schools that you plan to apply to?
3) What is the minimum GMAT Score that you would apply with?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 03:51
Hi rich,
I am planning to take the GMAT around 20 th feb ,2019.
Deadlines for my shortlisted schools are mostly in april. So , i can take the exam in February comfortably.
I am planning it around 20 th because I am also planning for MIM program in EDHEC business school ,which has the deadline on 25 th feb,2019.
So, if i ll be ready by 20th , i still have 5 days to apply. I know i would need to rush my application for edhec in a short span of time, but it's just one fight to tackle. For rest of the universities i have decent time to manage my applications.
Talking of score, I ll get started with my process with a score above or equal to 650.
I ll try to push the limits as high as i can , rest depends on what happens on test day .
But i strongly desire to cross 680.
Thankyou for taking out time to reply. Your help is highly appreciated.

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 17:51
Hi abbysahni,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. Given that your practice test scores ranged from 610 to 670 (when seeing some repeated questions), I would not call 610 a total catastrophe, right? That being said, in order to improve your GMAT score, you really need to spend some serious time improving your GMAT quant and verbal skills. Thus, I’m not sure what kind of improvement you can expect to achieve by February 15. Is there any way you could apply to a later round and take your GMAT at a later date?

If there is no way you can push you exam, then over the next few weeks, you need to follow a plan that allows you to go through GMAT quant and verbal carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

Certainly, if you take the exam in a few weeks and your score does not improve, please reach back out and we can discuss a longer-term plan for how to improve your GMAT score, OK?

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 20:05
Hi abbysahni,

With your current Test Date, you have a little less than 3 weeks of study time remaining. While you could potentially raise this 610 to a 650 in that time, a 680+ Score would likely require closer to 1.5 - 2 months of consistent, guided study. Based on your recent Official Score, you could pick up all of the points needed to hit 650 in just the Quant section, just the Verbal section or a 'mix' of both. This is meant to say that you don't currently have enough time to hone all of your various Quant and Verbal skills, so you might want to focus on a few 'big point' areas.

While the Enhanced Score Report doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 09:40
hey Rich, thankyou for taking out time to reply .
i have purchased the ESR and would like you to shed some light on it. i strongly hope that with the help of your expertise and my practice , i can get out of this rushed race with ease and success.
Attachments

610 ESR.pdf [509.18 KiB]
Downloaded 6 times

To download please login or register as a user

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 13:52
Hi abbysahni,

I've sent you a PM with some notes on your ESR and some additional suggestions.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need Help on GMAT score   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2019, 13:52

Need Help on GMAT score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap