Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:34 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22071 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4099 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Need help on what to do next-just got a 490... [#permalink]
given your CAT score in quant versus exam score the drop is significant..
there must be some exam day anxiety which got hold of you ... try buying gmat club tests and practise from there along with official quiz packs .. for topics in which you are weak study them from mgmat books..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
JoyceH wrote:
Hi, all
I had my first test yesterday and got a 490 (Q31 V25), which makes me really sad after 6 months of preparation. I used Manhattan Prep on demand and finished all the lessons and OG questions. Now, I have no idea what to do next before my next exam. Could anyone give me some advice based on your experience? Also, should I order ESR? Will that be helpful?

My background:
- non-native speaker
- studied at least 20 hours a week for the last six months
Material used:
- Manhattan Prep on demand
- OG 2022
CAT Exams:
CAT1 500 Q37 V22
CAT2 530 Q37 V27
CAT3 580 Q43 V27
CAT4 590 Q41 V31
GMAT Practice Exam 600 Q45 V27

On the test day: I know I screwed up on Quant when I found questions were easy and I was ahead of time, but I don't know what went wrong :cry:

Hoping someone could give me some guidance :please: Thank you!

It seems you made serious mistakes in 1st quarter. That can be the reason why you feel tests easy but didn't get desired score. I recommend to analyze ESR and improve weaknesses.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi JoyceH,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Have you used any other study materials besides the course and book you listed?
2) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Need help on what to do next-just got a 490... [#permalink]
Thank you so much for all your reply! Feel so supported :blushing:
GmatKnightTutor : Already placed my order for Quant and Verbal review 2022 guides :thumbsup:
ScottTargetTestPrep : I will read the article right away.
Archit3110 : You're right. I didn't "feel" nervous, but I probably did panic and just didn't realize it. :cry:
ANK99 : I will order ESR and find out what to improve (and what happened in 1st quarter :facepalm: ).
EMPOWERgmatRichC :
1) I also watched some YouTube for topics I'm weak at, but that's all, no other materials.
2) The first two CAT were quite far apart. CAT3&4 and official practice were each 1 week apart before my test day.
3) 600. Originally, I was targeted for 650, but I realized my verbal score was too low.
4) I'm applying to schools in Japan this year. Round 1 ends next month, so if I can't plan my next test before it, I will go for round 2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi JoyceH,

If you have a list of specific Schools that you are interested in, then you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to implement those suggestions, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

I've also sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V46
Send PM
To improve your score, consider focusing on specific weak areas within Quant and Verbal by reviewing your CAT and GMAT Practice Exam results. It might be helpful to supplement your preparation with targeted study materials for those areas, such as additional Quant and Verbal guides or online resources.

Ordering an Enhanced Score Report (ESR) can provide valuable insights into your test performance, pinpointing areas that need improvement. Additionally, consider seeking guidance from a GMAT tutor or joining a study group to get personalized help and strategies. Keep practicing and maintain a positive mindset; improvement is possible with dedication and the right resources. Good luck! 📚💪😊
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30805 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi

Firstly, we are sorry to know that the test did not go well.

The score and its breakup does indicate that all the sections/subsections need improvement. We suggest that you write to us at support@e-gmat.com. Our strategy experts would help you structure your entire Roadmap for you. You can also create your prep Roadmap- https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crjuX1VQ6AX

We hope this helps
GMAT Club Bot