GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 21:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need help with score improvement in verbal

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2019
Posts: 8
Location: India
GPA: 3.11
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2020, 12:20
1
Hello Experts,

I am preparing for GMAT since last 2 months (self preparing). I have completed Manhattan guides and official guides but i still don't see a score improvements for verbal.
I have taken 2 official practice test and the score for verbal remains unchanged(v 25)
Can you please provide in some tips how can i improve so.
Two main problems which I felt were one timing issue which made me rush through last questions
2nd Sentence correction. Even after spending a considerable time studying it I fail to apply the concepts in real test.

Thanks
Pyunika
Sloan MIT School Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 890
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2020, 12:49
3
pyunika wrote:
Hello Experts,

I am preparing for GMAT since last 2 months (self preparing). I have completed Manhattan guides and official guides but i still don't see a score improvements for verbal.
I have taken 2 official practice test and the score for verbal remains unchanged(v 25)
Can you please provide in some tips how can i improve so.
Two main problems which I felt were one timing issue which made me rush through last questions
2nd Sentence correction. Even after spending a considerable time studying it I fail to apply the concepts in real test.

Thanks
Pyunika

Hi, Pyunika
I am glad to help. There is a strategy to approach the SC questions
You can watch the videos from this playlist https://youtu.be/HsWkOkr1Qt4

Now I can definitely device a strategy for you should you choose free consulting session from me, link in signature
But I would highly recommend not to use any other tests any further
Try to revise the official guide again, do the questions again, try to solve using the grammar logics that you will find in numerous site over the club and other places

Check if the right answer is right for the grammar reasons and is not a guess.
Work on reading comprehension through LSAT material available on GMAT Club
CR as well

When you see that you are good in questions, i.e. all the answers are right due to technical reasons, take a test, official one.
Then find your key weakness areas, chances are it will be because of time. Improve more on your skills, and follow up in a week or two.
And have a look here:

And see this strategy for a generalised idea https://gmatclub.com/forum/beginner-to-advanced-strategy-that-worked-v31-to-v38-to-v40-300070.html#p2313182
_________________
https://consulting-business-conqueror.business.site/?m=true
https://kartiknimbalkaralp.wixsite.com/website
Want free Admissions consulting?
Free Admissions and GMAT consulting GMAT Club special
No spams No bullshit; Purely FACT BASED SOCIAL SERVICE
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1706
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2020, 21:56
pyunika wrote:
Two main problems which I felt were one timing issue which made me rush through last questions
2nd Sentence correction.

Hi Pyunika, since you mention SC as your specific area of concern, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

See here how Mohit, who scored 750 on GMAT, vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.
_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT-99th Percentile, MBA - ISB Hyderabad
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for GMAT Live Online Classes worldwide
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 29 Jan 2015
Posts: 1484
Location: India
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 05:04
pyunika wrote:
Hello Experts,

I am preparing for GMAT since last 2 months (self preparing). I have completed Manhattan guides and official guides but i still don't see a score improvements for verbal.
I have taken 2 official practice test and the score for verbal remains unchanged(v 25)
Can you please provide in some tips how can i improve so.
Two main problems which I felt were one timing issue which made me rush through last questions
2nd Sentence correction. Even after spending a considerable time studying it I fail to apply the concepts in real test.

Thanks
Pyunika


Hi pyunika,

Welcome to GMATCLUB! To improve your scores in verbal specifically in SC, you can consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Further you should also consider LSAT Questions for some great RC practice.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2019
Posts: 8
Location: India
GPA: 3.11
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 06:44
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try to follow some of the strategies for a week and then try to follow up again.

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
V
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 9895
Location: United States (CA)
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 07:39
Hi pyunika,

Here is some general advice you can follow to improve your verbal skills. I’ll start with CR.

When studying Critical Reasoning, you need to ensure that you fully understand the essence of the various Critical Reasoning question types. Do you know the importance of an assumption within an argument? Can you easily spot a conclusion? Do you know how to resolve a paradox? Do you know how to properly evaluate cause and effect? Do you know how to properly weaken or strengthen an argument? These are just a few examples; you really need to take a deep dive into the individual Critical Reasoning topics to develop the necessary skills to properly attack any Critical Reasoning questions that you encounter.

As you learn each Critical Reasoning problem type, do focused practice so that you can track your skill in answering each type of question. If, for example, you incorrectly answered a Weaken the Argument question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you read a paragraph, consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. You can perfect your reading strategy with a lot of practice, but keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be stimulating. So, to better prepare yourself to tackle such bland passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the New York Times, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Sentence Correction is a bit of a different animal compared to Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning. There are three aspects to getting correct answers to GMAT Sentence Correction questions: what you know, such as grammar rules, what you see, such as violations of grammar rules and the logic of sentence structure, and what you do, such as carefully considering each answer choice in the context of the non-underlined portion of the sentence. To drive up your Sentence Correction score, you likely will have to work on all three of those aspects. Furthermore, the likely reason that your Sentence Correction performance has not improved is that you have not been working on all three of those aspects.

Regarding what you know, to be successful in Sentence Correction, first and foremost, you MUST know your grammar rules. Let's be clear, though: GMAT Sentence Correction is not just a test of knowledge of grammar rules. The reason for learning grammar rules is so that you can determine what sentences convey and whether sentences are well-constructed. In fact, in many cases, incorrect answers to Sentence Correction questions are grammatically flawless. Thus, often your task is to use your knowledge of grammar rules to determine which answer choice creates the most logical sentence meaning and structure.

