GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 09 Apr 2020, 15:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

BEGINNER TO ADVANCED- Strategy that worked V31 to V38 to V40

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Sloan MIT School Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
BEGINNER TO ADVANCED- Strategy that worked V31 to V38 to V40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jul 2019, 16:01
If you came here, it is probably because you want to improve yourself on GMAT.
Don't bother if you've finished the material
Don't worry if you've been struggling

Ohk I'll be upfront with you. Don't waste time in making excel sheet of the hours you've spent studying. It truly is a waste of time given that you get online access to all the OG material, on gmat.wiley.com. The metric option takes care of that for you.
Secondly, AWA is a cut off factor, if you have an AWA of 4.5 or 5, good enough, no one cares even if you get a 6. Something like that goes for IR, the rejection factor, if it comes to the Adcom that a tie between few candidates is creating an issue, they do use IR as a rejecting factor. I've seen two 720 scorers dinged for the same reason. I can say that you can get at least 5 in IR with decent prep. IR 6-8 is good.

Now regarding the practice.
Make sure that you learn every concept in OG properly, Sentence correction can be an issue in which you could benefit from courses such as Jamboree, Empowergmat, manhattan, or magoosh, or any other courses that you prefer.

DONOT USE THE REVIEW

Wait, don't get me wrong, what I'm trying to say is that it is the official material that you'll need to attain momentum before test. So after you're done with OG, take GMAT Prep test 1, remember, you have 6 tests ( empowergmat gives you all the tests codes for free for subscription, jamboree gives 2(test 5&6)). Make sure before you give the test to pace yourself and not to pause anywhere in between the tests, breaks included, take only 8 mins (or less) for break. As soon as you get the score, You'll receive a sectional score and the chart of all questions (I'd not suggest you to see solution if your score is less than 600). If your score is above 600, buy the practice questions from the mba store(official site). It will help you prepare more from official questions. Then after 5-6 days, as soon as you're finished with question pack, give test 2, check your progress. If the score goes near 660- 680 (or more), time to gain the momentum; START THE REVIEW BOOKS, keep practising and finish it within a week or so, best use the online access to pace yourself and to save time. After it's over take test 5, don't be disappointed if you get a lower score than 700, the quant is essentially more daunting than test 1. Brush up your concepts in 2-3 days, give test 6, you'll probably reach a 700.

Now before giving test 3&4, give all the unofficial mocks, not to improve score but to improve speed. DO NOT CARE ABOUT UNOFFICIAL TEST SCORES.

If you're not confident revise the review phase again
Give test 3 and see where you stand.
If you're happy with the scores book a test date 7 days from then
Brush up for two days give test 4.
If you're near your target score. Give the test.
If you're not, practice where you're weak, or feeling weak, gain momentum again and repeat the process.

Now if you're ready to give the tests, just review all the questions of the tests, see where you went wrong, you can practice the EP questions on GMAT Club too.
I suggested not to see solutions of tests initially because you might repeat those tests again if you're still not ready. And when questions repeat, your score inflates. So its better to be safe than sorry.

Sorry for a long post.
If you really think that my post has helped you even partly, a gratitude in form of like would mean a lot to me.

P.S.
Stick to official material during the momentum phase, no outside material should hinder your test prep.
You can/should refer to the other material in practice phase i.e along with OG.
2-3 hours for quant and 2 hours for verbal will be sufficient.

Disclaimer- Technique worked for a sample of individuals; GMAT has experimental questions too that can inflate/deflate your score on actual test day; luck factor is not covered in this strategy. However, if you're doing all the official material with care, you'll get a score good enough for an ivy league. Score may vary with IQ of an individual.

The following individuals have always helped me during my preparation, check out their posts for extra material
souvik101990 bb SajjadAhmad carcass
Bunuel Narenn EMPOWERgmatRichC
Free Admissions and GMAT consulting GMAT Club special
No spams No bullshit; Purely FACT BASED SOCIAL SERVICE

Originally posted by Businessconquerer on 13 Jul 2019, 06:26.
Last edited by Businessconquerer on 13 Jul 2019, 16:01, edited 2 times in total.
Board of Directors
D
Re: BEGINNER TO ADVANCED- Strategy that worked V31 to V38 to V40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 07:02
Top Contributor
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 07:34
carcass wrote:
The following individuals, it sounds sort of persons wanted dead or alive :-D

Great points :thumbup:

Hahahahaha, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Does indeed sound like it

Thanks pal.
I want to help anyone who is struggling as I did.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 18:49
What if I used all 6 GMAC Prep tests and reviewed them. What other practice tests should I take now to gauge my performance?

Great post thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 19:13
YazedMA you can try Manhattanprep CATs. While their Quant is quite hard, Verbal is realistic and comparable to a real thing. Tests from Veritas might be another good option. Good luck.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 20:32
Hi YazedMA,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, but retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion).

That having been said, it's important to remember that each CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) What is your overall goal score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 22:07
Hi mykrasovski - thank you for the piece of advice. Unfortunately, I used all 6 Manhattan Prep tests. My next option may be Veritas or GMAT club CATs.

Hi Rich- thank you very much for your detailed answer. Here is my story.

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?

I have been studying GMAT over a year from August 2018 until now and I have been struggling with GMAT. It has been really tough since I have been stuck at 470 for a long time.
I typically study about 15 hours a week.

2) What study materials have you used so far?

I used all Manhattan 10 books and e-gmat for SC and RC. I am currently using powerscore for CR and may buy powerscore for RC.

3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

I took all 6 Manhattan prep tests twice (12 in total) and I took all GMAC practice tests 1 to 6. I also took the first two twice. I took the real GMAT four times so far. The list below shows my scores along with their splits.

Manhattan Prep:

CAT 5A Completed 5/5/2019 550 (Q35, V31)
CAT 4A Completed 4/14/2019 550 (Q35, V31)
CAT 3A Completed 4/7/2019 570 (Q37, V31)
CAT 2A Completed 3/10/2019 580 (Q38, V31)
CAT 1A Completed 3/4/2019 580 (Q39, V31)
CAT 6 Completed 2/17/2019 440 (Q28, V24)
CAT 5 Completed 12/23/2018 500 (Q39, V20)
CAT 4 Completed 11/11/2018 510 (Q38, V22)
CAT 3 Completed 10/28/2018 500 (Q38, V21)
CAT 2 Completed 10/7/2018 550 (Q37, V29)
CAT 1 Completed 8/19/2018 530 (Q38 ,V25)

GMAC Practice tests:

GMAC practice test 1 Completed Aug 11 2018 340 (Q25, V12)
GMAC practice test 1 Completed Jul 21 2019 480 (Q37, V20) (second time)
GMAC practice test 2 Completed Jun 07 2019 460 (Q34, V20)
GMAC practice test 2 Completed Jun 15 2019 570 (Q45, V23) (second time)
GMAC practice test 3 Completed Sep 01 2019 550 (Q40, V25)
GMAC practice test 4 Completed Sep 21 2019 490 (Q31, V26)
GMAC practice test 5 Completed Oct 05 2019 460 (Q35, V18)
GMAC practice test 6 Completed Oct 19 2019 470 (Q35, V20)

Real GMAT:

GMAT Completed Nov 11 2018 Cancelled but score was under 400
GMAT Completed Jul 03 2019 460 (Q39, V16)
GMAT Completed Jul 31 2019 470 (Q35, V20)
GMAT Completed Nov 04 2019 480 (Q37, V19)

4) What is your overall goal score?

My goal is to get at least 650.

Overall, I think I did not extract all the possible lessons from all the practice questions I solved whether I answered them correctly or not. I just noticed that I have a time management problem in the verbal section. RC consumes so much time from me during the test. I may skip one of the 4 RCs in the future and probably the third one to save some time and not to rush through the last 10 questions. I also did not take my review log seriously. I mean I typed in all the questions I was not able to answer under 2 min, but I never reviewed the log.

Rich- any help from you or the GMAT club community members will be greatly appreciated as this GMAT journey turned out harder than I expected.

Thank you,
Yazed
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 08:42
YazedMA wrote:
What if I used all 6 GMAC Prep tests and reviewed them. What other practice tests should I take now to gauge my performance?

Great post thanks!

Not to publicise but I will ALWAYS suggest going for Official material.
Jamboree has converted a lot of paper based tests into digital format, the official ones. You can buy those for 29 USD.
You can definitely go for Executive assessment tests, QP and other official material available in Mba.com store.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 12:21
Hi Yazed,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes and questions.

Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 12:30
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Yazed,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes and questions.

Rich

Could you add that here? I really think it would help others who read the thread and the 7 people who have bookmarked my post
GMAT Club Bot
Re: BEGINNER TO ADVANCED- Strategy that worked V31 to V38 to V40   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2019, 12:30

BEGINNER TO ADVANCED- Strategy that worked V31 to V38 to V40

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep