Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:25 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Need help with University shortlistings! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
grawzzy:

1. Is it bold of me to apply for Indian universities like ISB given my moderate GMAT Score? Or is it worth giving a shot?

A: You can and should try, but consider it a "reach" or "dream" school.

2. Should I apply for universities like NYU for programs abroad or aim lower?

A: NYU is very competitive, but yes, look for programs abroad. That will give you many more options if your list is appropriate scoped.

3. In universities like Dartmouth (MEM) and Duke Fuqua where GMAT is optional/not required - Do I stand a chance?

A: Yes, but not seeing the "wow" factor in your profile for such schools. There might be more to your background than you shared (which is common!), but based on the surface you probably need to aim lower.

Not that the GMAT is everything, but would you consider retaking the exam?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
grawzzy wrote:
Hey guys, I just attempted my GMAT Focus Edition this weekend and I needed some advice here on the channel regarding my next moves.

I scored a 72 Percentile on the GMAT Focus (595 score - It translates to a 650 equivalent on the classic GMAT). It was between 615-655 in my mocks but somehow it didn't work that well in the end. However, I don't want to overthink now.

Here's a bit about my background:

1. I am a 25-year-old Indian with a BTech. in Mechanical Engineering (Graduated in 2020) with a decent GPA.

2. As a University Extra Curricular I handled a team of 16 members for an international Aero Design competition in the US.

3. I have 2.5 years of Professional work experience in the field of Business Development and Operations - (1.5 years as an associate for an NYC based LLC startup and almost 1 year as a Category Manager for an Indian Unicorn Startup).

4. I also have a creative side to myself where I have an unpublished writing portfolio (Of poems).

5. I am looking to pursue a career in Marketing/ Product Management - My ideology here being that I am looking for a change as I feel that marketing as a field allows one to create a much bigger impact on the organization/industry. My operational background will bring a unique perspective to marketing, as I have the ability to understand and optimize processes.

With this in mind, I was hoping to understand where my applications stand at present:

1. Is it bold of me to apply for Indian universities like ISB given my moderate GMAT Score? Or is it worth giving a shot?

3. In universities like Dartmouth (MEM) and Duke Fuqua where GMAT is optional/not required - Do I stand a chance?

Any other suggestions or clarifications are welcome!

Hello grawzzy,

Hope this finds you well.

You must definitely retake the GMAT because even though your profile has its merits, your GMAT, in itself, is fairly low.

We wouldn't recommend applying without a GMAT score; it places all the emphasis on your profile and does not put you at any serious advantage.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
The Red Pen Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
grawzzy wrote:
Hey guys, I just attempted my GMAT Focus Edition this weekend and I needed some advice here on the channel regarding my next moves.

I scored a 72 Percentile on the GMAT Focus (595 score - It translates to a 650 equivalent on the classic GMAT). It was between 615-655 in my mocks but somehow it didn't work that well in the end. However, I don't want to overthink now.

Here's a bit about my background:

1. I am a 25-year-old Indian with a BTech. in Mechanical Engineering (Graduated in 2020) with a decent GPA.

2. As a University Extra Curricular I handled a team of 16 members for an international Aero Design competition in the US.

3. I have 2.5 years of Professional work experience in the field of Business Development and Operations - (1.5 years as an associate for an NYC based LLC startup and almost 1 year as a Category Manager for an Indian Unicorn Startup).

4. I also have a creative side to myself where I have an unpublished writing portfolio (Of poems).

5. I am looking to pursue a career in Marketing/ Product Management - My ideology here being that I am looking for a change as I feel that marketing as a field allows one to create a much bigger impact on the organization/industry. My operational background will bring a unique perspective to marketing, as I have the ability to understand and optimize processes.

With this in mind, I was hoping to understand where my applications stand at present:

Any other suggestions or clarifications are welcome!

"
Hello grawzzy,

Here's what I think. You need to do a free profile audit with us which can help us understand your cultural background, financial plans, long-term goals, interests, academic performance, and professional expertise. Basis this discussion, we'll know how important is your GMAT in sync with your profile for the schools you aspire to get into.

Our consultants hail from diverse backgrounds, including 15 of the top 20 global business schools, including Wharton, Columbia, INSEAD, HEC Paris, NYU Stern, UCLA Anderson, Cornell Johnson, IESE Business School, and others. We combine our expertise and play off each other’s competencies to tailor our services to your requirements.

You can call us at +91 9820491179 or even block a slot with them to discuss this in detail.

At the heart of The Red Pen is our commitment to finding the ‘best-fit’ institution for every applicant. "
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi grawzzy

Although it's only part of your application, I'd strongly recommend you consider retaking the GMAT.

While your score isn't bad, given you're part of the overrepresented category, you need a more standout GMAT score to push your application to the top.

The key thing is figuring out what critical gaps are holding your score back. Our diagnostic sessions often reveal that test taking skills are as big problem as conceptual knowledge. We can discuss in a private call if you're interested.

Let me know if you're interested by DM.

Arvind
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi grawzzy

Defining what is a reach, target and safe school requires a deeper look at your background. We can discuss in a free call if you're interested. At the very least, you'll get a clearer picture about where to focus your efforts and whether your GMAT score needs improvement to be competitive.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best

Vin
GMAT Club Bot