Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Need Help..Retaking GMat in about 35 days [#permalink]
Using MGMAT maths series , i increased my score from 48 to 50-51
Give it a try..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have to take it again because of Feb.1 Deadlines for PhD programs.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tim,

You can't trust your ear while giving GMAT. The logic used in GMAT CR is bit interesting, so you need to give some time on that.

Try these books:

1/ Power Score CR bible. Don't read it all. Let me know if you want me to tell you the page numbers you should focus on. GMAT authors have very typical way of thinking in their GMAT centric way. If they say something is hapening due to something, they mean that it can't happen due to any other thing. Such sort of very important info you can find in this book.

2/ Try Kaplan Verbal Supplement for RC: It's very crisp and it tells you to focus on the gist of the passage and to watch for changes in the tone. Passages are very easy to understand if you see what they really are. Authors have a very set patters in their passages.

General pattern is something like:
1/ They introduce a theory in first paragraph, and then they tell that there are alternate theories. They explain these theories.
2/ Watch out for conjunctive adverbs: furthermore, however, etc.
3/ Watch out for things such as examples. Examples elaborate the idea that was presented before. So if you don't understand what was in the previous sentence, you can see the example and try to deduce it.

You can drastically improve your quant score. Go through the maths books by Manhattan. Though they may take time as they are bit lengthy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Someone79,

Thanks for the reply. I have purchased manhattan two of the manhattan series math books (number properties and word translations) I also have the OG guide 12 and Manhattan Verbal book. I will also purchase the Power Score CR bible and it would be so helpful if you could tell me the pages to focus on. Now that I think about it..when I got stuck on the test I did refer to what I thought "sounded" good and I'm sure that had to do a lot with my mistakes...I have started the Manhattan Math books and they are really good. I only got those two since I felt like those are my weakest areas and I want to make sure I'm able to go through them in time...but yes if you can give me the page numbers of the Power Score CR bible that would be so so helfpul. Thanks so much for your response and for your help!

Tim
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am sorry that I couldn't post the pages y'day. Skip chapter 1 and start reading 2. I will post the pages today. My son is sick so couldn't get time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much...it will be so helpful
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37316 posts