This determination of whether sentences are well-constructed and logical is the second aspect of finding correct answers to Sentence Correction questions, what you see. To develop this skill, you probably have to slow way down. You won't develop this skill by spending under two minutes per question. For a while, anyway, you have to spend time with each question, maybe even ten or fifteen minutes on one question sometimes, analyzing every answer choice until you see the details that you have to see in order to choose the correct answer. As you go through the answer choices, consider the meaning conveyed by each version of the sentence. Does the meaning make sense? Even if you can tell what the version is SUPPOSED to convey, does the version really convey that meaning? Is there a verb to go with the subject? Do all pronouns in the sentence clearly refer to nouns in the sentence? By slowing way down and looking for these details, you learn to see what you have to see in order to clearly understand which answer to a Sentence Correction question is correct.

There is only one correct answer to any Sentence Correction question, there are clear reasons why that choice is correct and the others are not, and those reasons are not that the correct version simply "sounds right." In fact, the correct version often sounds a little off at first. That correct answers may sound a little off is not surprising. If the correct answers were always the ones that sounded right, then most people most of the time would get Sentence Correction questions correct, without really knowing why the wrong answers were wrong and the correct answers were correct. So, you have to go beyond choosing what "sounds right" and learn to clearly see the logical reasons why one choice is better than all of the others.

As for the third aspect of getting Sentence Correction questions correct, what you do, the main thing you have to do is be very careful. You have to make sure that you are truly considering the structures of sentences and the meanings conveyed rather than allowing yourself to be tricked into choosing trap answers that sound right but don't convey meanings that make sense. You also have to make sure that you put some real energy into finding the correct answers. Finding the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question may take bouncing from choice to choice repeatedly until you start to see the differences between the choices that make all choices wrong except for one. Often, when you first look at the choices in a Sentence Correction question, only one or two seem obviously incorrect. It may take time for you to see what you have to see. Getting the right answers takes a certain work ethic. You have to be determined to see the differences and to figure out the precise reasons that one choice is correct.

To improve what you do when you answer Sentence Correction questions, seek to become aware of how you are going about answering them. For instance, are you being careful and looking for logic and details, or are you quickly eliminating choices that sound a little off and then choosing the best of the rest? If you choose an incorrect answer, consider what you did that resulted in your arriving at that answer and what you could do differently in order to arrive at correct answers more consistently. Furthermore, see how many questions you can get correct in a row as you practice. If you break your streak by missing one, consider what you could have done differently that would have extended your streak.

As with your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension regiments, after learning a particular Sentence Correction topic, engage in focused practice with 30 questions or more that involve that topic. As your Sentence Correction skills improve, you’ll then want to practice with SC questions that test you on skills from multiple SC topics.

Ultimately, if you are unable to learn and practice in the manner described above, you may consider looking for additional verbal prep resources. If you are unsure of which resources to choose, check out some reviews here on GMAT Club.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
197 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Manager
Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 29 Oct 2019
Posts: 216
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 09:32
pyunika wrote:
Hello Experts,

I am preparing for GMAT since last 2 months (self preparing). I have completed Manhattan guides and official guides but i still don't see a score improvements for verbal.
I have taken 2 official practice test and the score for verbal remains unchanged(v 25)
Can you please provide in some tips how can i improve so.
Two main problems which I felt were one timing issue which made me rush through last questions
2nd Sentence correction. Even after spending a considerable time studying it I fail to apply the concepts in real test.

Thanks
Pyunika



I also experienced similar difficulties as you did. I got some improvements when started using an online test prep (e-GMAT). I think it can help one to score well.

Thank you.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 16319
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 21:06
Hi Pyunika,

From what you've described, your studies so far have been "book heavy"; unfortunately, many GMATers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials for this next phase of your studies.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2019
Posts: 8
Location: India
GPA: 3.11
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 21:13
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Pyunika,

From what you've described, your studies so far have been "book heavy"; unfortunately, many GMATers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials for this next phase of your studies.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Studies:
1) I am able to study 3-4 hours each day
2) 15/11/2019 - q49 v 20
22/01/2020 - q 49 v 25
I have also taken vertias free mock test 15/12/2019 - q 47 v 23

Goals- goal 700+
4) I am planning to take it by end of Feb 2020
5) I am planning for Jan 2022 intake for us and uk business schools

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 16319
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 21:22
Hi Pyunika,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 3 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 600 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Verbal Scaled Scores in the low V20s mean that you're losing significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (RC, SC and CR). Raising your current Scores to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 1.5 - 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you're going to have to stay focused on learning and practicing the proper Verbal Tactics. If you think that you 'need' a 700+ to apply to Business School, then you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2019
Posts: 8
Location: India
GPA: 3.11
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2020, 21:29
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Pyunika,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 3 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 600 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Verbal Scaled Scores in the low V20s mean that you're losing significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (RC, SC and CR). Raising your current Scores to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 1.5 - 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you're going to have to stay focused on learning and practicing the proper Verbal Tactics. If you think that you 'need' a 700+ to apply to Business School, then you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


1) I am flexible with GMAT dates like pushing it for a month
2) I will be able to study4-5 hours daily

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 1057
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 00:41
pyunika wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Pyunika,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 3 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 600 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Verbal Scaled Scores in the low V20s mean that you're losing significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (RC, SC and CR). Raising your current Scores to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 1.5 - 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you're going to have to stay focused on learning and practicing the proper Verbal Tactics. If you think that you 'need' a 700+ to apply to Business School, then you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


1) I am flexible with GMAT dates like pushing it for a month
2) I will be able to study4-5 hours daily

Posted from my mobile device


Don't get disappointed if your score does not improve immediately. The verbal section takes a considerable amount of effort to improve.

All the best!
_________________
________________
Manish :geek:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 16319
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 17:02
Hi Pyunika,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes and questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need help with score improvement in verbal   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2020, 17:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Need help with score improvement in verbal

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne