GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 Feb 2020, 13:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need Rate (score) Estimate for my Essay Q1

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Need Rate (score) Estimate for my Essay Q1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 05:22
Question 1:
Summarize the points made in the lecture, being sure to explain how they cast doubt on specific points made in the reading passage.

Summary I made (since I am new and can not post listening part ) :

Point Made in the Reading Passage
Companies will profit from four-day workers because these workers will be more alert and make fewer mistakes in their work.
A policy of having four-day workers opens up more jobs and could reduce unemployment nationwide.
The extra day off would improve individuals’ quality of life by allowing them more time with family and more leisure time.

Contrasting Point from the Lecture

Company profits could actually decrease due to extra money companies will need to spend on health benefits, training, space, or equipment for extra workers.
Unemployment may not decrease because companies could just ask workers to work overtime, or expect four-day workers to complete five days of work in four days.
The quality of life of people working four-day weeks could suffer because they could have fewer chances for career advancement or be more likely to be laid off.

---------------------------------------------------- My Answer -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The lecturer disagree with the author about what he said that offering employee four days will increase companies profit, effect economic conditions, or enhancing their quality life. He supported that with the following point:

Firstly, offering employee the option of four days a week will result in spending more money because as this option will result in decreasing employee pay rate with 20%, there will be a need to hire more employee to do the same amount of work, which means that they need to spend money on training, health insurance, and more office space.

Secondly, as the author state that this will result in reducing employment rate, the fact is that not all job are available for four days a week, other thing is that employer might ask employee for overtime to finish the work because of the expectation that they should be able finish the same amount of work that they used to finish in five days.

Thirdly, Offering this option will result in more free time, which will lead to several things, like risking their life quality since they will get less paid, reduce job stability and stopping them from getting promotions as some positions like in management require a full time five days a week work.
---------------------------------------------------- My Answer -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
word count 215
If you can give me an estimate score from 0 to 5
GMAT Club Bot
Need Rate (score) Estimate for my Essay Q1   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2016, 05:22

Need Rate (score) Estimate for my Essay Q1

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: carcass